Thread: !998 R93

Question !998 R93

1998 Merc 200 efi I have a hot foot on it and on all my other boats that had a hot foot the gear selector would only move about a quarter forward and reverse. This one doesn’t. Is there a stop I need to adjust on it, so it doesn't go down as far?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I would say no, but that’s a good question for the Mercury motors forum.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I would say no, but that’s a good question for the Mercury motors forum.
    Thanks, I posted it over there too but got a response of hot foot dont have anything to do with the handle. I'm sure someone that has some knowledge will chime in.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Well, the hot foot definitely has something to do with the throttle, because you use the hand throttle to put the engine into and out of gear. All the boats I’ve had with a hot foot [7 or 8 of them] have been powered by Evinrudes, but on them you need to advance the hand throttle all the way forward to go into forward gear, and all the way back [full throw] for reverse. To me, what you’re describing is normal.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Mine was all the way forward and all the way back too.
    It can be exciting when you drive someone else's boat that doesn't have a hot foot and slam it forward.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

6. Member
    I have a 99 R91. It doesn't take much forward or reverse for it to engage into gear. It does move all the way in both directions once engaged. It doesn't do anything between engage and full throw.
    I repowered to a 200 G2 and went from hot foot to the all digital and its the same.

7. Member
    Fixed it. There is a pin you move in the control box to lock the throttle and gear cables together.