Ranger Z519 poor performance with heavier load

I hope someone can help. I recently purchased a 2017 Ranger 519 with Yamaha vmax Sho 225 with 33 hours. The prop is a Fury 25p, the plugs have holes in them. 10” manual jack plate. The boat has 4 batteries and no power poles. By myself with fishing gear and 1/2 tank of gas boat turns about 5400 max rpms and I’ve got up 67 mph. It might go a bit faster. Hole shot is good rpms are about 3500 to 3800.
    Here is my concern, this last trip took 2 family members out, additional total weight of 435 lbs people and gear, 3/4 tank of fuel and live well had water in it. Water temp 66 degrees elevation about 800’. The rpms in hole shot stayed the same, however top speed was 50mph and rpms would not go above 4500 no matter how high I trimmed it. I called Ranger they said the prop and the height of the jack plate are correct. I understand reduced speed with weight but why can’t I increase the rpms. Do I need a 4 blade prop or 24p prop, would a yamaha prop be better when I carry extra weight? Thanks for the help

Yamaha T1/2 or a Tempest.
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

Tempest, by a good used one and send it to Mark.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

4. Member
    Did you run the boat again with all the weight out, sounds more like a engine problem.

Have you ever run Yama-Lube in the fuel ? It could be that your pistons are carboned up and or your plugs are, or both !! I laughed at those who told me about that until my motor wouldn't get out of it's own shadow !! Then I ran it in every tank !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    I have a hydraulic jackplate and when I have a second person/tournament load the boat sits totally different and needs to be set higher up. My haunch would be your boat is deeper with the extra weight and you cant get it out of the water enough to hit the high end RPMs. Maybe move it a couple holes until you get a better balance between unloaded or loaded.

7. Member
    My experience with a Fury 3 blade prop and heavy load equals slow hole shot and little bow lift.
    A worked Fury 3 can greatly help.

8. Member
    I run a Ranger 119c with a 225 Sho 10" manual jack plate still set at factory setting 4" to 5" below pad. My top speed lite load is 74mph, 1500' above sea level and water temps 80 degrees. This is with the factory Yamaha three blade 25 pitch prop I think it is a T-1. It is fair out of the hole and you have to get to about 45mph before you can start lifting the nose but it has good top end. This was not what I wanted. I wanted a great hole shot, high on plane at lower speeds, carry full gas tanks plus tournament loads and stay on plane at lower speeds, carry heavy loads and quick throttle response and constant in the upper sixties and close to seventy. The prop I found that did this was a Brovo FS 26 pitch. It made my boat very responsive. I cant say enough about how happy I am with this set up. I have a friend with a 521 and 250 Sho I recommended this prop to him in a 25 pitch. He loves it, he said it turned his boat into a very responsive 72mph boat. Make sure it is the Mercury Brovo one FS prop for the four stroke Sho motor.......
    Last edited by steve green; 08-23-2020 at 05:25 PM.

9. Member
    Thank you, I have done some research and got some pms with good info. I’m leaning towards the Yamaha t2 24p or the bravo.What RPMs are you turning? I’m trying to get all the info before I spend the $$. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    Tempest, by a good used one and send it to Mark.
    See above, my motor is a pro xs, but a worked tempest is way better than a fury.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Have you ever run Yama-Lube in the fuel ? It could be that your pistons are carboned up and or your plugs are, or both !! I laughed at those who told me about that until my motor wouldn't get out of it's own shadow !! Then I ran it in every tank !!
    OOPS !! I meant "Ring Free" not Yama Lube !!!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    I have been using ring free and Yamaha gas treatment every time. Thanks for the input