Thread: Talon Covers

Talon Covers

My 12' Talons are a couple of years old. Non Bluetooth. Looking to purchase a couple of travel covers but everything I find on line states they are for Bluetooth Talons. Is there actually a physical difference between the BT and non BT units? They're really proud of them and I'm not interested in dropping the cash if Ill just end up sending them back

2. Member
    I think the difference is where the control panel is located. the older Talons it's located at or near the top and the new BT models are more towards the center. I don't think you can use the new covers on old models.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

3. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Thanks CM. A couple of days after I posted this question I realized the covers won't work on Talons with tilt brackets because of the support leg mounting. Sounds like theres a market for someone to come up with an alternative protection system. Mmmm

4. Member
    I have tilt brackets on my BT talons and the covers snap around the mounts perfectly.

5. Member
    I had a cover that I used for a non bluethooth model ( 12foot) with the control panel a third of the way down from the top and I'm using it for a bluethooth model ( 12 foot)now. It's a little tight but it fits.

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Good to know guys. Two things wrong for me with the covers right now. Can't find any that are non BT (even though folks say the BT cover will fit the NBT Talon), and two, 80 frickin dollars a piece. Why/how is one cover worth $80?

7. Member
    Non blue tooth covers are hard to find. Keep checking the for
    sale boards. I found 2 a while back. Just an FYI, the covers do work with tilt brackets. They go around the fold
    down arms. I would think the blue tooth covers would work.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipLaney View Post
    My 12' Talons are a couple of years old. Non Bluetooth. Looking to purchase a couple of travel covers but everything I find on line states they are for Bluetooth Talons. Is there actually a physical difference between the BT and non BT units? They're really proud of them and I'm not interested in dropping the cash if Ill just end up sending them back
    I saw some canvas covers online that would fit your model but they don't look as slick in my opinion, and not sure if they would flap in the wind. They are much more affordable though.

I recently installed a set of 10 ft BT models so I started searching around for the MK brand covers and you are right, they are VERY proud of them. Has me second guessing if I need them. I want to protect the investment, especially when trailering longer trips through construction zones, bad weather etc but are they necessary? Also, a few of the reviews said the material is very thin and prone to ripping.

9. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    local canvas guy...easy

10. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slig View Post
    I saw some canvas covers online that would fit your model but they don't look as slick in my opinion, and not sure if they would flap in the wind. They are much more affordable though.

I recently installed a set of 10 ft BT models so I started searching around for the MK brand covers and you are right, they are VERY proud of them. Has me second guessing if I need them. I want to protect the investment, especially when trailering longer trips through construction zones, bad weather etc but are they necessary? Also, a few of the reviews said the material is very thin and prone to ripping.
    Same here. Just trying to protect my investment from the elements. Some of my local lakes require travel down several miles of gravel road. I don't got there often but when I do I have a rock shield on my hitch and people get pissed having to go around me because Im driving slower than they want. Gravel and dirt still manage to make it in the boat. Ill come up with something even if its just shrink wrap for the gravel roads and longer interstate trips. That'll look all trailer park redneck like cool and stuff

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipLaney View Post
    Same here. Just trying to protect my investment from the elements. Some of my local lakes require travel down several miles of gravel road. I don't got there often but when I do I have a rock shield on my hitch and people get pissed having to go around me because Im driving slower than they want. Gravel and dirt still manage to make it in the boat. Ill come up with something even if its just shrink wrap for the gravel roads and longer interstate trips. That'll look all trailer park redneck like cool and stuff
    Or just do what I used to see people do when going to car meets that require a long drive, tape off the front facing surfaces with blue painters tape

I have dual 12ft Talons with bluetooth and have the Minn Kota brand covers. If I recall, when I bought them online it said for bluetooth models but when I got the boxes it said it could be used for either. as others have said, they do fit with the tilt bracket stands installed. They are a very tight fit, especially when new. I have a seam that ripped a little when installing them one day, hasn't torn anymore. But I do think they are overpriced.

Another option, albeit more expensive, is Tuff Skinz. Upside is they are made like their vented motor covers and don't need to be removed. I don't know if they will work with the kick stand but I asked, just waiting for a response.

12. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    Or just do what I used to see people do when going to car meets that require a long drive, tape off the front facing surfaces with blue painters tape

I have dual 12ft Talons with bluetooth and have the Minn Kota brand covers. If I recall, when I bought them online it said for bluetooth models but when I got the boxes it said it could be used for either. as others have said, they do fit with the tilt bracket stands installed. They are a very tight fit, especially when new. I have a seam that ripped a little when installing them one day, hasn't torn anymore. But I do think they are overpriced.

Another option, albeit more expensive, is Tuff Skinz. Upside is they are made like their vented motor covers and don't need to be removed. I don't know if they will work with the kick stand but I asked, just waiting for a response.
    Thank you Gary. I'm trying to keep my options open and affordable. I'm not a cheapskate but $80 a piece is outrageous to me

I bought Tuff Skinz covers for mine. And you can leave them on when on the lake. Same material as their engine covers, and mine are 4 years old now. They can fit them for use with an LED anchor light and the tilt bracket kick stand.

https://www.tuffskinz.net/product/mi...a-talon-cover/

14. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    I bought Tuff Skinz covers for mine. And you can leave them on when on the lake. Same material as their engine covers, and mine are 4 years old now. They can fit them for use with an LED anchor light and the tilt bracket kick stand.

https://www.tuffskinz.net/product/mi...a-talon-cover/
    Those look really nice and functional and worth spending the money on when compared to the MK covers. I'm going to order some when I get back from my trip to SD next week. Wish I had them for the trip but, too late now. Thank You

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NebRig View Post
    I found someone that will make non bluetooth covers for talons Creative Stitching she is very good and no staps zipper al the way down 2 for 175.00
    Had 2 made for my 12 foot talons.