Hydraulic steering for 175 hp efi xri

Hey guys. I've got a 1994 Ranger 481vs with a 175 efi xri. I want to get hydraulic steering for it and I've seen there's two different types. One for 150hp and under and one for 175 and up. There's about 600 dollars difference between the two. What problems would I run into putting the 150 and under on it vs putting the recommended 175 and up? Is there that much of a difference for mine being 25hp more?

My thought, spend the extra money and buy the one designed and approved for your setup from either Seastar or Uflex. I just installed a Seastar Pro on my older Ranger with a 150hp. The boat may not be worth it but my passengers and myself are. Let me tell you, going from old two cable system that I had to use two hands to turn to now, one finger operation, can't get the smile off my face.

I installed the Baystar (cheaper) unit on my 1988 Ranger 360V. I too had the old dual cable steering that was freezing up on me. It seemed I opened up a hornets nest when I mentioned I was putting this on my 150XP. I was told it was for the 150hp bay boats or something along those lines. But I already had it purchased and figured it was my $600 that I could use elsewhere and I installed it! Let me tell you, it works perfectly and is absolutely as smooth as butter. I have NO regrets and absolutely NO complaints. I spoke to the Engineers at Seastar / Baystar and they assured me I would have no worries. There is a disclaimer about exceeding 60 mph and some of the HO motors of today, but that didn't apply to me. The 175hp exceeds it's recommendations and probably the 60mph limitation, so that might make me nervous. Good Luck!!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

4. Member
    Alright. Well I ended up buying the hydrodrive MF175W. I talked with someone at the company and they assured me that I would have absolutely no complaints at all with this unit. It's rated for 175hp and 65 mph and it was only 720 dollars shipped. There's alot of good reviews on it. I'll install it and report back.