Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDaniel View Post
    I got the rebuilt lower unit installed and cranked with muffs in the driveway and it shifted great. I did not go with SEI, but I went with US Boatworks rebuilt lower unit with all OMC parts. It was more money than the SEI unit, but after talking with them on the phone I was willing to pay more money to get OMC genuine parts vs chinese parts. With the new water pump it has much stronger water pressure and a better stream. The most water pressure I had before at 5200 RPM's was around 26 - 27 PSI. Just in the driveway with muffs it had 24 PSI around 2200 RPM's. It ran good in the driveway and I don't think the powerhead is hurt, but until I can get it back in the water and breakin the lower unit I just don't know for sure. With this lower unit I am only using HPF Pro Gearcase Lube Gear Oil. After this work and investment, I will spend $20 more dollars to run the Pro Gear Oil as this thing sees 62 MPH a good bit.

Special shoutout to ChampioNman on the shift rod length in neutral. The shift rod in the destroyed unit measured 21 1/4" in neutral from the mounting surface to center of the upper shift rod hole, so that I where I put it in the new unit. I removed the clip on the bottom of the upper drive shaft, cleaned and greased the splines and went with it. I did use a bunch of Dawn dish detergent on the water pump impeller to lubricate it on startup. Getting the cover over the impeller was certainly fun... dear goodness.

Once I can get it on the water one day this week I will post back with some video.

Kevin
    What kind of warranty was offered for the rebuilt lower unit ?

2. Member
    1 year only vs 3 years on the SEI unit. However, my son fishes High School and now upcoming Collegiate Bass tournaments and SEI told me any tournament/competition use of the boat voids any warranties. When I talked to the guys in Kansas City, they said as long as I don't destroy it with a stump or run it dry, it is covered. I guess if it was just me running around, I would have went with SEI, but with my son out on lakes with it.... well... you know. I am sure the SEI would be good, but the guys on the phone convinced me to spend more money. I promise to provide updates on the lower unit so others can have real feedback on it. Certainly the breakin process is critical regardless.

3. Member
    Took it out this evening to break in the lower unit. Did an hour of up and down and cruising around 35 - 40 MPHs. No hard digs out the hole. Got home and drained the oil. Clean and no water in the gearcase. Back out Sunday to do some bass fishing. Here are some pics and a couple videos via links. This is a Stratos 273 with the 98 Johnson 150 Fast Strike.

IMG_6904.JPG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-j...0cOszgZN88Imtf

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DK...DTbpWzlY6YL6WX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12