Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishin Kayak Questions

I have zero knowledge when it comes to fishing Kayaks. I have a 24 year old daughter who I would like to gift a fishing kayak. She wants to paddle, not pedal and will use it for both fishing and just paddling around small lakes and ponds. I would like to spend around $750. Educate me on brands and models to compare and good online dealers.

Do you want to be able to stand in it?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Weight is a major factor as well, as a sit on top is traditionally much heavier than a sit inside; but a sit on top fishes much better. I had the Ascend (from BPS) which met all my needs and was very affordable. I'm in a Pelican (peddle) now.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Also, keep in mind, most kayaks do not come with a paddle. A good quality paddle can cost you. It's all about weight and materials, and length. Also is the kayak being transported in a truck bed, roof top rack?...other things to take into consideration. Will she need a kayak cart? (short answer...yes, unless she wants to carry/drag the kayak to and from where ever she's parked to the water/pond/creek). Expect to pay $75 or more for a quality cart...but you can build one yourself for about $20 or so from PVC and pool noodles.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I have 2. 12ft Sit on Top Eagle Talons. They work great for what I bought them for. They say you can stand up in these.... Not really. I bought them at Dicks Sporting goods "On Sale" I think I paid $1,200 ish for both, 2 paddles, 12 scupper plugs. I use stadium seats in them, Much better than the stock seats. The seats are about as important as the kayak themselves.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I have the feelfree moken v.2 12.5' sit on top and really like it. It has a patented wheel in the keel so no need for a cart unless having to drag it a long distance. Its stable and tracks well, but not the fastest on the market. It has a very comfortable seat and a good size tank well for a crate or cooler. The sonar pod is great for storage or mounting a fishfinder and transducer simply. I paid $699 for mine and $50 for the fiberglass feelfree paddle. I bought mine locally, but I would say the best, most reputable online dealer would probably be Austin Kayak. Hauling is going to be a factor. If she has a truck, she can just get a hitch mounted extender. New trailers are pretty expensive ($1500 and up). I have my wifes and my kayaks on an old tandem jet ski trailer and I mostly use them on the river I live on so I just pull it down there with my 4wheeler. I've never put my on a rooftop, but it would probably be a chore for her alone. They also make a rudder kit for the Moken for around $225.
    Every day work-every day pray. I won't back up, I don't back down, I've been raised up to stand my ground. Shotgun toter, republican voter.
    GOD
    One Nation

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spbubba73 View Post
    I have zero knowledge when it comes to fishing Kayaks. I have a 24 year old daughter who I would like to gift a fishing kayak. She wants to paddle, not pedal and will use it for both fishing and just paddling around small lakes and ponds. I would like to spend around $750. Educate me on brands and models to compare and good online dealers.
    We’ve had a variety of kayaks, up to a Hobie Outback pedal kayak. The kids and grandkids always gravitated toward my wife’s kayak, a Jackson Tupelo 12.5. I ended up selling most of them and got another one for me in the same category as the Tupelo, a Bonafide EX123. Both of these are geared more toward recreation than fishing. The EX123 has more fishing features (rod holders, etc). The EX123 is very light and easy to handle, paddles easily, I use it for quick grab and go trips.

A lot of people will say “get a sit on top”, but our experience has been that they are heavier, wider, and harder to paddle. The real key is a comfortable seat. Whatever you do you want one with a “lawn chair” seat, not just a foam pad. The $750 price point is tough. You’ll be restricted to some of the Chinese made brands. If you can bump that to $1000 you’ll have a lot more options.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

^^what Warhawk said. Also if she doesn't have any experience in one...highly recommend having her practice flipping one over and trying to get back on. There's lots of youtube videos showing how to do it.
    2016 Nitro Z21

old towne pdl

10. Member
    I would look at a Jackson Bite at that price point.

11. Member
    Just make sure its not to heavy for her to load and unload.I prefer a sit on top but in shorts in the sun it can bake you.
    plenty of good used ones around for 1/2 of a new one

12. Member
    I love my diablo amigo, it’s more stable than a lot of boats.

13. Member
    Get her a Crescent UltaLite. You will not find a single review that doesn't rave about it. Every single part on the yak is Made in USA. Stable, tracks well in open water, but has enough rocker to do well in rivers. ~45lbs and $699.

I have a Bonafide SS107. Great fishing yak, but, like most of them, heavy to lug into a truck bed (or gosh forbid, atop an SUV). Weight is a major concern.

I also second the above recommendation for the Feelfree Moken 10 v2. While I'd still favor the Crescent, the new Moken has a lot of value for its current sale price.

Set aside some budget to get a nice paddle, appropriately sized for her -- it will make a significant impact.

I have a Hobie that I fish out of a good bit. A lot of places I go that FAT GIRL is too heavy to drag thru the woods and over log jams and beaver ponds. I picked up one of these for the weight. I'm quite impressed at the way it fishes and how stable it is.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pel...dCatid=5098502

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    I would look at a Jackson Bite at that price point.
    The Coosa is sweet, wish I could get one for these Ozark creeks. BUT I'd have to get two so my wife can have one.

Yes stand up for sure.

17. Member
    Check out a Big Fish 105, I have the big fish 120 that is a 12ft’r and I can stand up in it just fine. The seat has 4 positions and it will also stand straight up out of the way to make more floor/standing space. My wife has a wilderness tarpon 100 but it doesn’t have the plush adjustable seat that is raised above the floor.

https://www.austinkayak.com/3-Waters...ACK24887P.html

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatlildave View Post
    I have a Hobie that I fish out of a good bit. A lot of places I go that FAT GIRL is too heavy to drag thru the woods and over log jams and beaver ponds. I picked up one of these for the weight. I'm quite impressed at the way it fishes and how stable it is.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pel...dCatid=5098502
    That Catch is the Exact one I plan to buy for me to use. Done a Bunch of research on them and everything is Positive. The Wife plans to get one just under it that goes for around $400. It also has the Better Seat and she really doesn't need the extra Fishing Stuff I want.

When I traded out my Ascend FS128T, I went with the Pelican Catch 130 (Pedal drive). I couldn't justify the cost of the Hobie. I'm also quite impressed with it. The pedal drive doesn't have a reverse gear like the newer hobie does, but it's a great fishing platform.
    2016 Nitro Z21

Sit on top better for fishing, sit in much lighter. I can not say what sit on top to get but I'm sure if you can find an "old town" brand "dirigo 10.5 angler" it is probably on sale msrp is 800, sale price is 500 around me and I really like this boat it's my 4th.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast