Cost to get motor history prit

Serial number 1b463701
    model number 1250p83hd
    I went out fishing for the first time this year and the motor ran great. Set up and trolled for 3 hrs and started big motor up and went to run to a new spot and I couldn’t get it over 1800rpms. It would go into guardian mode and a solid beep would sound. When I backed it off the buzzer would go away. Long story short got it back to the ramp going 7mph and did some reading. I changed the thermostats, impeller, and poppet valve and went back out and tried it again. Still does the same thing. Water coming out pee hole good. All the marine shops here in Michigan are closed do to the Coronavirus till the end of May. I did find one guy that would hook it up to his computer and tell me the codes but he is kind of a shady guy. What should it cost to have the guy get me a print out? Also any other things that I should be looking into? I read on here it could be the throttle position sensor or the neutral safety switch.

I wouldn’t replace any more parts without getting the computer diagnostics printouts.

How shady is the guy with the computer software? If you were closer, I could do it. Some might think I’m shady too!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    i would check with don and see what the price of a mercury vesselview it should tell you,around $230.00 i think,then you read it anytime

4. Member
    disconnect the shift switch and try it , pcm will think its in gear and alow for full throttle operation =bad shift switch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I did try that and it did rev up so maybe that’s what it is. I think I seen the switch is 240 so what to make sure

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Shift switch shouldn't be that expensive- and like Joe said, if unhooking it let's you achieve WOT in forward gear, the switch was bad (or sticking).

NOTE: It may be difficult to get the engine out of gear, especially if you have a higher-pitch propeller. Use caution around any objects or people- and get this addressed before continuing to run the boat (other than a quick, one-time test with extreme caution).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Mechanic finally got my motor in and said the alarm was caused by overheating. He said there is exhaust getting into the cooling system. He changed a gasket that thought was the problem and it didn’t fix it. He is now gonna pull the heads off and change them two. If it’s not that he said it could be a cracked block. Any one ever come across this problem? I trust the guy working on it just hope I don’t need a whole new motor

Did you try what Joe recommended an what were the results
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    New Water Pump?
    Compressor Strainer removed and cleaned?

Quote Originally Posted by scottystanke View Post
    Mechanic finally got my motor in and said the alarm was caused by overheating. He said there is exhaust getting into the cooling system. He changed a gasket that thought was the problem and it didn’t fix it. He is now gonna pull the heads off and change them two. If it’s not that he said it could be a cracked block. Any one ever come across this problem? I trust the guy working on it just hope I don’t need a whole new motor
    How did he come to this conclusion, seems questionable to me, though possible
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Did you try what Joe recommended an what were the results
    Joe's recommendation is good, but it wont solve an "overheating" condition.

12. Member
    Yes new water pump, new popit valve, new thermostats, strained cleaned. Motor has 480hrs on it.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wouldn't surprise me to hear that there is an adapter plate gasket leak (which will result in exhaust in the cooling system... evidenced by black sooty-colored poppet spring and/or thermostats, as well as several other symptoms).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me to hear that there is an adapter plate gasket leak (which will result in exhaust in the cooling system... evidenced by black sooty-colored poppet spring and/or thermostats, as well as several other symptoms).
    That has already been changed and it still was overheating

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What is the part number of the gasket that he replaced (VERY important question)?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What is the part number of the gasket that he replaced (VERY important question)?
    Don I do not know the answer to that. The boat is at a certified mercury dealer. The service manager is the only one working right now with all the covid stuff going on up here. He is swamped and I’m trying not to call him all the time. You think he put the wrong one in?

17. Member
    Don I do not know the answer to that. The boat is at a certified mercury dealer. The service manager is the only one working right now with all the covid stuff going on up here. He is swamped and I’m trying not to call him all the time. You think he put the wrong one in?
    So update on my motor. He found a crack in the top of the block. So I will be needing a new block. My question is what cause this?? I want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. It does have 480 hours on it.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Where is this crack? And I'm curious what the crack has to do with exhaust getting into the water supply....