Question about hull blisters

I’m asking for a buddy of mine who has a 2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche. He just repowered it with a brand new Yamaha four stroke and that is when he discovered major blisters on the bottom of his hull. He bought the boat brand new so he is the first and only owner. The question is, is this a warranty issue? Would this be considered a hull issue? I ask this because of the lifetime hull warranty from Ranger. Either way, I told him that it couldn’t hurt for me to ask the question to my BBC brethren and see who has had experienced this and how it was remedied. Thanks brothers.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Usually it is not covered by the warranty but you never know about the benevolence of Ranger or the dealer.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Tell him to look at the warranty info on the back of his owners manual. It has a blurp about blisters. He can contact Ranger directly and get more info.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

4. Member
    Contact Ranger, they sometimes will fix the issue if you are the original owner.

5. Member
    Warranty states not covered are crazing fading cracks or blistering. Getcha some gatorbaks cheap insurance to prevent this issue.

6. Member
    I have a very good friend who this happened to on his Triton, it was going to cost about seven grand to fix with no warranty they wouldn't come back. He contacted some one who sprayers on a gator type surface over the entire bottom of his boat. Its not a rough surface to the feel but you can see its there, he got a life time warranty on it for not coming back in writing. He passed away this spring but so far he has not had any problems. I think i have pictures if some want to see the finish product.

Thanks for the replies, I will pass the information onto my buddy. One thing I found interesting after researching this issue is what the manufacturers have attributed this to, wet bunks. Makes you wonder if you bought a new boat now would you have the same concerns/issues. I also seen where many folks were saying get the gatorbaks, just like TopGun said above to prevent this from happening. Might have to get some of those myself.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    New boats now have a different kind of treatment on the trailer bunks, so blistering on the more recent models is not as common, but never say never when it comes to boats.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    New boats now have a different kind of treatment on the trailer bunks, so blistering on the more recent models is not as common, but never say never when it comes to boats.
    I thought the blister issue was due to the materials (or lack there of) used in the fiberglass process?
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

Blister issues are gel related and wet bunks or boats sitting in water for long periods of time. Manufactures are trying to eliminate this with newer models buttttttt....Gatorbacks will work.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Blister issues are gel related and wet bunks or boats sitting in water for long periods of time. Manufactures are trying to eliminate this with newer models buttttttt....Gatorbacks will work.
    Yeah I had Gatorbaks on my 521C, not a real fan.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

The era of hull blistering was primarily caused by new resins used when the EPA stopped the use of resins that had been in use for years. Once the blistering problem became evident, the resins and hull spraying processes were again changed, and the issue rarely is a problem anymore.

13. Member
    I had them on my 06 z19. I am the second owner. Contacted ranger and they agreed to pay 1/2 the cost. I thought that was more than fair. Contact ranger and see what they tell you. Hope it works out.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

14. mikesxpress
    Do a search on here for osmotic blistering and you will have enough to read for two days.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Do a search on here for osmotic blistering and you will have enough to read for two days.
    True that!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio