Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I don't know if the price has come down but the market may have shrunk a little. My last two boats were 4 strokes and I wouldn't even look at a 2 stroke again.

2. Banned
    I guess we need a Circuit or Series that only allows 2 Strokes.
    Somebody get on that please.

I'd think older boats with 2 strokes would be depreciating less than newer boats with 4 strokes.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    While the Etec seems to be a great motor I think the future is 4-stroke. I just can't get over how fugly the G2 is. Looks like a re-tooled Chrysler outboard. All other 2-strokes I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't want them. The old carb 2-strokes sure are good at fogging skitters tho. The older efi and car 2-strokes are grossly outdated and can understand why a lot of people don't want them anymore. Even the Optipop is outdated.
    I'd be curious as to what percent of the boating/angling population has even seen a Chrysler outboard. You just dated yourself (and me). There is a boat on Smith Mountain Lake with a Chrysler motor, I need to take a photo and post it on BBC, looks ancient.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    While the Etec seems to be a great motor I think the future is 4-stroke. I just can't get over how fugly the G2 is. Looks like a re-tooled Chrysler outboard. All other 2-strokes I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't want them. The old carb 2-strokes sure are good at fogging skitters tho. The older efi and car 2-strokes are grossly outdated and can understand why a lot of people don't want them anymore. Even the Optipop is outdated.
    And you're enamored with the new 4 stroke Mercury V8? I thought that the G2 was ugly until I saw them.

6. Member
    I remember them being uglier than this.
    You could even order one through the Sears catalog.
    Gotta love short shorts!

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I'd be curious as to what percent of the boating/angling population has even seen a Chrysler outboard. You just dated yourself (and me). There is a boat on Smith Mountain Lake with a Chrysler motor, I need to take a photo and post it on BBC, looks ancient.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

7. Member
    Probably depends on the make. I don't see any discount on Strokers.

2 stroke equipped boats are more likely to sell faster than a 4 stroke to some. Just because one guy is a 4 stroke fan that doesnt mean the next guy would even entertain owning one.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Member
    Some are still hung up on the weight of 4 strokes.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

10. Member
    After putting 400 hours on my G1 Etec i will be purchasing another Etec if mine ever fails.

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    And you're enamored with the new 4 stroke Mercury V8? I thought that the G2 was ugly until I saw them.
    FO' SHO' !!! they do sound good at idle tho....my 03 250 Rude is still running strong and I won't part with it til she dies.....then I'll go with another 2 stroke...hopefully a G2.

12. Member
    I look at it like I do with trucks. They wont let us drive gas guzzlers much longer. I like my 2 stroke and it runs great. If it blows i would replace with a new Merc 4 stroke .

Quote Originally Posted by gabes1 View Post
    I am seeing the 2018 & 2019 Rangers with two strokes are being discounted.
    well I hope they are discounting them since those are 2-3 y/o boats.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    I just sold my Ranger 3 weeks ago here on BBC it was a 2005 (17 years old) for $33,000

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    well I hope they are discounting them since those are 2-3 y/o boats.

That's way too obvious!

16. #FRB
    I'll be 38 next month but have been around boats pretty much my whole life. Saw way more of the Chrysler Force than I did the actual Chrysler and those were mainly on Bayliners and similar cheap boats. Dad had an '89 Blue Fin Spectrum 1900 (bought new) that we skied behind and it had an 85 U.S. Marine Force. Was shaped different from the Chrysler but it looked like it was all Chrysler under the hood and had the same gear case design too with the exhaust where the steering torque tab should be. Was a reliable motor but it would not idle and you had to pull back out of cold start and SLAM it into gear. Lots of people learned to ski behind that boat and dad and the other guy that drove his boat a lot just got used to the "process". I actually kinda like the industrial look of the Chrysler outboards. It's for sure a throwback to when outboards were only somewhat reliable at best. The joke with Chrysler and Force was the farthest they made it from the ramp was about 200 yards. We ran the hell out of that boat for 11 years and dad wasn't that great at maintaining the motor. Never left us stranded though so he had one of the "good" ones.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 05-04-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

17. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    Well, they're growing on me already. And when one fires up you know exactly what it is without having to look. I also have an ugly newer mercury 4-stroke hanging on my boat but it isn't quite as wild as the brand new ones they have out now. First time I saw the new line of Mercs I couldn't wrap my brain around what I was looking at. Still not sure what to think about the G2 but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own one if it happened to be hanging on the next boat I buy and the price is right. Reliability means more to me than looks at the end of the day.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. Member
    I'm in my mid 50's and remember my dad having a Chrysler on our boat back in the early/mid 70's.

19. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I know where there's an old OMC Stinger 75 still powering a pontoon.
    Who controls John Gill?

20. Member
    The vast majority of the boats in my club are 18-19ft 2 strokes. Some of us upgraded this winter to 18-19 ft 4 strokes but we will still be outnumbered 3 to 1

The prices of 2 strokes (regardless of genre) around here are remaining pretty solid.
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast