Thread: Speeds

Speeds

My boat is a new to me 185DC with 175 intruder and 24 Tempest. Been working with the guys in the Setup Forum to get it set up the way it should be.

What kind of speeds are you guys seeing in your boats loaded to fish with 2 people. Im trying to determine what to expect, and be satisfied with from my boat.

Im still working on getting mine dialed in, but I've seen anything from 58 to 64 depending on water condition and my ability to control the boat. I believe it would keep climbing some, but my driving skills arent refined. It feels like Im all over the place from 5200 on.

2. Member
    I had a LS175 with an evinrude intruder 175 hp on it. My boat weighed 400lbs than it should've. It took me about 4 years to learn how to drive it fast, but once I figured it out it was easy. On my speedo which was 1 mile off at 55 mph ( pretty sure it was off more than that the faster I went), I saw 72 twice, 65 was the norm. After trading my 10" plate for a 6" plate it lost about 10 mph.

3. Member
    A plate is my next step. But, Ive been told a 6" is what I need. After reading your post, I really don't know for sure.

4. Member
    The six did very good. The ten made the boat faster but it was also a lot harder to plane off. If you don't have a plate now you will love a 6". Oh yeah one other thing, a 6" will put a good bend in the steering cables, a 10" will put a severe bend in the steering cables.

5. Member
    Im pretty sure Im gonna get a Bob's 6. Ive already got hyd steering, so no worries there.

6. Member
    i would go with 10 now, so later on when you learn how to drive it you'll want more with the six lol and just guessing you could probably go up to a 25 also from what i have seen around here. but the guys here run 200 on there's same as the 180 bee's