Waterfowl 3.5" 12 ga. shotgun

I'm in the market for a new duck/goose gun. Mainly going to be used for geese (snows, blues, specklebellies etc.) shooting 3.5" BB's. If you have any experiences with any of the main manufacturers (Benelli, Browning, Beretta etc.) please share your recommendations? I've seen the new weatherby waterfowl 18i came out but can't find very much about it. Looking for an automatic shotgun that will shoot 3.5's all day long with no hick-ups. What would you recommend?
    I BELIEVE!!!!

2. Legend Boats Moderator
    I have several duck guns but my go to is a beretta. I own an xtrema 2 and the new xtreme plus. I like both of those guns a lot. I also have the browning maxus and the new A5. I would go shoulder them and see what fits best to you. The gas powered ones (maxus, beretta, winchester,) will kick a bit less especially if you will be using 3.5s. The inertia driven benellis, browning A5, will have a bit more kick to them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the new ones, go see what fits you best.

I use a Benelli Super Vinci. It takes 3.5’s but I only use 3” in it. At first I didn’t care for the looks but now I think it is beautiful. What an awesome goose killer when paired with Hevi-Metal BB.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    Beretta if your worried about recoil. Benelli's are great...I shoot one alot. If your shooting 3.5s alot it will bother you alittle.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmess View Post
    Beretta if your worried about recoil. Benelli's are great...I shoot one alot. If your shooting 3.5s alot it will bother you alittle.
    ^^^^ Agree

I have a SBE2, and 3.5” shells are a little rough. Would definitely go gas-operated over inertia for the big boys.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    I shoot a Browning Maxxus for Geese with the 3.5" shells and a Browning A5 for ducks. Beretta Extrema would be another good choice. The gas gun seems to tame the recoil a little better. Especially when hunting from a layout blind.

7. Member
    If you're h3ll bent on shooting 3.5" for geese ............ gas-operated.

As for brand ........... buy whatever gas-operated that naturally fits YOU.

Me ..... I'm shooting an old Browning Gold 3.5" that I bought when they came out as a gift to myself out of college and had a good-paying job. Like mentioned above by others, I too pretty much only shoot 3" out of it. But then again all waterfowling is field layouts for resident Canadas and a few summer duck holes.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

I shoot a VersaMax. It is probably has the least amount of recoil out of any of them. I've had mine for 4 years now without a single hiccup. I should probably be a little better about cleaning it, but it hasn't effected it at all. I shoot anything from 2 3/4 target loads to 3.5 goose loads. Some people seem to look at the VersaMax as the black sheep, but I have seen very few people that own them that don't love them.

9. Member
    I shoot the stoger 3500 in 12 for geese and 20 for ducks. I don't need 3.5's just plain old #2 expert.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

10. T Dub
    If you have any interest in a brand new Retay Masai Mara Air King give me a shout

This past season I shot the stoeger m3500 with a carlson's long range choke. I've had a few hiccups from time to time with the 3.5's while snow goose hunting. We shoot from layout blinds. I checked out the beretta a400, benelli super black etc. and browning wicked wings this weekend. I liked the way the benelli felt and shouldered the best. I'm going to keep the stoeger for a backup. Just looking for a top end gun that'll not let me down. I did pick up the new Retay, just felt a little heavier but did shoulder well, I just haven't read a lot about the brand, which I understand is fairly new. I haven't shouldered or gotten to check out the versa max. My son is dead set on a wicked wings but the hump back would take some getting use to. So I'm still undecided but got a few months before season starts.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I shoot a VersaMax. It is probably has the least amount of recoil out of any of them. I've had mine for 4 years now without a single hiccup. I should probably be a little better about cleaning it, but it hasn't effected it at all. I shoot anything from 2 3/4 target loads to 3.5 goose loads. Some people seem to look at the VersaMax as the black sheep, but I have seen very few people that own them that don't love them.
    Another one for the Versamax. The only thing I found mine needed was the addition of a Wolff +25% action spring. It helped it cycle a little better.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

13. Member
    As said above...I would rule out an inertia gun for shooting 3.5's. So for me, the only option would be an Extrema. I'm very partial to Benelli's and Beretta's though.

I've shot plenty of 3.5's through my SBE's, and it's a little tough with the recoil. If I think I may need some extra horsepower...i'll just shoot tungsten. A good 1 3/8 oz load of #4 tungsten will outperform any 3.5inch steel BB...any day of the week...and your shoulder will thank you!

14. Member
    Beretta with kick off system. Soft shooting and has been very reliable.

15. Member
    Been shooting a Benelli SBE since the 90’s. If I could wear it out, I would go buy a new SBE 3.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My sons and I all shoot Beretta. Youngest has an Extrema, oldest Extrema II I shoot an A400 xtreme. I have a Browning gold and 870 sp chambered in 3.5 also nut they are seldom used.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

17. Moderator
    I have several duck guns. I really love Benelli's. However, if I was shooting 3.5" shells all day, my Beretta Extreme Plus is what will be used, no doubt. Cant go wrong with any B gun....

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Get a Beretta Extreme Plus, there is no better all around waterfowl gun period, and I own them all.

19. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    Been shooting a Benelli SBE since the 90’s. If I could wear it out, I would go buy a new SBE 3.

I keep trying to wear out my SBE2 for the same reason. I have about 13 to 15 years on her.

I agree with the comments on kick for the 3.5s. It's noticeably more compared to other guns. But whats also noticeable, is how well the SBE2 shoulders for me. Whats even more noticeable is how all of my hunting buddies who shoot different kinds of guns all have problems from to time to time. Cold freezing temps and muddy swamps tend to cause issues for my buddies. My gun has never had issue firing. SBE for life
    Thanos was the hero