Grinding washer behind prop

Can I grind down the washer between the hub and castle nut? I can not get it sucked down far enough to get the cotter pin in. 2006 HPDI 250 HP with a 24 Tempest plus and flo torq 2 hub kit.

Thanks!

If you have the right thrust washer for your prop/motor, The aft washer should work fine.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Interesting. I bought the hub kit 835271Q2. The thrust washer seems correct. The taper fits on the shaft well. I lack like 1-2mm from getting the cotter key into the hole. I can see 2/3-3/4 of the hole. I know I've put over the 41 ft-lbs on it though. Not sure if I can stretch the threads but it feels like I'm getting dangerous.

Are you using a forward bushing?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    I used everthing in the kit... thrust washer, plastic hub, splined insert, washer, nut...

It seems really close but something isn't quite right.

All that to say, i don't think im using a forward bushing?

6. Member
    The instructions in the Mercury Flo-Torq hub kit say that the rear washer is optional to get the hole and cotter pin to line up.

7. Member
    This would be easier if I could read....

I got one of these washers from my local Mercury dealer. https://www.mertenmarine.com/thumbna...axx=300&maxy=0
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

9. Member
    I understand that hub requires 100lb torque. I have same set up on my Sho and at 100 lb, no problem. Sometimes need to torque just a litte extra to allo complete access to cotter pin hole.

10. Member
    I understand that hub requires 100lb torque. I have same set up on my Sho and at 100 lb, no problem. Sometimes need to torque just a litte extra to allo complete access to cotter pin hole.

11. Member
    I ran into the same issue when installing a Tempest on my HPDI. The castle nut that came in the hub kit wouldn't work. The slots in it weren't quite deep enough. I ended up using the one that was on it before (with the Yamaha prop) and it worked. To the naked eye, they looked the same, but the slots in the original nut were a tad deeper.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    I ran into the same issue when installing a Tempest on my HPDI. The castle nut that came in the hub kit wouldn't work. The slots in it weren't quite deep enough. I ended up using the one that was on it before (with the Yamaha prop) and it worked. To the naked eye, they looked the same, but the slots in the original nut were a tad deeper.
    Had the same problem on my Vmax. The Merc wash is thicker but I believe the instructions say to use washers as needed. They are really just spacers on that end of the hub anyway. I used a washer out of one of my Yamaha kits and have no problems.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

13. Member
    Are you guys sure about the 100# Torque. I just put a new prop and Merc hub kit on a VZ225 and the instructions I got said 55#, so that is what I have it torqued at right now.

I had the same problem with the cotter pin but I went back and used the old prop nut and the castellated slots were deeper so I was able to get the cotter pin in.

Wayne

14. Member
    I just put a Tempest Plus on my 2005 Vmax 250 HPDI last night. The Yamaha thrust washer has to be removed. It took about 40 min to get that thing off. Once I got it off, the Merc hub kit worked perfect with space for the cotter pin.
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

15. Member
    With a Merc prop and hub kit, the cotter pin is not used. You use the Yamaha prop nut and the Merc washer that has the bendable tabs. The tabs on the washer hold the nut on. Merc prop is only torqued to 55 ft lbs. The Yamaha SHO prop is 100.