Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Diesel pusher motorhome.

2. Member
    Gonna need a bigger truck.

3. Member
    I have done a lot of research on this as this was my plan for retirement. I think your problem is going to be over length limits in most states. I’m in Wisconsin and the length limit here is 70’. There are a few states that are 70’ and may be a couple that allow 75’. The problem most states are 65’ if it is allowed because not all states allow double towing. Then there are restrictions of when you can be on the road, in my state there are laws that you can not be on the road in any adverse weather conditions like fog, sleet, snow and freezing rain, not that I would want to be anyway. Other state limit you to certain highways.
    Measure your truck overall length then add the overall length of you boat from tongue to furthest point of the motor in trailering position.
    In my case my truck was 20’ and my Triton 21 XS was 27.6’ that equals 47.6’, this did not leave me enough left over to find a 5th wheel small enough.
    Oh and as I have checked, you have to go by the law of the state you are in at the time, not the state your truck is registered in.
    Hope this helps
    I’m going truck camper and pull my boat. I’m going with truck camper so I can take it off the truck and use the truck to tow the boat around and to run to the store or wherever. This way I can leave the truck camper setup and hooked up.
    2014 Triton 21 XS
    250 Mercury Pro XS
    Bravo 1 XS 26 P 4 Blade
    Dual Power Pole 10' Blade
    Humminbird 1198, 998, 360
    HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N, HELIX 12 CHIRP DI GPS G2N

This isnt the best place to ask this question, to many experts on here that dont have a clue, never done it and will give you bad advice. I run into the same thing. Look for some double towing forums or even FB has some double tow groups. I will throw out what I have learned over the past several years of pulling a fifth with a 21' bass boat behind it. It can be a hand full if your by yourself sometimes. Take your time never get in a hurry, pre plan your route and fuel stops. Visit the campground, do satellite view, or call ahead and make sure you can fit in the site with everything. I usually unhook the boat at the check-in office, park the camper and come back and get the boat. Get a good quality camera because you wont be able to see the boat behind you and wire to the parking lights so its on all the time. My fifth wheel came with a towable hitch from the factory but I beefed it up just for ease of mind. My personal opinion, I dont think the 250/2500 SRW is inadequate, (same engine as 350/3500) you are not adding any pin weight on the truck just towing weight. Be sure the hitch has the towing capacity to pull both, do the math and research. Also keep in mind vertical height of both, get them both as level as possible and they will pull better. I do have a 3500 DRW but for different reasons, at 65mph I will usually average between 9 and 10 MPG.
    There are several guys here that double tow and have offered good advice. Figure out who they are and message them. I actually called and talked to them on the phone. Its definitely doable and there are a lot of people doing it. The plus side is sleeping in your own bed every night, showering in your own shower, kitchen, etc. Hope this helps a little and tell your mom and dad to go enjoy their retirement how they want, they deserve it.
    2014 Phoenix 721
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12