Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

BTC related stocks before the halving...

First and foremost I know little to nothing about BTC. That being said, I noticed some major moves this week in BTC related stocks. Anyone in some? Looks like the halving is Monday. I picked up some calls this week in RIOT just as some lottos. staggered dates $3 strike
    Last edited by haftafish22; 05-08-2020 at 08:26 PM.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Halving? So 1 bitcoin will turn into 2? The bitcoin bulls said there was always going to be a limited supply.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Halving? So 1 bitcoin will turn into 2? The bitcoin bulls said there was always going to be a limited supply.
    I know little about this honestly, but I believe it has to do with the rate at which BTC can be mined. And yes, like you my understanding is that there is limited coins, it won’t change and they will be basically all collect in 4 years...?? Again I don’t know enough, but no denying the run on BTC related stocks last week.

I see BTC dumped last 24hours so I may have some worthless calls, but that’s why they are lottos ; )

4. Member
    It's not a coin split. It's an increase in the difficulty to mine the Bitcoin. (Requires more computer power.) It's scheduled and known, but yet the market is reacting some in both ways.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    It's not a coin split. It's an increase in the difficulty to mine the Bitcoin. (Requires more computer power.) It's scheduled and known, but yet the market is reacting some in both ways.

Okay, so why mine it then?
    Thanos was the hero

Okay, so why mine it then?
    Still profitable. If I remember right, the last time Bitcoin halved was when it went crazy back in 2017. Makes it harder to mine so they are worth more. I would love to see another wild ride like it was back in 17.

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I didn't realize it was still profitable to mine. I wonder are the people who quit their jobs to mine when price was over 15k, are they still mining and making a living?
    Thanos was the hero

I didn't realize it was still profitable to mine. I wonder are the people who quit their jobs to mine when price was over 15k, are they still mining and making a living?
    I would assume as long as you have all the equipment, it's just a matter of letting it run and making money at this point. It costs them electricity to run their computers. Not sure if anyone is making a living off of it unless they have a large setup.

9. Member
    I know next to nothing about BTC. What is mining?

10. Member
    I would think it's pretty much only the largest farms that are mining in enough quantity to come out highly profitable. I guess a small rig in someone's house might make them a few hundred bucks a month profit after expenses.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

11. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I would assume as long as you have all the equipment, it's just a matter of letting it run and making money at this point. It costs them electricity to run their computers. Not sure if anyone is making a living off of it unless they have a large setup.

check out $RIOT. That’s where I bought calls. They were on sale today

12. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Well those lottos may actually be worth something if this continues....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Well those lottos may actually be worth something if this continues....
    Yeah, looks like it