AVX 1880: Thinking of removing my Manual Setback/Jack Plate

Good evening y'all,

Did any of you guys opt for a manual jack plate when you purchased your AVX ##80? I have a 6" Slidemaster on my 1880 but I'm thinking of removing it...

The performance seems to feel the same with and without it. Before we committed to purchasing ours we test drove an 1880 with the same configuration (minus the trolling motor and electronics choices). The top speed (53mph) is the same and the handling characteristics (hole shot and turning) seem the same. When we test drove the demo we had 3 adults and half a tank of fuel. My usual load out is 2 adults + fishing gear. I'm a minimalist so I'm sure my gear weight is much less than the weight of a grown adult, more like less than half of an adult. I noted the speed with half a tank of fuel and similar lake conditions as the day we completed the demo run.

So yeah, for the sake of the losing the weight of the jack plate and to gain 6" of wiggle room at the back side of my garage I'm thinking of removing it. I literally have 3" of room from the garage door to the end of the trolling motor and 3" of room from the back wall to my prop blade trimmed 2" from the concrete, LOL!

Am I overlooking any advantages of having the jack plate??? Honestly, I originally opted for it to eek out a few more mph. The hole shot was already impressive without the jack plate (demo setup) so that wasn't a driving factor.

She is our first boat so I'm hoping to gain more experienced based knowledge from those of y'all that have had vessels for quite some time. I'd sure appreciate any useful advice and/or experience. Thanks ahead of time. Y'all have a good one and stay safe.
    2020 AVX 1880, Mercury Pro XS 115, Garmin Force 50", Dual Pro 15x3, Humminbird Helix 10 MSI GPS G3N, Garmin Echo Map UHD 93SV

2. Member
    A JP is normally needed for boats that are faster in speed. Gets the prop in cleaner water.
    The further back the JP (12 in plate, example) the higher the plate and prop can be ran thus increasing speed.

For tin boats with lower horsepower and speeds, there is no real need for it. An Express with a 250 will need a JP, regardless of being a tin due to its speed.
    My buddy has a Z18 Nitro with no JP and a Merc 150. Hole shot is great. So is handling and speed. The only way he could benefit from a JP is if it was hydraulic. This would allow him access to very shallow water. Otherwise, it would offer him no other benefit.

IMO, remove the plate and gain the storage room while losing some weight off the back.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    I have no JP, but I can say this, if you are getting 53mph out of that rig with a 115. Way to go, generally they run about 48. I get 53 mph out of my 135HO...I only turn around 5400 though. I heard of 53 out of a G2 115, which also surprises me. If you are getting that much speed, I wouldn't change anything. But, if you need the extra room that may weigh the performance changes. You can always adjust the motor up or down a hole or two. I would shoot for around 4" PTP at highest. Every boat and motor is different.
    I moved my motor up, the general thought that the 5.5" PTP was too low. I raised it up to 4", without any real gains, I may have lost a little lift.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    I have no JP, but I can say this, if you are getting 53mph out of that rig with a 115. Way to go, generally they run about 48. I get 53 mph out of my 135HO...I only turn around 5400 though. I heard of 53 out of a G2 115, which also surprises me. If you are getting that much speed, I wouldn't change anything. But, if you need the extra room that may weigh the performance changes. You can always adjust the motor up or down a hole or two. I would shoot for around 4" PTP at highest. Every boat and motor is different.
    I moved my motor up, the general thought that the 5.5" PTP was too low. I raised it up to 4", without any real gains, I may have lost a little lift.
    WTG!! x2. The fastest I was able to reach one time is 49.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

Wow. 53mph is really good with a 115. Is this GPS or dash gauge?

I am with the others. If you are getting 53 MPH with gear and people I would leave it. I have got 53 but I was alone and had no gear in the boat.

7. Member
    Evenin' gents! Apologies for the late response. I've been working on honey-do's for the past few days. Happy wife, happy life, especially when she bought me/us the Vexus.

I read 53 on the gauge. I never thought of checking GPS speed. Which one is typically more accurate? The next time I go out I'll check the GPS reading. Thanks for the heads up on that.

And thanks for y'alls input. I appreciate yah!
    2020 AVX 1880, Mercury Pro XS 115, Garmin Force 50", Dual Pro 15x3, Humminbird Helix 10 MSI GPS G3N, Garmin Echo Map UHD 93SV

8. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB&CT View Post
    Evenin' gents! Apologies for the late response. I've been working on honey-do's for the past few days. Happy wife, happy life, especially when she bought me/us the Vexus.

I read 53 on the gauge. I never thought of checking GPS speed. Which one is typically more accurate? The next time I go out I'll check the GPS reading. Thanks for the heads up on that.

And thanks for y'alls input. I appreciate yah!
    GPS Speed is always more accurate,

9. Member
    Ok, I'll check it out next time I'm out settin' hooks

Oh wait... Phone GPS or Console GPS?

10. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB&CT View Post
    Ok, I'll check it out next time I'm out settin' hooks

Oh wait... Phone GPS or Console GPS?
    i would use the console GPS just so i don't take of chance of your phone flying out of the boat,
    dont ask me how i know they will do that :-)
    Last edited by sclark; 05-13-2020 at 03:47 PM.

11. Member
    Ok, I'll take your word for it...