Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

For those who have left fluorocarbon

Why did you quit using it and what did you go to? I have been a red label guy but the quality seems to have gone down and it has become more brittle and hard to use. Also, who has gone to braid with a fluoro leader? What do you like about it? I'm considering a switch, but truth is my faith still lies in fluoro.

2. Member
    I quit about 15 years ago. I don't believe in the whole line visibility deal, and almost every lake i fish has 5+ feet of visibility. I use p line cxx and izorline now.

I only use FC on my bottom baits, everything else is izorline. I will admit I was brainwashed with all the hype of FC. Still in the process of figuring it out.

4. Member
    I quit straight Fluoro and went to a Fluoro leader. Still had some breakage issues that weren’t due to the knot. BTW I was using red label quite a bit. They evidently have changed to a more brittle formula. I went to Trilene XL and couldn’t be happier. It has as good or better sensitivity than the lower end Fluoros without the brittleness and memory

Kept breaking off fish on hook sets, and I retied often to where it became tedious. So I have went to braid while flipping. Still use flouro when I have to and mono for topwaters and crankbaits.

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I tried all kinds of floro and it sucks. Line breakage is the big deal for me. I don't buy into the invisibility catches m ore fish, if so, explain the A-rig, spinnerbaits hooks etc. I n ow use Izorline and it's fantastic.
    Last edited by bassnman81; 05-07-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

7. Member
    Because it’s junk, it’s like they made a list of all the worst characteristics in fishing line and incorporated them into a product and called it fluorocarbon.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    I tried all kinds of floro and it sucks. Line breakage is the big deal for me. I don't buy into the the invisibility catches m ore fish, if so, explain the A-rig, spinnerbaits hooks etc. I n ow use Izorline and it's fantastic.
    I have never tried Izorline, is it the xxx or the platinum? Would like to try it. Thanks

9. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I use XXX, I never tried the platinum.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

10. Member
    I moved to mainly yozuri hybrid, but will try izorline. If I could afford tatsu for everything I would us flouro. Use it for spinning rod leader

11. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    I quit for a while, and went back to flouro.

Still more sensitive I think than mono.

Braid has issues, still use in some situations.

When I found out how to use flouro properly, for me....

works great. I used to change it very frequently....now maybe every 3 months.

I learned how to eliminate coils by stretching the line....no issues any more

I experimented with several brands of fluorocarbon and was disappointed in all of it. It’s more expensive, hard to manage, and did not make one iota of difference in my catch rate. So, I trashed it all. I’ll stick with my tried and true Izorline Platinum.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Dogfish_Jones
    I left FC because of too many break offs. I use mono on everything but flipping and then I use the Daiwa braid.
    I fished 30+ years on Mono and in all those years I have never broke off as much as the last two years using FC.

14. Banned
    I’m still not sure how so many have problems with it.......

I throw flouro on 2 rods for about two months then it all hits the trash after jerkbait season is over

16. Member
    braid with floura leader works great for me on 80% of rods!!
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-08-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    I switched about 3 years ago from flouro to braid to leader. There were a number of reasons. Sensitivity, cost, casting distance, hookset power are most of em. With b2l on along cast my hookset power is solid if a fish eats say my lv 500 while it’s sinking. I use about 15 feet of leader be it flouro, mono or copolymer each has its circumstance. With cranking you can get the bait deeper and cast it farther. You have to change the way you fight fish because of the lack of stretch in the line. It all works. I’ve gone back to mono or flouro on a hand full of rods but love to benefits of b2l just had to adjust what I do when fishing with it.
    05 198scx champion 225 merc pro XS
    95 202dcx elite champion 225 merc efi
    95 181dc champion 150 xr6blackmax merc

18. Member
    I've gone back and forth with the stuff since berkley first came out with the 100% flouro. Have tried multiple brands and the last 2 years, been using the plane tactical flouro and with the San Diego jam knot, can actually fish it without worrying about breaking off. But I'm still a big fan of copoly. Not sure why I would want to spend 25 bucks on a spool of flouro, when I can get Pline voltage or McCoy copoly for half the price and still catch fish..

19. Member
    I've used many different fluorocarbon lines and some I swore by. Most I swore at. I switched to a fluorocarbon coated line by HI SEAS and have never looked back. P-Line makes one also that is very good. It costs maybe 10% more than regular mono.

20. Member
    Left it went back and left again. Every damn time I try it I end up going back to Pline Cxx and I'm gonna stay with it this time. Fluorocarbon is like a super model, it's high maintenance and expensive!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast