Lake Moultrie and Cooper River

Hey guys I am new to the Charleston area and I noticed on my Navionics chip, Potato Creek does not have contour lines as well as the upper part of the Cooper River. Does anyone have any suggestions on mapping for my Humminbird?

Potato Creek is in Lake Marion.I was always told USGS didn’t do much mapping because of World War II & their talents were needed elsewhere.

How far up the Cooper are we talking? I live in Pimlico on the West Branch and there are channel markers through most of the upper Cooper when you’re running through the parts with the rice fields. That will keep you out of trouble while navigating. Once outside of the river channel there isn’t much use for contours lines while fishing. The ricefields are pretty much dry at low tide and at high tide you can count on about four feet of water in them. Every break in the ricefield levees has a little bit deeper water and usually a drain that you can follow into the ricefields to fish. Farm Creek separates Pimlico Ricefield from Mulberry ricefield and has deep enough water to navigate regardless of the tide.

Kind of vague info but if you have any specific questions let me know.

4. Member
    I have an older Navionics chip that does show all of Lake Marion but the newer chip does not. Neither one shows that part of Cooper River you're talking about.