Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 Precision Sonar console mount

Is anyone using on this on their RT188? I just bought 2 HDS Carbon 9's to upgrade my old Gen 2's. Does it require the steering wheel spacer? When I bought my RT originally the dealer removed the factory depthfinder, put a cover over the hole and installed my Merc Monitor sc1000. Obviously I don't want to lose that gauge, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

Also what about a Balzout mount, mounted next to the console? Is the base small enough to mount next to console? For reference, I'm referring to the flat area above the shifter. I had a balzout mount on my old boat, and remember the base being really big.
    Last edited by Bassakwards; 05-06-2020 at 08:00 AM. Reason: additional question

2. Member
    What year is it? I think after 2018 they changed the steering wheel. If it’s a plastic wheel then yeah you need the spacer kit.

3. Member
    It's a 2016

4. Member
    I have a 2015 RT and just put a BBT dash mount which did require a spacer. If you look at the Precision Sonar Mount website it does show a spacer on all of the Ranger RT photos.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlFedAngler View Post
    I have a 2015 RT and just put a BBT dash mount which did require a spacer. If you look at the Precision Sonar Mount website it does show a spacer on all of the Ranger RT photos.
    I did look at the website, but to me some of them looked like they did, and some didn't. But when you open the single unit mount, it doesn't mention the spacer. The dual mount says its comes with the spacer.

6. Member
    I only have a 178 but with the installation of my Solix your probably gong to need a spacer and it will still be tight. I don’t have hydraulic steering and I am not sure if the helm is the same measurement as the no feedback helm. I have a spacer and bought two mounts and they were both a little tighter than I wanted.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    I only have a 178 but with the installation of my Solix your probably gong to need a spacer and it will still be tight. I don’t have hydraulic steering and I am not sure if the helm is the same measurement as the no feedback helm. I have a spacer and bought two mounts and they were both a little tighter than I wanted.
    Thanks for the info. I like how clean installation looks but I'm not real excited about the cost. Maybe I will just keep the Ram mount my Gen 2 has been one the last 5 years. It doesn't give me any problems other than moving a little when its rough.

8. Banned
    The Balzout base diameter is the same as Ram. I have a Ram cable spacer under my Balzout.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    The Balzout base diameter is the same as Ram. I have a Ram cable spacer under my Balzout.
    Ok, its possible I thought it was really big, compared to the size ram mount I had at that time.

This is my HDS9 on a Precision Sonar Mount. Mine has a 2 inch spacer and it is a little tight with gloves but I think they are using 3 inch now. I mounted my Merc Monitor in the place of the speedometer.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    Here's mine with the BBT mount. I really like the look but it's more $ than the PSM. But it is rock solid. It will not move!

BBT Mount.jpg

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Please feel free to call 270-703-6133.

Our plates are 1/4' aluminum as well as our smart brackets.

Wheel spacer will be required depending on the units you choose.

helix rt 188.jpgRanger Rt.jpg

We are super easy to work with!
    Look forward to hearing from you.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Looks Great!!!!

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Looks Great!!!! @ Bill Reynolds

15. Member
    I have my Helix 12 mounted on my console of my 2019 RT188 using the Precision mount w/ spacer kit. I really like the spacer kit for 2 reasons: 1) the space it gives between the steering wheel and my unit. 2) It allows me to sit back in the drivers seat instead of leaning over the wheel because the drivers seat sets so for back on the RT. I really wished the drivers seat was adjustable
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

16. Member
    Bringing this back up to the top. I ended going with the balzout mount but it moves / shakes more than I'd like. I'm afraid the screws may rip out of the aluminum. Any suggestions. It's mounted on top of the flat spot right in between the shifter and the console.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Bringing this back up to the top. I ended going with the balzout mount but it moves / shakes more than I'd like. I'm afraid the screws may rip out of the aluminum. Any suggestions. It's mounted on top of the flat spot right in between the shifter and the console.
    It's probably your boat moving and not the mount. They are very solid. Might have to make some kind of thicker plate and put in it underneath where you mounted it to make it thicker in that area.

18. Member
    Take the screws out that hold the shifter in and reach up in that hole to add nylock nuts and fasten down with bolts.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlFedAngler View Post
    It's probably your boat moving and not the mount. They are very solid. Might have to make some kind of thicker plate and put in it underneath where you mounted it to make it thicker in that area.
    It is definitely the boat not the mount. The balzout Is solid.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I mounted my Helix 10 on a BalZout mount next to the console on the cover where the shift control is mounted.

I thought it was pretty solid when I mounted it but after the 3rd or 4th trip out I noticed the bases flexes some.

It is not the mount giving but the aluminum piece it is mounted on.

I might put it on a console mount later if I notice it getting worse.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast