Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The truth about Nitro's?

Hello all

Just another novice looking to buy a big expensive toy and I thought I try and clear somethings up that I have been told or read with the guys/gals who own them.

I am trying to pick between the new 2121 Skeeter ZXR20 and a Nitro Z20. The Nitro is 9k cheaper with the same options and even with the new Dowco air ride seats. I mean wow I am impressed by the saving but I ask myself how are they doing this? Normally a cheaper priced boat means lower quality, is that really the case here? I have also heard dealing with Nitro for warranty claims is a lot like dealing with Harley Davidson which I personally know is a pain in the ass, so is this true?

Skeeter dealer called them Kia's which I honestly didn't expect raved reviews from him. And honestly that car brand makes good stuff.

I intend to fish the great lakes often so I am looking for a boat that will take it on (to a point) and hold together. Simply put would you buy a Nitro again?

Thank you all for reading and if you respond I thank you for your input.

2. Member
    If the Great Lakes is a primary area to fish, why not the Z21 or one of the ZV series? I switched to a Nitro Z21 last year from 15 years in a Bass Cat. I am very happy with the Z21- great layout, storage, fishability, and ride. Absolutely love the livewells too.

3. Member
    Fiberglass, gelcoat, motor, trolling motors etc are going to be very similar for most boat brands. Some of the details such as latch lids, carpet quality, layout etc are going to be the real difference between boat brands. For me personally, lid latches and higher quality carpet wasn't worth the 18k or so for a similarly equipped boat in my area.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Banned
    I looked at them both. Motors are a wash, fit finish I gave a slight and very slight advantage to skeeter. I couldn't get over the single livewell on the skeeter and the way the top cap mounts to the hull. As far as I know skeeters are unique in that aspect. If you can look at the Z21, nicer carpet, hardware and console controls. IMO a Z21 was nicer than the FXR21. Both boats are super nice either way.though.

5. Member
    So I live near Erie and wouldn't mind taking it out from time to time but mainly I will fish inner lakes. I am going with a 20 for storage reasons believe it or not

6. Member
    I was thinking the same thing about one of the deeper ZV series Nitro boats, to be honest.

7. Dogfish_Jones
    To get all the bells and whistles for a Nitro you will need to move up to a Z21. Skeeter makes a nice boat, no doubt, but I looked at many other types when I purchase my new boat this year and for what I wanted in a boat, nothing came close to the Nitro Z20 I bought, price wise for what you are getting.Nitro's are not bad built boats at all, in fact I have seen some huge improvements in the last few years. You cannot compare Nitro's to what they were over 10 years ago. I looked at Skeeter, Phoenix, Bass Cat and Rangers and did a process of making what I think was a wise choice.
    I do not fish huge open lakes, the biggest lake I fish is Guntersville and it does great on it when the barges are rolling through and the other tens of thousands are on the lake.

8. Member
    Any issues working with Nitro on problems? I believe all brands have their highs and lows when it comes to customer service but its worth knowing ahead of time.

9. Member
    Thats what caught my on the new ZXR

That haul and the V it had would cut through the waves much better and less of a beating

10. Dogfish_Jones
    I have had ZERO problems dealing with my local BPS where I purchased my boat. Mind you I have not had one issue with my Z20, but before this boat I had a 2015 Z7 and no major problems but when I did have a couple of minor issues they fixed it up under warranty without any hassle.
    NOW.....I am not a fan of their trailers, at-least the single axle ones. My Z7 trailer was a piece of junk, my Z20 dual axle one ...so far has not had any problems and it looks a lot beefier and made better.

11. Member
    Thanks for the feed back about the trailers

12. Member
    I had I had a 10 and a 14 Skeeter Fx 21 and my tournament buddy had a Nitro z20 and 21 during the same time. I loved the ride in mine, noticeably smoother in rough water. I have the proverbial fisherman bad back which is why I stayed with Skeeter. I loved everything else better about the Nitro - storage, wide deck, stability, the coolers, etc. Now That I’m retired and a fair weather fisherman, my next boat would be a Nitro. If you have a decent back, I wouldn’t pay the extra.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    I had I had a 10 and a 14 Skeeter Fx 21 and my tournament buddy had a Nitro z20 and 21 during the same time. I loved the ride in mine, noticeably smoother in rough water. I have the proverbial fisherman bad back which is why I stayed with Skeeter. I loved everything else better about the Nitro - storage, wide deck, stability, the coolers, etc. Now That I’m retired and a fair weather fisherman, my next boat would be a Nitro. If you have a decent back, I wouldn’t pay the extra.
    Great things to think about and I can see why the Skeeter would ride better by just looking at the hull designs. My backs fine and this is my mid life crisis toy as my fiance would say. New for 2020 Nitro has these new seats the Dowcos cruise air ride and I saw a video on them, they look impressive.

