Thread: Smith Mtn Lake

Question Smith Mtn Lake

went to smith mtn this past weekend for the first time in 19 years. the lake really kicked my rear end. fished pretty much all day Saturday until 930 that night and managed to catch 1 largemouth. cold weather Friday then blue bird skies Saturday and tons of boat and jet ski traffic. I covered a lot of water but no luck. where is a good place to start on this lake. really enjoyed the area but for future reference I appreciate any info. thanks

Lol welcome to Smith Mountain Lake. That lake will humble you really quick, especially when a front comes in. I haven't been down there since late March, but from what I hear the spawn has been very weird this year with the inconsistent weather (very warm March, and rather cool April). Finesse baits around docks in the backs of creeks & pockets are hard to beat right now. I know the shad are spawning so you could probably get on that pattern if the weather allows.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    I haven't fished it in a few years since I moved but always had good luck up the blackwater side when the weather turns.

4. Member
    I like fishing upper lake in the river. Lake Anna was the same, lots of boats and jet skis...

5. Member
    I went Saturday Sunday and today. I fish it 2/3 times a year and this was the first trip of the year. Saturday I managed 12 or so but flat out zeroed today and only 1 small one Sunday. Pleasure traffic is insane right now, I’ve fished the Great Lakes and never bounced a motor loose until yesterday. Jack plate dropped over an inch on me running from the dam back to Halesford bridge. Found water from 59-66 and only one spawning fish. Most of the lake was too stained to see though. The fish I did catch were just on a wacky rig and tiny flipping bait. I through the kitchen sink at them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    I went Saturday Sunday and today. I fish it 2/3 times a year and this was the first trip of the year. Saturday I managed 12 or so but flat out zeroed today and only 1 small one Sunday. Pleasure traffic is insane right now, I’ve fished the Great Lakes and never bounced a motor loose until yesterday. Jack plate dropped over an inch on me running from the dam back to Halesford bridge. Found water from 59-66 and only one spawning fish. Most of the lake was too stained to see though. The fish I did catch were just on a wacky rig and tiny flipping bait. I through the kitchen sink at them too.
    i managed 1 all day saturday in front of jakes place on a jig in a tree top. would have loved to fish the main lake some but that was out of the question. i throw a wacky rig senko alot saturday and caught 4 bluegill

7. Banned
    Boat traffic was ridiculous Sunday! I did see a pontoon boat with twin 400R's slicing through the boat traffic wakes like a hot knife through butter at an easy 60 mph+. That was impressive!

8. Member
    I read on the Potomac last weekend was awful under the Potomac forum.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    SML fish are just stupid finicky and moody. It is easy to get skunked and then the next day whack them. Weather and current from AEP can really make a difference but it seems like a pattern never lasts more than a few days until the fish change their mind and want something else. I live on the upper end of the lake so I seldom fish below the Rt. 122 bridge and have had a very mixed spring but on a recent Sunday morning I caught 11 with the five best being over 15 lb. easy. This past Saturday evening I caught a 6.20 largemouth but only caught three from 7 pm until 2 AM and all were caught before dark. Typical SML as I went out Monday evening before dark and didn't get so much as a sniff - wind was from the east, never good.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    went to smith mtn this past weekend for the first time in 19 years. the lake really kicked my rear end. fished pretty much all day Saturday until 930 that night and managed to catch 1 largemouth. cold weather Friday then blue bird skies Saturday and tons of boat and jet ski traffic. I covered a lot of water but no luck. where is a good place to start on this lake. really enjoyed the area but for future reference I appreciate any info. thanks
    I checked my fishing log and I fished the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th and caught a total of 4 bass (two were over 4 lbs.) so that was a tough stretch. Note that each "day" I fished was for 2-3 hours.
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I checked my fishing log and I fished the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th and caught a total of 4 bass (two were over 4 lbs.) so that was a tough stretch. Note that each "day" I fished was for 2-3 hours.
    yes it was a tough stretch. on Friday north wind temps in the 50s. Saturday is was 85 and sunny with bluebird skies. great lake and I will return hopefully with better results

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    This past Saturday evening I caught a 6.20 largemouth
    WOW!! 6.20 lbs. is a beauty for sure, bet you could have taken some $$ in a club tournament with that one.

See you in a couple weeks.

Lake is certainly trashed now! Will be a mess for at least a week, probably two.

More rain in the forecast, many sad faces.

15. Member
    Any updates on how its fishing these days?

I've been fishing most weekday evenings this week from 7-9 pm, I'm just not into night fishing although that is probably the best approach. I have enough time for a couple of spots, maybe 3 or 4 and get 2-4 bites before dark. No beasts but oddly about 50% of the fish I've caught have been smallmouths and that surprises me in water over 80F. All my fish have been on a DT10 except for a nice brown fish Thursday evening on a Sammy in shallow water. I could tell that there were some shad and the water looked "nervous". One twitch and the fish exploded on it, pretty fun. Otherwise its been the DT10 on or near a point or channel swing.