Thread: Panfish rods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Panfish rods?

I'm just starting to get more seriously into panfishing. I'm looking for a great panfish rod, and am open to any suggestions except st Croix.

Current frontrunner is a Loomis TSR791S GLX.

Anything else I should take a good look at before pulling the trigger?

2. Member
    I use 781 IMX's and they're hard to beat!

If you're looking for something different (ain't gonna get any better than that 791!), check out Phenix rods. They've got a wide array of trout/panfish rods...and the higher end rods are pretty sweet!

G-Rod. 7' medium light.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    When you say panfish do you mean crappie or are you including gills etc. I have some falcon slab series rods that are awesome for crappie and super cheap as well. Use them for jigging and float and fly set ups.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    When you say panfish do you mean crappie or are you including gills etc. I have some falcon slab series rods that are awesome for crappie and super cheap as well. Use them for jigging and float and fly set ups.
    Crappie and bluegill are the primary panfish in these parts. I figured they were similar enough in size that an ultralight would be the correct choice for both?

6. Member
    I've caught catfish
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:07 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod for around $20 in different lengths. Sold on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

I've caught catfish over 7 lbs with it, carp over 10 lbs and bass over 4 lbs. All species strike light lures and light action rods are essential for casting 1/32 oz jigs + plastic.
    I'm speechless.

8. Member
    In case anyone was curious, I got the GLX mentioned above. Paired with with a 1000 series daiwa ballistic and 4# tatsu, and I love it. I can feel everything. Have already landed several bass in the upper teens, a 14" walleye, and had a scare last night with an upper-30/lower 40" musky that followed a stray 12" walleye all the way up to the boat. That would have been a fight!! Lol

I really like this ultralight. It makes even an 8" crappie feel like a 5# largemouth. Lol

Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod for around $20 in different lengths. Sold on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

I've caught catfish over 7 lbs with it, carp over 10 lbs and bass over 4 lbs. All species strike light lures and light action rods are essential for casting 1/32 oz jigs + plastic.
    I have a 6.6 spinning and a 7’ 3-4wt fly. Good bang for the buck! Academy was clearing them out for $12 each and like a dumbass I only bought two. Went back and “Pfft, they were gone”.

I've bought a few 7ft from Walmart for $16.99 and you can't beat them for beetle spins, roadrunner and anything under a bobber. The reel seats and cork handles are pretty good quality too.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I have a 6.6 spinning and a 7’ 3-4wt fly. Good bang for the buck! Academy was clearing them out for $12 each and like a dumbass I only bought two. Went back and “Pfft, they were gone”.

I don't know who builds the Shakespeare blanks but i would guess they are chinese. With that said i have done a bit of ccs work with those blanks after stripping them of the cheap parts and they are all very consistent in numbers which tells me their QC people are on the job. You can buy the finished rod cheaper than most blanks and get a pretty good quality blank to rebuild on.

12. Member
    I went relatively high end on my two ultra light setups. Rods were the Daiwa KAGE and St. Croix panfish series. Expensive but I only got two. Loomis makes a fantastic rod for them as well. If you can afford it go for the higher quality.

I have bamboo cane poles, telescoping crappie poles with guides wrapped on, short rods for vertical fishing under the sonar and longer ones for float fishing. I’ll put a spinning reel on a fly rod to reach into tricky brush piles. Whatever gets the job done in the situation. Used my 45 YO hi-tech yellow Eagle Claw glass featherlight ultra-light today. Walked the bank with worms and a bobber set at 7’. Brought home a dozen bluegills big enough to fillet.

61 years old and I still get a kick out of watching that stupid float sink. Someday I might grow up.

14. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I have bamboo cane poles, telescoping crappie poles with guides wrapped on, short rods for vertical fishing under the sonar and longer ones for float fishing. I’ll put a spinning reel on a fly rod to reach into tricky brush piles. Whatever gets the job done in the situation. Used my 45 YO hi-tech yellow Eagle Claw glass featherlight ultra-light today. Walked the bank with worms and a bobber set at 7’. Brought home a dozen bluegills big enough to fillet.

61 years old and I still get a kick out of watching that stupid float sink. Someday I might grow up.
    I hope not. One of the finer things in life.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I hope not. One of the finer things in life.
    Agreed.

Buddy just picked up an Elk River custom ultralight last weekend. We fished together for two days. At $160, it's a VERY nice rod. I think one or two of them will have to join my GLX in the rod locker. Heck, I can get two of them for what another GLX will cost me... Lol

He had his heart set on a st croix tournament elite or extreme or whatever - $400 rod. Then we stopped at Elk River and he pretty much forgot st Croix even existed.

16. Member
    Check out some of the JDM rods that Alphahawk over on crappie . com uses. Pan fish forum. I have purchased a few and they are far better than anything I have found available here in the states. A number of videos by the "troutmagnetman" gives specifics.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    In case anyone was curious, I got the GLX mentioned above. Paired with with a 1000 series daiwa ballistic and 4# tatsu, and I love it. I can feel everything. Have already landed several bass in the upper teens
    So funny, I was like right your catching bass in the upper teens. Then I saw where you live. Down south we never measure the length of our bass.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

18. Member
    When Gander Mt.
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:05 AM.

19. Member
    When Gander Mt. closed its doors a few years ago locally they had a sale on Duck Commander ultra-light 6' rods. Bought two for $15 each and it's one of my best light action rods other than the one I mentioned above. Then a few days ago I looked at the remaining rod I hadn't broken and saw the address printed on the blank: bnppoles.com. The address of the one I like is https://www.bnmpoles.com/collections...oducts/dc-spin for $15 plus s/h of $14. They sell light action rods in all sizes, but the 6' is great for spinning and spincast reels with braid and cast light lures a very long distance. Hook setting ability is fine with the line type/rod combo.
    I've got some of these. they're good rods for under $20. I think BNM has them for 19.99 right now

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abarkley View Post
    I've got some of these. they're good rods for under $20. I think BNM has them for 19.99 right now
    Just
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast