Leaking Compartment

I'm the new owner of a 2016 Basscat Puma. This is my first Basscat, coming from a Ranger Z520. This past weekend I got caught in a major downpour and noticed one compartment with water in it. It is the small day box next to the cooler on the step to front deck. I was surprised since that lid has the compression latch. I can't figure out how it would leak unless it backs up under the lid. Anyone else with that problem? I do love the boat and didn't take long to get used to the forward trolling motor pedal. Still trying to figure out the holeshot and learning to drive to full potential.

2. Member
    Never had that issue, been a Cat owner for 20 years. Someone from BassCat will be along shortly to help you out.

3. Member
    I only had that problem one time and it was from the latches being loose . Try tightening the two screws on the bottom of your latches ,mine worked loose after I tightened them two years ago I have not had issues.

4. Member
    Welcome to the family! Mine is a 2018 Puma and I have never had the issue you described. As long as the weather strip is still intact and the compression latch is "tight" enough, I can't see how it could leak. Perhaps add something to rejuvenate the weather strip? A Puma is a completely different animal than a Z520. You have to drive a Puma. A BassCat is very trim sensitive, in other words, don't overtrim. What engine/prop do you have?
    Power poles?

5. Member
    I have a 2007 and have not seen that in mine either. The only time it will get anything in it all is at the end of the year when I clean the carpet with a small elec. pressure washer. That is the only one that does it though. even with the small amount of flex when you step on the deck the compartments never leak.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Welcome to the family! Mine is a 2018 Puma and I have never had the issue you described. As long as the weather strip is still intact and the compression latch is "tight" enough, I can't see how it could leak. Perhaps add something to rejuvenate the weather strip? A Puma is a completely different animal than a Z520. You have to drive a Puma. A BassCat is very trim sensitive, in other words, don't overtrim. What engine/prop do you have?
    Power poles?
    I have a Mercury 250 Pro XS, Fury 3 25pitch, 2 Power poles.

7. Member
    Its usually the Latch leaking.
    Here is a link to help you.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...ng-in-boxes-3/

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Lee View Post
    I have the same setup and mine can be a little slow out of the hole sometimes. If you have a hydraulic jackplace, try trimming it up and inch or so when planing out.

9. Member
    I can't help with performance suggestions.
    Mine has a 250 SHO with a 26 pitch SHO prop, no poles.

10. Member
    I do love the boat and didn't take long to get used to the forward trolling motor pedal. Still trying to figure out the holeshot and learning to drive to full potential.
    Welcome. Interesting comment regarding the forward position of the pedal. A lot of people in other brands look at and think that they could never get used to it. Most of the time first time owners of a BCB get used to it after a few trips and say they would never want to go back to the old placement position. Make sure that the plugs are out of your Fury for more ventilation for holeshot. Seat time will get you up to full potential.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The latches are tight and the weather seal is intact. I did pull the plugs out of the fury to see if it helps the hole shot. Thanks again.

12. Member
    My 2008 Cougar FTD leaked water in the drivers side front storage compartment & the leak was not caused by a leaking latch

13. Member
    2019 Eyra passenger seat storage leaks water. With the raised lip and the rubber seal around the opening is some how letting water into the storage compartment. The dealer supposedly put silicone sealer on the 2 seat screws that run into the compartment which has not stopped the the water leak.. The other 2 screws do not go into the compartment. I can not see how water is getting in the passenger seat compartment. The drivers seat compartment stays dry.
    Last edited by hekistner; 05-18-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

The only way to resolve where things leak from is the dunk test. We have over time tried many methods including water hoses, only the dunk test solves almost all leak issues. There are limited other issues on pre 2019 year models in some smaller to mid sized boats that the dunk test will not find. Those are limited and only a small segment.

15. Banned
    20190328_174629.jpg20190328_174629.jpg if you have have hyd. jack plate,a atlas, start at reading 4 on the gage. 26 fury w/ 3/16 holes drilled at each plug hole. Greatly improves hole shot

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The only way to resolve where things leak from is the dunk test. We have over time tried many methods including water hoses, only the dunk test solves almost all leak issues. There are limited other issues on pre 2019 year models in some smaller to mid sized boats that the dunk test will not find. Those are limited and only a small segment.
    The compartment has leaked from day one and there are only 2 screws that goes through from the top side of that compartment which holds the right side of the seat. Can I remove the 4 screws and remove the seat and apply sealant to the top side and put the seat back in?? I really shouldn't be having this problem from day 1 last February when I picked the boat from the dealer.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496