Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Double towing question

Posting this for my dad. He has a new F250 Diesel and a z521 ranger. He and my mom are about to retire and want get a 5th wheel and do trips around the country. My dad is excited to explore with his boat. He is concerned that getting a 5th wheel and double towing behind his truck will be too much. He has a hitch pull 26 foot camper now, but they would be looking at getting a new 5th wheel.

Can you give me some advice on if his concern for double towing the z521 is valid. If not can you tell me some of the things to make sure you get right(strong hitch for 5th wheel, proper trip planning, etc).

Thanks in advance.

I'm not the person in the know, but think some states you can't do that?

3. Member
    It is a dangerous set up that’s why about 30 states allow it. I think Minnesota allows it but no expert either.

I am asking if there are things to be aware of as far as making sure you have a strong hutch on the 5th wheel, or bad idea with a boat that big, etc.

Not if it is legal or not, I understand in some states there a length regs and some totally illegal.

thx

250 is not big enough

An f250 diesel isn't big enough for a double tow?? That seems like it would be the easiest part of the equation. Maybe I am wrong and underestimating the weight of everything, but I just assumed a diesel could double tow easily........

7. Member
    in states that allow it I think you have to have a license to haul doubles

8. Banned
    Lots of variables. Can be done here, but requires a class A (truck driving) license. Also, you would need to stay away from the ultra light trailers, as the frames are not generally designed to add a towing hitch to. Also, you’d need to have some electrical done so that the boat trailer lights would work and potentially the boat trailer brakes. It’s generally a pain in the butt to tow like this and I’ve only seen it twice in the many years that we’ve been pulling our trailer to the lake.

Thx!! That is exactly the info I was hoping to get and understand.

10. Member
    Sent you a pm. When I went from an 18ft boat to a 20ft boat I could tell a pretty big difference. That z521 will be probably 4500 lbs, and you can count on 450lbs of tongue weight.

I built my hitch. It's been on my camper for 8 years now. I don't double tow all the time, but I do from time to time (right now actually). I'm not sure I would do it cross country. The farthest I go is about 3.5 hours. I really, really like to know the route before hand. You can get in trouble quick if you don't know where you're going. Backing up isn't much of an option.

11. Member
    The hitch I built

New setup with my GMC and Stratos 200.

Thx Twinstick. Got your PM. Greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by hydrashack View Post
    An f250 diesel isn't big enough for a double tow?? That seems like it would be the easiest part of the equation. Maybe I am wrong and underestimating the weight of everything, but I just assumed a diesel could double tow easily........
    Its not about if the diesel engine could pull it, it is about the gross vehicle combined weight.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Its not about if the diesel engine could pull it, it is about the gross vehicle combined weight.
    And hauling a 5er is best done with a dually. Sidewinds will be a much bigger deal with a SRW truck.
    John

15. Member
    I looked into it too last year when we took a trip around the county. Basically you can't go to any state on the east coast or the west coast. So basically all the coolest states to visit. Most states you have to be under 65 feet in total length and some under 60. Therefore if you have a 20' boat you need a tiny 5th wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrashack View Post
    It will depend on which 5th wheel they get. For some, it will exceed the GCVW but for others you will be OK. As mentioned, its not the engine its the suspension. A one ton can tow more and a dually even more than that.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Thx everyone. I don't think they are going to get a new truck just to double tow and getting into a tiny 5th wheel also defeats the purpose........Looks like it is either tow the boat or tow the camper for them.

Appreciate all the knowledge sharing.

18. retired military technici mt72916's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    When I went from an 18ft boat to a 20ft boat I could tell a pretty big difference. That z521 will be probably 4500 lbs, and you can count on 450lbs of tongue weight.

I built my hitch. It's been on my camper for 8 years now. I don't double tow all the time, but I do from time to time (right now actually). I'm not sure I would do it cross country. The farthest I go is about 3.5 hours. I really, really like to know the route before hand. You can get in trouble quick if you don't know where you're going. Backing up isn't much of an option.
    I have had a couple fifth wheels campers that I have built my own hitch. I tow my 17 ft ranger behind them. I generally am only traveling in Arkansas. I also installed a camera on the back of my camper. Its looking down to monitor my boat and traffic behind me. my present camper is a 33 foot crusader. I used twinsticks post to design my present hitch.
    Last edited by mt72916; 05-24-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Ranger 2002 175 DVS F115 Yamaha
    Ulterra SI, Helix 9 MSI G3 on bow and console
    2007 2500 6.7 Diesel Ram 2015 Crusader 294RLT
    fish DeGray lake in April & October

19. Member
    Motorhome.

20. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    We solved this problem when my wife retired by getting my wife a vehicle big enough to tow the boat. It also lets her drive her own vehicle around when we get to where we are going. At first it was daunting for my wife but we did a few short trips and now she hauls a boat from our place in Ontario to East Texas. We usually travel weekends to avoid traffic in the urban areas.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast