gouge in the gel coat

So I was tied up to a stump crappie fishing and a boat came by and made a huge wake. It caused the boat to drift and hit a Tee post stuck in the top of another stump. It made a scratch/gouge above the water line about 6'' long and about 3/16'' wide. I can just barely see some of the glass matt in 1 spot. Scratch is right where the boat registration numbers are.

Boat is a 2015 triton 189 trx.

I tried searching how to repair, but haven't had much luck.

Should I fill it back in with resin? What should I do to fix it? Also boat is jet black and I want the color to match.

I have a lot of experience with auto body work, but I have never messed with gel coat and I have no idea what to do. I don't know what materials to use, but I figure sand area, fill in the area, color match, and sand/buff it out.

Thank you for any help

Steps are bout right butttt really would like to see a pic to give good usable advice...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    i'll see if I can get my wife to go get a picture of the spot tomorrow. I'm out of town working and trying to figure out what materials to order so i can fix it when I get home... I appreciate it.

4. Member
    BBAFF8BE-20AD-4E46-9904-96DD02EB582C.jpeg

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

5. Member
    anyone?

You can grind out, fill, spray background gel color the flake/clear gel, then clear gel.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Call Ranger, i was able to get my flake and gel kit from them for my 05 201 prox xl.