This part broke, what is it called?

S/N OT332928

2001 Mercury 200 efi

Made about 5 stops fishing today, but when trying to go to the next spot... the motor would not shift into gear. Reverse would work fine, but only some grinding when trying to go forward. Found this broke, sitting in the bottom of the housing. What is this called? By looking at all the adjustment threads involved with what looks like would be required to disconnect things enough to replace the whole "metal bracket".... I'm sure this will require a trip to the shop. Just curious to know what I'm talking about. I see exactly where it broke from and I'm guessing it's a slide that keeps the linkage or what ever moving properly and positioned properly??

20200509_175811.jpg
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    That is your shift - throttle cable anchor bracket. Not uncommon for them to break. Part #814283T6

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury49 View Post
    That is your shift - throttle cable anchor bracket. Not uncommon for them to break. Part #814283T6
    How complicated is it to replace? I see the 2 bolts that mount it, but just glancing at it, I was afraid I would have to mess with some stuff I wouldn't know how to adjust back right... but maybe not?
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Part # 8142834 Item 28 on parts list...….Throttle lever and shift shaft category
    Click on this link: Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories for European Marine

Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Thanks everyone.... I added it to my cart (814283T6 BRACKET-ANCHOR). Just curious if there are any additional recommended parts related to this, that would be recommended to go ahead and replace at the same time.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Need to determine why it broke!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Need to determine why it broke!
    Yeah.... but I have no idea. Cables seem to move properly when shifting. Nothing has been feeling like it was hanging up or in a bind. So... not sure how to diagnose why it broke.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Do not force it if it does not seem to shift right, also do shift it without the motor running or the prop being rotated while shifting, might be wise to start it on the muffs and be it shifts forward and reverse smoothly with shift cable disconnected, only you would know how much force has been applied. Usually this is not what fails with excess force.
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-11-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

A binding cable or problems in the lower unit would have no bearing on the part that broke here. The only thing happening here is the guide sliding back and forth. All the stress is on the front part of the bracket that’s still in tact where the adjustment barrels are held in. If something bound up tight enough to break something with the shifter handle, he would have known it. This just looks like the cheap metal that bracket is made of. I don’t know how much that new one will cost, but I’ve got one laying around if you need it.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Do not force it if it does not seem to shift right, also do shift it without the motor running the prop being rotated while shifting
    So there's no confusion, believe you meant to say do not shift without engine running or rotating prop with engine off.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    So there's no confusion, believe you meant to say do not shift without engine running or rotating prop with engine off.
    Thank you. I was pretty sure that was what he meant, but I appreciate you clearing it up.

Silverbullet02-- thanks for the offer on the part. I had ordered it (and another item) before I saw your offer.

Is this a simple install?? On the parts diagram it looks as though it is. Not effecting any adjustment settings or anything right?
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

edited, thank you, I do that all the time, think faster than I type
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    20200515_161155.jpg

What is the best way to remove these "drive screws" without damaging them? And yes I know the clip needs to be removed from the bottom one first. Do they screw in or press in?

And what grease/lube is recommended on this bracket/slide the gear cable rides on? The parts diagram just shows a tube with the #95 on it.
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 05-15-2020 at 10:57 PM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The pin is called a "screw"... so it should be threaded. I have never had reason to remove one, honestly.

2-4-C grease.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The pin is called a "screw"... so it should be threaded. I have never had reason to remove one, honestly.

2-4-C grease.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'll give it a shot if the rain ever gets out of here.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI