Mosquito Creek. Question?

I'm headed to Mosquito Creek to do some fishing and filming. We're going Monday and the weather looks horrible. Calling for a high of 44 and low of 30. Winds 20 mph with rain and snow.

Jim and I have never fished here before and I was told it was a shallow lake. Do they have hazards marked, and is the lake safe to run? The rest we'll do our best to figure it out.

2. Member
    Stay about 100yds off shore when idling and keep to the middle of the lake on plain and u should be fine till u learn the lake. The lake is a big bowl and is way up right now. When u come out the state ramp and head north there is an island on the west that has a rocky point that comes out to watch out for that comes off the east side of the island. With 20mph winds out of the north she can roll.

Thank you!

If its going to blow that bad from the North it may be rolling good I would tell you to launch up North but ive seen when you cant get under the bridge with the waved and the water up. There is a ramp on the North side of the lake at Causeway bait and tackle you can use also then no bridge issues to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    If its going to blow that bad from the North it may be rolling good I would tell you to launch up North but ive seen when you cant get under the bridge with the waved and the water up. There is a ramp on the North side of the lake at Causeway bait and tackle you can use also then no bridge issues to worry about
    Thanks. I was looking at those ramps thinking about that. I noticed one on each side of the road.

All of the above! As noted, stay at least 100 yards off shore when running, preferably even father out. The island north of the state park on the west side...don't run between it and the west shoreline. There are a couple very shallow spots there. There is an old road that runs parallel tot he western shore most of the way from the dam to the upper end. It's about 50 yards off of the west shore most of the way and, in spots, is less than 2 feet deep. My suggestion when coming off the bank to change locations is to go on the trolling motor until you get to 3 feet of water. Then, fire up the big motor and put it on plane once you get to 5 feet of water.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    All of the above! As noted, stay at least 100 yards off shore when running, preferably even father out. The island north of the state park on the west side...don't run between it and the west shoreline. There are a couple very shallow spots there. There is an old road that runs parallel tot he western shore most of the way from the dam to the upper end. It's about 50 yards off of the west shore most of the way and, in spots, is less than 2 feet deep. My suggestion when coming off the bank to change locations is to go on the trolling motor until you get to 3 feet of water. Then, fire up the big motor and put it on plane once you get to 5 feet of water.
    Thanks Jeff. I'm just hoping we can fish it Monday. If not, we may opt for Milton if it has more places to get out of the wind.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass201 View Post
    Thanks Jeff. I'm just hoping we can fish it Monday. If not, we may opt for Milton if it has more places to get out of the wind.
    If u fish it can u post a report? Fishing it the 20th on way back from Erie.

I'll be fishing it one of the days for sure this week. In the area for 3 days. I'll post a report for sure.

10. Member
    I'll be fishing it one of the days for sure this week. In the area for 3 days. I'll post a report for sure.
    Thanks man! Appreciate it. Just like temp, clarity, weed growth.

Snow, Rain, and sleet today with a good 15 to 20 mph wind. Ouch that was cold! Spent the day today on Lake Milton with Jim. We were the only boat out there all day from what I seen. Guess we were the only ones crazy enough to fish. We didn't get skunked. I'll try to get a video up this weekend when I get home. Wasn't great, but we did get some smallmouth, largemouth, and muskie

Milton.jpg

Good for you guys! I bet you're frozen! Hopefully, I'll get to Mosquito on Wednesday.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Good for you guys! I bet you're frozen! Hopefully, I'll get to Mosquito on Wednesday.
    Jeff, I'm pretty positive we'll be out there Wednesday. You can look for us in a Ranger 520. We will have a couple camera's running. Say hello if you see us.

Jeff, I'm pretty positive we'll be out there Wednesday. You can look for us in a Ranger 520. We will have a couple camera's running. Say hello if you see us.
    Will do.

Just got back home Jeff. Cut the trip one day short with the rain coming tomorrow. We scouted the lake out Tuesday night after Lake Erie was a bust earlier in the day. Water was pure mud by Ashtabula. We went to Mosquito and popped 10 quick ones Tuesday in the wind. Came back today and hit half dozen pretty quick, and then it got tough until we figured out a way to catch them. Ended up with 30 to 35 bass. That place is an amazing fishery! I will definitely be coming back. Water started at 49 degrees today and warmed to 54 degrees by the time we left.

Just got back home Jeff. Cut the trip one day short with the rain coming tomorrow. We scouted the lake out Tuesday night after Lake Erie was a bust earlier in the day. Water was pure mud by Ashtabula. We went to Mosquito and popped 10 quick ones Tuesday in the wind. Came back today and hit half dozen pretty quick, and then it got tough until we figured out a way to catch them. Ended up with 30 to 35 bass. That place is an amazing fishery! I will definitely be coming back. Water started at 49 degrees today and warmed to 54 degrees by the time we left.
    DAMN! I caught 10 flipping at West Branch yesterday, but struggled today at Mosquito. I was committed to flipping, as I was testing out a few jigs that I made. I only caught 3 today, so I'd bet that you must have been off shore. I did throw a bladed jig a little over some grass, but never had a bite doing that. It sure was a petty day.

I thought about going to Ashtabula instead today. Glad that I decided against it. I hope to get there one day next week.

The LakeShore told me they got them the week before we got there. Said the water was a lot clearer.

Took us a little while to figure out the pattern, but yeah we pitched wood briefly and caught a couple before figuring out that wasn't going to do it today. We got a nice weed pattern that worked out. I'll put a video together and when I have time this weekend. I'll give you heads up when I get it uploaded. That should fill in the blanks. I forgot one of the camera stands, so Jim and I alternated on the camera angles.