Thread: Jig Fishing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Great advice right here. Everl lake will have a color that gets bit better. i throw black/blue with a black/blue trailer in lowlight or dirty water & a sapphire blue traile in bright moonlight, cumberland craw or badboy craw when the black/blue's not getting bit & that's pretty much all i use with the exception of a couple colors of hair jigs when i'm throwing them.
    Thanks. So more input on color for me. Ever wonder why some craws turn bright red? It is caused by the Vitamin A they get when they are feeding where they ingest plant material. So, if you are a potomac river fisherman, you see lots of red craw bits up on docks that have been dropped by the gulls. So, yea, I throw red in october. If I am fishing around primarily rock on a lake I fish alot (Lake Anna), I will throw a skirt that has contrast (I make my own skirts), some blue, some green, some white, couple red and black strands, or maybe one with orange (rem: If I am fishing deeper, the more green pumpkin I want as it retains its color to bass who only have a Red and Green cones, so they have dichromatic eyes). They don't really see "blue". They see contrast. For deeper presentations, I like the zoom 420 color as it is darker than the watermelon red. I will then add a bit of dye to the tail to give yet a bit more contrast, which is what a crawfish is like in real life (I also have a crawfish trap, and a poster from the various DNRs with the native crawfish species and colors so I know what colors to bounce around with. Early spring for example, I want alot of brown in the craw. Its a simple bait, but you can really customize them and I guess that fits my personality.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-C View Post
    Start with a jewel finesse jig and work your way up. You will get a ton of bites and some damn good ones on that finesse jig.
    I fully agree with this! The Jewel finesse are great little jigs. Throw it into the same places you are throwing a t-rig worm/creature (blow downs, brush piles, docks, rocks, etc.) Assuming you are fishing relatively clean water in NC stick with green pumpkin/brown colors for jig and trailer. If water is dirtier go with the black/blue or black with GP trailer. Fish it like a t-rig......with confidence!

I will I’ll say that personally I love jigs in fall, winter, and spring. As the water warms into summer I prefer soft plastics, but jigs certainly still work.

Quote Originally Posted by autigerbass View Post
    I fully agree with this! The Jewel finesse are great little jigs. Throw it into the same places you are throwing a t-rig worm/creature (blow downs, brush piles, docks, rocks, etc.) Assuming you are fishing relatively clean water in NC stick with green pumpkin/brown colors for jig and trailer. If water is dirtier go with the black/blue or black with GP trailer. Fish it like a t-rig......with confidence!

I will I’ll say that personally I love jigs in fall, winter, and spring. As the water warms into summer I prefer soft plastics, but jigs certainly still work.
    That’s when the ¾ and 1 ounce football jigs with a hula grub come out.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    That’s when the ¾ and 1 ounce football jigs with a hula grub come out.
    Exactly. I always have a 1 oz. football hula grub and c-rig tied on in Summer. Funny how some days they'll hammer one without touching other.

When I decide to try something new (to me), I go someplace where I know I can get lots of bites. It doesn't matter if the fish are small. It's the confidence that you need, so just go get all the bites you can manage.

I've read that fish don't hold onto jigs as long as soft plastics, so you'll need to set the hook quicker. Other than that, the bites can feel much the same...which as you probably know, varies from "no feel" to "tear the rod out of your hand"! That's why confidence is so important, I guess. Don't be afraid to use your favorite scent on a jig...they are a natural sponge for scent, and getting the fish to hang on a second longer can help you a lot as you get confidence. Did I mention that you need to get confidence with the jig?
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12