Question Jackplate question/discussion

I have a 6 inch TH Marine Jackplate on a Triton TR 18 1998 model. Probably has not been adjusted ( moved up or down} in 20 years. I now have a Merc 150 HP 4/stroke on it and while it runs fairly good I thought I would tweaked it some today. It seems the threads are corroded in the adjustment nut. I can't move it up or down with a 25 inch breaker bar. I put a lot of force on it and it AIN'T moving. If I put a cheater pipe on it I am afraid I will break the adjustment bolt. Bolt appears to be 1/2 or 9/16 inch in diameter. It is single rod adjustment. I have put penetrating oil on threads hoping it will soak down into the nut. The nut is a machined piece and appears about 1 1/4 inches in diameter and about 1 1/2 inches tall. The nut is below a plate so you can't access it directly. The P. oil will take a long time if ever. I will put the P. oil on it for several days. I see no way to put heat on it safely without removing it from boat. Anybody know any good ways to free the adjustment up?
    Thanks

2. Member
    Make sure you loosen the nuts on the side of the plate first so that the plate can slide. Assuming you loosened the side nuts, try taking a rubber hammer or something heavy and hitting your breaker bar. Sometimes the shock of hitting it will free a nut up. A picture and posting in one of the other forums may help get you more responses. This is a for sale forum.

All good advice above. The other is if it is not moving, use Aerosol Kroil and let it soak over night. It can be hard to find, but a lot of small airports may sell it or the local aircraft mechanic on the field.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 05-11-2020 at 12:39 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Also try tightening it a bit. Sometimes a bolt will go in and break the locking corrosion that’s holding the bolt. Also a bit of heat on it also might help. ��
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

5. Member
    From the sounds of things, you may have a Pro Hi-Jacker plate. everyone has given fine suggestions, with the exception of using heat, since you are near fuel fumes and aluminium doesn't take well to a torch. Did you apply penetrating oil to the side slided? I have seen them bind up from aluminium corrosion. I would pray anything that moves with Castle liquid torch penetrating oil, and be patient letting it sit on it for a while, since it does not seem that you need to do emergency adjustment.

6. Member
    Is there anyway you can get a socket(maybe with swivel head) on it with an pneumatic impact wrench on it. Impact wrenches can loosen frozen bolts and nuts without damage due to the hammer effect.
    Good luck
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

7. Member
    Heat it with a torch for a few seconds then tap with a hammer. She’ll pop loose