14. Member
    I have the dowco on mine and it's very comfortable. Ran in some very tight 3 footers over the weekend and it was nice.
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

I custom ordered my 2019 in November of 2018 and took delivery in January of 2019. This was after a a few years of research on several bass boat manufacturers. The bottom line is there are a lot of good bass boats made today, and I’m not bashing any of them. What I will say as factual is that there is no other boat manufacturer that can even come close to the value that Nitro does. The best part is that they do not cut corners to do this. I have ridden in a lot of the others from Rangers to Stratus and Tritons. Never been in a Skeeter but did seriously look at them when I was making my purchase. I say all that to say, you will not be disappointed if you go with the Nitro. In fact, my diehard Ranger buddy is blown away at how nice my Nitro rides as well as the fit/finish. As far as trailers go, I went with the dual axle with fiberglass fenders. I do wish that Nitro would offer either an aluminum trailer or a C-Channel trailer. Bottom line, after almost a year and a half I have loved everything about my Nitro purchase and I would no doubt do it again. Good luck with your purchase decision.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahabs_leg View Post
    Great things to think about and I can see why the Skeeter would ride better by just looking at the hull designs. My backs fine and this is my mid life crisis toy as my fiance would say. New for 2020 Nitro has these new seats the Dowcos cruise air ride and I saw a video on them, they look impressive.
    The Nitro will ride great. My Z21 rides better than both of the Ranger 521L boats I have been in.

17. Member
    On my 4th Nitro 95 180FS, 08 901 CDX, 13 Z9 and my first new purchased boat 17 Z21. Im happy with the brand. I fish the big northern water every summer and it handles it about as good as any bass boat will. Those conditions can be quite unique to that region as you know and bass boats just arent the best vessels for that.

I was torn between the 18 Skeeter ZX 250 and the Z21 and went with the Z21 due to the additional savings on a model year leftover in the color I wanted. Couldnt be happier. I have not dealt with Nitro for anything warranty but I have ordered parts for things that were my own fault easily through a couple different dealers. I've delt with Mercury warranty on a couple occasions with the Z9 compressor and Z21 lower unit and couldnt be more pleased with the prompt repairs/replacements and return to service.

18. Member
    I have a Z20. I personally wouldn’t buy another one. My boat is garage stored except when camping then it is covered. Within the first year my Noco charger went bad and the brake axle locked up burned out the bearings and brakes. My Dowco cover had a couple of seams come out and leaked like a sieve. During the second year the carpet started showing black spots where anyone stands. It wasn’t wear but looked nasty.

I have a 2015z8, I would buy another nitro in the future, I have had no issues with the boat other than I had to glue the carpet down on the rod ramp area 1 time. Motor, and other junk bolted to all these boats will fail many times over before the hull.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

20. Member
    On my 2nd Nitro now, Z8 and now a Z20, and I absolutely love the boats. I went with a new Z8 as my first bass boat because of the price. I couldn't pass up the value I was getting for the money and for my first bass boat, I wasn't going to drop 60K to find out if I liked them over a deep-V or not. I absolutely loved that boat, and that is why I went back to Nitro for the Z20. They ride great and I love the storage. Yes, there are minor differences in quality with some little things, but nothing you'll probably even notice, IMO. All boats have there issues and things that could be improved, but if Manufacturers made absolutely perfect boats, with only the best materials, they'd never be able to price them at a point that anyone on the planet would be able to buy one.

As far as warranty, I've never had a problem if I needed service. My Z8 went in for a few minor things, and it was no different than taking in the truck for warranty work. Drop it off at a dealer, when it's done, pick it up and off you go. I only use Tracker Marine Boat Centers, so I can't speak for any other type of service centers.

All in all, best value I've found in a boat. They look good, ride great, and are very easy to fish out of with excellent storage.

Just my opinions, but I think the majority of current Nitro owners will agree.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast