Question 97 21XD prop help

I have 97 21XD, 2018 250 Pro XS 2 Stroke, 12” Rapid Jack plate, currently running a 27 Tempest 1.5 below pad with all holes plugged, it blows and snorts like a chopper coming out of the hole. I don’t want to spend a fortune buying and trying props, I fish and carry a lot of tackle. I ran the same prop on my old 200 EFI with no holes plugged and no blowing out issues, any suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone in the Lake Hartwell area with a prop to try would be greatly appreciated. I left out TM2 with 1.75 ratio.
    Last edited by Leonard Bullet21XD; 05-08-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Left out lower unit and ratio

2. Member
    28 Bravo xs at 3/4” below pad will most likely be impossible to beat as best all around fishing prop. My guess is 2 plugs in, 6 open.

3. Member
    Thanks,Barnarian, I do not understand why this prop did not blow out on my 200EFI. I have ever buried the motor and it still blows.

4. Member
    27 or maybe 28 Pro Max. Bravo may be a little better with hole shot not sure but what I have seen and read the Pro Max is better mdi & top and maybe handling.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Bullet21XD View Post
    Thanks,Barnarian, I do not understand why this prop did not blow out on my 200EFI. I have ever buried the motor and it still blows.
    I am going to wing this, but my guess is the 200 didn't have enough umph to spin it high enough on the hole shot compared to your current motor. Do you have PVS holes on that prop? In the end, a 4 blade will handle so much better now that you have enough ponies to matter. And you can probably sell that tempest and get in a good 4 blade for about $150 difference.

The new gearcases Gen2/Wingmaster seem to vent harder/easier causing issues in blowout. Not sure what LU you have, But just my experience. The bigger the motor/torque/HP, The more blade area is needed to stay hooked up. 14 5/8 diameter in a 3 blade is not much for such motors, motor height and loads.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    I got turned off of 4 Blades with the Trophy Plus and started run the Tempest with my old 200. The fuel consumption on the Trophy was awful compared to the Tempests. Do I need the Brovo with 8 holes or will the one with 4 work?

8. Member
    The trophy plus can do that and should not be THE prop that you base your 4 blade opinion on. All Bravo ‘xs’ will have 8 PVS holes.

9. Member
    Thanks for everyone’s advice, I am trying to find someone in my area so that I can try before I buy.

10. Member
    If anyone knows of one pm me please.

11. Member
    100% of your hole shot issue is the gen2 gear case. After spending tons of money on Bravos, TXP, Promax...…..I reluctantly bolted on a foil and solved my issues. Great hole shot now with my old 29 Bravo XS with 1" holes.

12. Member
    I had a similar set up, had the same issue, I added a foil and it improved my hole shot 110% (hated to do it, but it was effective). I also went to a 15-1/4" diameter 27 Hydramotive, with 8 pvs holes and had a 1" flare added. Still wasn't great but the best all-around I could come up with.

13. Member
    Any suggestions as to what brand foil would be recommended?

Any suggestions as to what brand foil would be recommended?
    Pm Chris Bailey on here. Member “cbailey”

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

15. Member
    [QUOTE=sowenssw;11102593]I had a similar set up, had the same issue, I added a foil and it improved my hole shot 110% (hated to do it, but it was effective). I also went to a 15

^^^^^^^^^^^^ X3 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

16. Member
    I want to thank everyone for their advise, I just borrows a 28 Brovo 1XS that has not been worked and will run it this weekend. I will post my results. Hope it works because I really do not want to install a foil.

17. Member
    Brovo results- ran the Brovo 1 XS today, had to plug 6 holes in the prop to get the blow out under control, left jack plate along at 1 1/2 below the pad, it starts off sluggish and then revs to 4K RPM, ran out of real estate at 75 GPS MPH and still climbing- 6 holes plugged seems a little excessive? Any ideas?

18. Member
    6 sounds like more than most, but it might be the gen 2 TM. But it is irrelevant because it sounds like it did better at the top and rev to 4k on hole shot is about right. The sluggishness sounds like the gen 2 from what I hear. IMO, I'd run it and not look back for now. The only thing you don't know yet is how many max RPM's it will turn, but my guess is that the 28 should be very close to on point.

19. Member
    Without the foil, its either gonna break loose or be a dog when you plug it. An original Bravo with the flare (Not XS) will have a good hole shot without a foil, but some have had top end handling issues with flared props.