Question Anybody buy a used boat in Texas while living in TN?

I am curious as to how this works. Purchased a boat in TX and received three titles---boat, motor and trailer. When I registered in TN, they took trailer title and will transfer to TN title for that. Registered boat, but did not take title for that. I'll get the numbers from TN later when registration finished. They did not take title for motor.

So, I will end up with a TN title for trailer, but no TN title for boat or motor. I was told to just "keep the Texas title and sales paperwork in a safe place".

What happens when I go to sell the boat? Will the Texas title still be hanging out there? I did call the TX office and they said basically the same thing--I can keep the TX titles in a safe place or shred.

In Tennessee there is no true title for a boat. The green registration card you get from TWRA serves as your title if you go to sell it
    Also no real title for a trailer as Tennessee does not require a license plate
    Keep your bill of sale and the paperwork received when you bought the boat
    The ID numbers will be required for financing and insurance
    Also a bank will file lean papers if the boat is financed
    all of the institutions you will be dealing with will know exactly what they need and how to file it, if they don't find some one who does

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

3. Member
    You'll give up your registration card when you sell it here. Keep those titles in case you sell it out of state. All I have for my boat is the registration card and MSO's.

I would keep this title's, whenever you sell the boat, if it is out of state, the next person would need them.

5. Member
    What bugs me about this is that the Texas titles are still in the original owner's name. They have not been transferred to my name as I thought that TN would do that. So, do I have to transfer them in Texas?

6. Member
    Do you also have a separate bill of sale? That might be the most important document in the future. If you go to transfer the Texas titles, Texas will want some money, if they would even do it. I've Bought in TN and titled/registered in Texas, but not the other way around.