Best smallie/musky lake

Looking to make a trip from texas to either mn or wi likely...few guys I've met here want to chase smallies and musky as they almost take Rayburn for granted...

I've fished vermillion quite a bit but it seemed tougher last time than I'd like for a first trip.

Hard part is flying so need a place that includes good boats or a way to rent a couple good boats.
    American plan lodge would be great but fine with private house/cabin if boats can be rented on lake or delivered.

What lake would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!!
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    mille lacs

3. Member
    Northern WI and Northern MN are both deep with resorts. Most resorts will rent boats.

WI resorts generally tend to be less expensive than do MN resorts since MN has commercialized the industry much more so than WI, who tend to run it more as a family affair.

If you are looking for trophy musky water in WI, opportunities abound. Just look at the WI dnr website for class A musky water. Any lake listed as such has the habitat to produce 50"+ examples.

Be warned that class A water produces trophies, not quantities. You'll need to decide if you want to chance at a trophy, or if catching a few 40-45" fish with sate your appetite. Then once you've got the lake name or chain you want to fish on, just look for a resort there.

A few of my personal favorite class A waters in WI are the lac du Flambeau chain and the chippewa flowage. Both have numerous resorts, many of which rent fishing boats. Flying into either, directly, will not be possible. While there are commuter airports available near both, unless you are literally flying your own plane, probably your most economical bet for flights will be Madison, green bay, or mosinee. Possibly Eau Claire. You'll obviously still need to rent a car then, as well.

Lastly, don't rule out green bay, but I have no idea what the boat rental situation would look like there. But I know large musky, smallmouth and walleye opportunities abound.

4. Member
    I don't have any specific lakes, since I've only been up there once. There are so many lakes in northern WI, it's almost unbelievable. On a musky podcast the guy mentioned how many musky lakes there was within 30 miles of boulder junction. It could have been a few hundred, but it may have been thousands. No straight roads as every road has to curve between all the lakes. If you want to fish 1 lake and have that experience, google map the area and find one that suits you. Check out reports on lake-link. You could stick with 1 lake, or pick a couple every day. I would suggest hiring a guide for at least 1 day. You might need a couple guides, depending on group size. Guides come with boats and usually big rods and lures for the musky. Book ahead of time as the good ones are busy. Rollie and Helen's musky shop is a good stop for everything while up there, and they have guides available, or can set you up with them.

Minocqua is a good town, but seems like it's a rich tourist area. Very nice town and lots stores...and people. Boulder junction is another nice town. Not as big, but looks nice. Lots of small town with 3 houses, 4 bars and 7 lakes.
    I dont get a lot of free time in the summer. Last summer I headed up on a saturday after work (3am so done early). Hit crab lake and caught a musky, my 1st. Tried another flowage for an hr and headed to a friend's cabin. Slept there and headed out in the morning. Picked random roads on the way home and hit a couple lakes. There are so many lakes it's amazing. Everyone should experience it at least once. If you are staying at 1 lake, take a partial day off and just drive around. The presque isle are is beautiful.

5. Member
    Mille Lacs, Vermillion, or Green Bay
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Gile Flowage