Thread: Zxr performance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I have to believe the ride and performance is going to be the same as the FXRs. The specs that Skeeter publishes are identical between the FXR and ZXR. Layout and standard features/options appear to be the only differences to me. Some have said there are minor differences in the hull but that seems unlikely to me when all the specs are the same between the two.

2. Member
    The hulls do have some differences if you look at the pad and recess

3. Member
    how much different could the ride really be? Would like to ride in both. Those FXR 's are sweet.

4. Member
    Joined BBC recently to help with the ZXR discussion(s). Having been a Stratos (2 boats) and Triton (2 boats) owner over the past 20 years I just purchased a new ZXR20 in August. I was not happy with my previous boat and after riding in a friends ZX225 a number of times I pulled the trigger. 45 days into the purchase I'm very pleased with the boat in all respects including the ride in all conditions, performance and fishability of the boat, the different layout of the ZXR and really have nothing but rave reviews. Compared to the ZX the boat is much wider in the front deck and I found the ride was smoother and really felt more of a cushion in the ZXR across weather and wake board boat waves. This being my first Skeeter, and knowing that all boats drive differently, it did take a minute to learn to trim the boat at different speed and take off/slow down to keep a small hopping form happening... but after spending a short amount of seat time in the boat I no longer have any issues. I thoroughly enjoy driving the boat and my Phoenix and Triton owning friends have been honestly impressed with the boat. I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone might have on the boat.

5. Member
    SHM 64 Thank you for the input. I recently ordered the ZXR 21 delivery is 12-14 weeks at this time. Does the hull have much chine walking at higher speeds? Thank you.

6. Member
    Nothing alarming and what is there I've easily managed with the trim lever. I've not pushed it too hard and only pegged it a few short times, but at 6K RPMs (dash tach) with me, live well full, and 1/2 tank of fuel I got to 74.1mph (GPS). The water had a bit of wind chop and I truly could have taken both hands off the wheel once I reached 70 and only until I reached close to the top speed did it move a very little. I just bumped the trim down, lost a bit of speed (72+), and then could have easily taken both hands off the wheel. My previous boat at anything above 70 had a much larger chine. All in all... a very stable ride comparable to anything I've been in that would run 70+. To be completely transparent, the only issues I had to learn to manage was the hopping of the boat at slower speeds (3-4K RPMs) where too high of a trim would make it hop a bit until i obtained enough speed and then when slowing down with the same issue... too high of a trim level would make it hop slowing down. I've found that keeping the engine tucked until I'm well on pad and running above 4k RPMs and then trimming up is the optimum method (for me). When coming down off pad or slowing down to below 4k RPMs i also almost completely trim down before coming off the throttle. But again- it didn't take very long, only a couple of tries, to get the hopping completely solved. All my previous boats didn't have this issue for the way that I drive a boat. This is my first SHO and my previous two boats both had the 2-stroke PRO-xs. I think the Yamaha trim may move faster than the Mercury which may have helped the issues above? Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you. This is the first ZXR on our local waters and I've had a number of guys interested in the boat due to the price point, 250 rated 20 footer, and the Skeeter brand here I guess has a good reputation as does the dealer.

7. Member
    Go demo both before you make your decision. I have and own and FXR20, I could go on for days but from a high level amazing boat and amazing performance in all aspects. I went from a ZX225 to this and couldn’t have made a better decision. Only wish Skeeter would have created this beast sooner. They are both great boats and perform extremely well, I just opted for the FXR vs the ZXR due to layout and my fishing style. If you have a budget # stick to it and use that as your key variable. You can’t go wrong with either, rest assured both are amazing machines.

8. Member
    SHM64 thank you for the information.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHM64 View Post
    Nothing alarming and what is there I've easily managed with the trim lever. I've not pushed it too hard and only pegged it a few short times, but at 6K RPMs (dash tach) with me, live well full, and 1/2 tank of fuel I got to 74.1mph (GPS). The water had a bit of wind chop and I truly could have taken both hands off the wheel once I reached 70 and only until I reached close to the top speed did it move a very little. I just bumped the trim down, lost a bit of speed (72+), and then could have easily taken both hands off the wheel. My previous boat at anything above 70 had a much larger chine. All in all... a very stable ride comparable to anything I've been in that would run 70+. To be completely transparent, the only issues I had to learn to manage was the hopping of the boat at slower speeds (3-4K RPMs) where too high of a trim would make it hop a bit until i obtained enough speed and then when slowing down with the same issue... too high of a trim level would make it hop slowing down. I've found that keeping the engine tucked until I'm well on pad and running above 4k RPMs and then trimming up is the optimum method (for me). When coming down off pad or slowing down to below 4k RPMs i also almost completely trim down before coming off the throttle. But again- it didn't take very long, only a couple of tries, to get the hopping completely solved. All my previous boats didn't have this issue for the way that I drive a boat. This is my first SHO and my previous two boats both had the 2-stroke PRO-xs. I think the Yamaha trim may move faster than the Mercury which may have helped the issues above? Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you. This is the first ZXR on our local waters and I've had a number of guys interested in the boat due to the price point, 250 rated 20 footer, and the Skeeter brand here I guess has a good reputation as does the dealer.

I have had my 2021 ZXR20 for a few months. I've had 2014 ZX20 and 2015 ZX250, both of those rode higher in the front at speed. With my jack plate, my dealer said to run it around 8 at speed.....way too low. I am now (after 5 or 6 times out with it) very comfy with the ZXR20, but wasnt at 1st. Now I'm at 14 or 15 on JP and can trim almost all the way up (72 ish loaded). At cruising speed, it does like to have the motor pretty well tucked down, but just compared to my other Skeeter hulls (have been driving 110mph STVs and Allisons too). Also, when trimmed up, JP at 14 and going 70 plus, this boat rides much flatter, or more level....my others rode nose high, not this one.

LSS, it took some time with this one, and the others it didnt. I love the JP for shallow starts and fine tuning.

I do want to add the passenger counsel and a 2nd PP. Great boat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12