Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ideas needed for compartment pull tabs or latches.

Hey guys,

wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what I can do to change out my old pull tabs for my compartments.
    I bought the boat like this but hate pulling the rings on the tabs because the compartments are so tight.
    I barely can get them open unless I’m standing above them.
    When I’m off the boat trying to reach over and open a compartment it’s tough and annoying.

I’m looking for something decent priced and don’t necessarily need locks considering I empty my boat at night.

Heres my old setup, you can see I have the basic pull tabs with key rings on them and a basic lock.

green lantern movie hector

2. Member
    i made wider, heavier straps with an old trailer winch strap. gives you much more to grab onto.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

3. Member
    I just replaced the same style you have last month with something like this: https://www.boatoutfitters.com/surfa...saAjKvEALw_wcB

The great thing is the cam setup is just like yours. Basically, you're cutting a bigger hole that will encompass your current hole. No filling needed and the latches have a good handle on them already.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    i made wider, heavier straps with an old trailer winch strap. gives you much more to grab onto.
    sounds good, any chance you can post a pic?

thanks

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico370v View Post
    I just replaced the same style you have last month with something like this: https://www.boatoutfitters.com/surfa...saAjKvEALw_wcB

The great thing is the cam setup is just like yours. Basically, you're cutting a bigger hole that will encompass your current hole. No filling needed and the latches have a good handle on them already.
    Those look pretty good.
    I read the bad review on it, do you ever have that issue with the T slightly going backwards causing it to stick up?

thanks

Boat cover straps, cheap 1" tie down straps. I like to melt the ends so they don't fray. Also, if it's a wide hatch, perhaps use two pulls towards each end instead of one in the middle.

7. Member
    No I've never had that issue, but I also used the Whitecap brand, not Perko. Just posted that link to give a design example. Plenty of manufacturers and styles to choose from, just make sure it also includes the cam.

8. Member
    A guy on texasfishingforum sells them in different colors. I just replaced my Champion straps and they work great.

9. Member
    One thing to mention that may or may not be an issue: metal hardware can transfer a lot of heat into a compartment which could be bad if it's a livewell. Just something to consider.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    Boat cover straps, cheap 1" tie down straps. I like to melt the ends so they don't fray. Also, if it's a wide hatch, perhaps use two pulls towards each end instead of one in the middle.
    good idea

thanks

11. Member
    No I've never had that issue, but I also used the Whitecap brand, not Perko. Just posted that link to give a design example. Plenty of manufacturers and styles to choose from, just make sure it also includes the cam.
    ok cool, I’ll look for other versions

thanks

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gleninaz View Post
    A guy on texasfishingforum sells them in different colors. I just replaced my Champion straps and they work great.
    Different colors of what, the latches?

13. Member
    One thing to mention that may or may not be an issue: metal hardware can transfer a lot of heat into a compartment which could be bad if it's a livewell. Just something to consider.
    I was hoping of just using the regular latch pull pieces for the live wells like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Perko-1016DP0...8727164&sr=8-2

14. Banned
    For what it's worth... I have 3 glass bassboats here. Two have the small locks and pull tabs like you have and one has the T handle latches. I know most all the new boats have the T latches and are fashionable, but I absolutely HATE them!! They are a PITA.. The last thing in the world I would do is drill a big hole in each lid to install those stupid things. I would suggest going with the flush mount ones you posted in the pic if you must drill. At least you won't have to worry about tripping over T latches if you forget to push them back down.

I too have one set of rear lids that are hard to open since I re-carpeted them with 24 oz carpet. I just put a little bigger and heavier nylon straps on them and made the loops a little bigger. As others have said, you could use boat cover straps. Wal Mart and/or Joanne Fabrics also carry the nylon strapping material .

15. Member
    On the boat I'm finishing up I used Yeti style cooler latches for my livewells. It's an old Sabre and the livewells are between the seats. I installed the VT2 livewell vents in the lids and that was where the latches used to be. Here's the link to the ones I bought.

https://www.cooler-parts.com/ozark-t...saAqDREALw_wcB

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    For what it's worth... I have 3 glass bassboats here. Two have the small locks and pull tabs like you have and one has the T handle latches. I know most all the new boats have the T latches and are fashionable, but I absolutely HATE them!! They are a PITA.. The last thing in the world I would do is drill a big hole in each lid to install those stupid things. I would suggest going with the flush mount ones you posted in the pic if you must drill. At least you won't have to worry about tripping over T latches if you forget to push them back down.

I too have one set of rear lids that are hard to open since I re-carpeted them with 24 oz carpet. I just put a little bigger and heavier nylon straps on them and made the loops a little bigger. As others have said, you could use boat cover straps. Wal Mart and/or Joanne Fabrics also carry the nylon strapping material .
    I definitely hear you that’s why I was worried about the T bar versions.
    I think I’m going to swap mine out with the thicker strap nylon you guys are recommending and see how those work out.
    Much cheaper and won’t have to drill any big holes.

Thanks for your help!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    On the boat I'm finishing up I used Yeti style cooler latches for my livewells. It's an old Sabre and the livewells are between the seats. I installed the VT2 livewell vents in the lids and that was where the latches used to be. Here's the link to the ones I bought.

https://www.cooler-parts.com/ozark-t...saAqDREALw_wcB
    Thats actually a cool idea.
    Anyway you can send me a pic of what they look like?

thanks!

18. Member
    Just buy some 1" double edge sunbrella binding. It will last forever. Cut it to the length you want. If you go to thick, like seat belt material your lids will be harder to open and the thicker material will rip into the carpet.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

19. Member
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by datbasstho View Post
    Thats actually a cool idea.
    Anyway you can send me a pic of what they look like?

thanks!
    I just have the one now that goes lid to lid. It keeps them closed but the might bounce up with them like this. I had already re-installed the lids before I came up with the idea and I didn't have them positioned flush with the front. I'm going to see how this way works out and if I don't like it I'll drill out the lid rivets and re position the lids flush.

latch.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast