TO MANY DOCKS WITH LIGHTS

I live on Smith Lake Alabama . I believe that the dock lights because there are so many of them effects daytime fishing . I wish eveyone would try turning there dock lights off if they are not using them I know this is not going to happen . I will also say that Cullman County built a new lake and there will be no docks . To many docks hurts fishing ! There are many places docks are not allowed or any development along shore line . Lake Guntersville has shore line like this in places no development allowed .
    What do ya'll think ?

2. Member
    I like fishing docks. never noticed any lights effecting the fishing other than bass being attracted to bait fish attracted to the bugs that are drawn to the lights when night fishing.

Most property owners on the lake would undoubtedly disagree with you. They paid huge money to have that dock and enjoy it.

How in the world do docks "hurt fishing"? They provide places for bait fish to hide, places for the predator species to feed, and places for fish to spawn and the fry can live there relatively safely.

Sounds to me like you just don't like fishing docks. Or don't know how.

I think I'd agree with the idea that dock lights might encourage fish to feed at night and make them less likely to feed during the day, but I don't think there are many ways that "too many" docks could hurt fishing. About the only way I could see that happening is if they're all allowed to clear out all the near-shore vegetation, or I suppose if people are maintaining lawns right up to the lake shore you could have issues with siltation. Even when the near shore vegetation is allowed to be removed, it's offset at least somewhat by the extra cover the dock provides as mentioned above.

Sounds like it might be time to do some night fishing to me!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Prime time for 1/4oz spinnerbaits. Light them all up

6. Banned
    Lights also discourage would be thieves. The neighbor has a green submersible light and it draws in just about every species in the lake.

A drawback is the fish have eaten every bit of "COVER" (beneficial to any habitat along with "structure"; like docks)

Why are docks bad for fishing?

I've heard "Too many chefs ruins the stew" but never "Too many docks hurt Bass fishing''... ever

7. Member
    I like fishing docks at night, caught a lot of good size bass on them.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

8. Member
    This is a puzzle for us to figure out.
    I think he is talking about dock lights. He feels people should turn them off because it hurts daytime fishing.
    Maybe these are underwater lights?
    Maybe they are spotlights and they hurt his eyes?
    Thats all I got.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

9. Member
    plenty of fish in ryan creek !and not as many docks as rock

10. Member
    The City of Cullman ,Al has just open Duck River 650 acre lake . No docks nature trail all the way around lake .

11. Member
    You’re missing the best fishing on smith. I don’t even go at daylight anymore. I wait until the sun is up good and fish docks solely. You find the docks with the brush piles under them and you’ll catch fish in the daytime guaranteed. I believe the problem most have with smith is now that the herring have taken over the bass pull off with them alot. I caught a 7 head jigging spoons for stripers in 40 feet of water two years ago. Theyre just hard to pin down sometimes. The dock shade is consistent though..........and ithink duck river has a 25 hp limit from I’ve heard.
    Last edited by Shoalcreek; 05-14-2020 at 10:02 AM.

12. Member
    Don’t see docks or lights as a problem around here. They act as attractors. Now, what I would outlaw are those darn wake boats that beat the hell out of those docks.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

13. Member
    The cost to have a single LED 60watt light bulb or a giant green led light to attract fish underwater powered on for 24/7 for the State of Alabama is $10 a year. As a dock owner and fisherman, I guarantee nobody cares how it effects YOUR fishing. The security and convenience it provides would outweigh the cost of having it on all the time. Who would not pay $10 a year to not stumble around in the dark or to see your dock at night?

On the other hand, dock light or submersible light in the water - kinda stupid to keep it on 24/7. Thousands for a dock and electricity running there? Can't afford a $20 programmable switch? Yikes.

14. Member
    I like fishing docks but all the lakes close to where I live are in State parks so they don't have docks other than at the marina and boat ramps. Lakes with docks are much easier to fish in my experience.