1991 Evinrude Intruder 150 Clicking / Ticking noise

I purchased a 91 Stratos a little over two years ago and it had a rebuilt powerhead when I purchased it with less than 100 hours on it. The engine has been nothing short of reliable since I have owned it. A few weeks ago I noticed a ticking sound from the motor when idling around. I did a little research and inspected a few things, the lower unit first. Lower unit seems to be fine and hooked it to muffs and ran it and seemed to be coming from the top end. Did notice a couple screws missing on sensor cover above the flywheel cover, it was noticeably loose. Replaced the screws and took it back out for another trip last week. After running down the lake I noticed the ticking noise got worse. Fished awhile and when heading back I experienced a loss of power when getting on plane and the ticking was more audible at higher rpm's.

I pulled the flywheel yesterday and inspected the magnets on the inside as well as inspected and tested the stator, all seems to be in great condition. My next place to look will be at the reed valves. Is this possible that a bad reed could be causing the noise? I know it could contribute to the loss of power. Just searching for any ideas on what I may need to look at next on this old OMC motor that may could cause these issues.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC! First thing would be a compression test, if that's good you may want to put a long screwdriver to your ear and the block and listen or pick up a Mechanic's stethoscope and place it on different areas of the block. If the flywheel is still off, grab the crank shaft and try to wobble it in two directions and see if it moves.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Welcome to BBC! First thing would be a compression test, if that's good you may want to put a long screwdriver to your ear and the block and listen or pick up a Mechanic's stethoscope and place it on different areas of the block. If the flywheel is still off, grab the crank shaft and try to wobble it in two directions and see if it moves.
    Thank you for the welcome and the reply! The flywheel is back on along with the cover. I did check the flywheel and crankshaft for any noticable play, both seemed to be tight and solid. That was going to do my next move was a compression test. Got a few storms moving through but when it clears up I can pull the boat outside and check it out. Will a compression check tell me anything about a possible reed problem? I've read varying opinions on the subject. Also, I did pull spark plugs and replaced with new ones last week. I didn't notice any sign of a possible piston slap on any of the 6 cylinders.

4. Member
    Compression is reading 90 on all 6 cylinders. So good on that end. I will update post as I figure out what is causing the issue's. I came across several threads in multiple forums, but no one ever gave a follow up on a resolution to the problem. I hope I may can give someone else a starting point as soon as I figure this out, in case similar symptoms arise. Any other suggestions are welcome.

5. Member
    JFerguson, I was hoping someone else would have chimed in. This past Saturday, I was coming around a bend - port side - of the lake I live and it just bogged down and took forever to start. I switched the port toggle to starboard on my fuel and after several times of turning over it started. After it started I noticed the ticking / knocking coming out of the motor. It would go away when I put it into gear but once I got on plane it bogged down again but would start right up ! Compression check on 6 cyl is 90-92 psi. I did notice the all of the plugs where dry ?? I have '95 Strat with '95 150 Intruder.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May be in your lower unit. Wouldn't hurt to drain the lower and check for chunks of metal.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryhent1995 View Post
    JFerguson, I was hoping someone else would have chimed in. This past Saturday, I was coming around a bend - port side - of the lake I live and it just bogged down and took forever to start. I switched the port toggle to starboard on my fuel and after several times of turning over it started. After it started I noticed the ticking / knocking coming out of the motor. It would go away when I put it into gear but once I got on plane it bogged down again but would start right up ! Compression check on 6 cyl is 90-92 psi. I did notice the all of the plugs where dry ?? I have '95 Strat with '95 150 Intruder.
    Lower unit was where I started, at first the sound was only noticeable at idle because it was very mild at that time. Pulled the cowl and running on muffs the ticking could be heard from up top. I'm still in the process of diagnosing my problem. I'm going to test power pack and coil next and then move on to pulling carbs and intake manifold and look at the reed valves. Not sure why your plugs would be dry, I would do as championman suggest and start on the easy stuff first like the lower unit. The loss of power after warming up and hard start sounds like a classic powerpack failure. Or it could simply be a situation where the engine is starving for fuel. I plan on doing some more work on it this week and will post my findings, hopefully you do the same if you figure anything out. Thanks!

8. Member
    Thank you for the reply !
    Once I figure it out I will post also, good luck man !

9. Member
    Is it only clicking in gear under a load or can you hear it in neutral? I would try the stethoscope thing 1st on all cylinders and especially the lower unit around the torpedo area. You will hear any issue immediately. As for the reeds, you shouldn't have to pull the intake to check that. 1st, the engine would idle like crap if you had a bad reed. You can check that by looking into the carb throats while idling with a flashlight. look for fuel droplets spitting back. Can also use a timing light hooked to each cylinder wire- strobe effect will freeze frame any droplets. Being honest, if any reeds are so bad you can hear them clicking, they are wasted and it probly wouldn't run. I'd be looking for a chip or missing tooth on the pinion gear. IMO.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silvertalon View Post
    Is it only clicking in gear under a load or can you hear it in neutral? I would try the stethoscope thing 1st on all cylinders and especially the lower unit around the torpedo area. You will hear any issue immediately. As for the reeds, you shouldn't have to pull the intake to check that. 1st, the engine would idle like crap if you had a bad reed. You can check that by looking into the carb throats while idling with a flashlight. look for fuel droplets spitting back. Can also use a timing light hooked to each cylinder wire- strobe effect will freeze frame any droplets. Being honest, if any reeds are so bad you can hear them clicking, they are wasted and it probly wouldn't run. I'd be looking for a chip or missing tooth on the pinion gear. IMO.
    Thanks for the response. I've ruled out reed valves, tested and seems fine. Ran the motor yesterday and did great when cold. The ticking is heard in neutral or under load. The sound gets worse with rpms under load, when warm especially so. I've ordered new power pack and coils. I'm of believe my issue is of electronic ignition, spark related. Seems odd it only gets worse with warmup. Tried scope with no luck. Thank you for your response it's a very feasible culprit. Will report back soon once my coils and pp come in!