Manual or hydraulic Jackplate

I’m having trouble deciding if I want to put a hydraulic or manual jackplate on my boat. I mainly want them to have something to mount my power poles I plan on buying later. I’ve never had one so I don’t know what to expect. Is there a manual jackplate that’s easy to adjust without having to use a engine hoist to take some of the weight off the jackplate in order to adjust it? Is there one out there that once it’s mounted I can just mount my power poles without having to remove bolts from the side to do it? I obviously know nothing about them.

2. Member
    If you can afford hydraulic then it’s a no brainer. I have a Bobs on my stratos and can’t imagine having a boat without one now.

3. Member
    Here's here experience with manual plates. If they have a bolt in the center to raise and lower they are kinda hard to adjust. If they have a bolt on each side they are a whole lot easier to adjust. I've never used the one with the sideways bolt that has the cable wrapped around it so I can't comment on it.

4. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    The ones with the long bolt in the middle are super easy to adjust or at least the Slidemaster is. Just loosen the bolts on the side and turn the bolt in the middle with a ratchet. When I had my Slidemaster on the Charger I had for my first boat I could make an adjustment in only a couple of minutes tops. Can also adjust it on the water easily as long as you don't drop the wrench in the water. With hydraulic they're pretty reliable but if you are just going to set it and forget it I wouldn't bother because they're expensive. I've had both by the way and wouldn't care either way which one I had even if price wasn't a factor.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

I’ve had the CMC Powerlift and it was great. The name’s a little misleading as it’s actually a manual jack plate with the long center bolt in the middle for adjustments. As was already mentioned you just loosen the four side bolts (2 on each side) and then use a ratchet on the long center bolt to move the engine up or down as needed.

6. Member
    The only advantage I've ever found with hydraulic is the ability to lower the motor in really rough water, or raise it if you tend to idle a long way in shallow water. I have been in a boat when the hydraulic unit breaks, of course it broke in the up position and we had a long run back...getting a boat on plane with the backplate all the way up can be an adventure LOL.

I've normally just got the manual jack plate. Slidemaster type design is pretty easy to raise and lower. Just make sure you mark where you start, and I normally hop up on the anti cavitation plate a couple times to help ensure one side didn't stick before I lock it back down. I did not put a jack plate on the RT188...it is what it is.

Always had a hydraulic jack plate. Never have seen one break. I have had Bob's and Atlas - both are solid units. Bob's is faster. I think a manual plate is useless except for the setup it provides.

8. Member
    How long do you think it would take to have someone install the jack plate? I can do all the wiring myself.

9. Member
    Hydraulic is pretty useless and a waste of money in my opinion other than ease of initial setup. I have one on my Ranger and never move it. I have a manual on my Tacker. Once you find your optimum height, there is no reason to touch it. I have played with the plate for years and never had an advantage of moving it from its optimal setting.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)

10. Member
    A hydraulic plate is just like power tilt and trim. No you don't need it, yes you can operate your boat without it, but....if you want to go faster it's a nice addition, if you fish a lot of shallow water it's nice to have. If you have the money to spend and the time to learn how to use it, get one.
    There have been quite a few times while running around 85 that I wished I had a hydraulic plate. Raise it up just a tad and maybe hit 90. Pretty sure that when I take my jon boat to Florida this year I'll wish it had a hydraulic plate for the shallow water.

11. Member
    Is there a manual jack plate out there once mounted it’s easy to mount the power pole brackets right to the side? Like I don’t need to take the weight of the motor off the jack plate in order to remove a couple bolts on the side to mount the power poles?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    Is there a manual jack plate out there once mounted it’s easy to mount the power pole brackets right to the side? Like I don’t need to take the weight of the motor off the jack plate in order to remove a couple bolts on the side to mount the power poles?
    YouTube is your friend... there are several videos on attaching a Powerpole/Talon to a jack plate.

13. Member
    Yes, PP offers plate mounted brackets. That's how both my poles are mounted.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps

14. Member
    Will the TH Marine Z lock 6” jack plate be able to accommodate power pole brackets? Is that the smallest setback minimum that will allow the brackets to be installed?

15. Member
    I'll bite. Had JP on a couple of boats. After much experimentation, propellers, and a lot of time, I decided 2mph and squirrely behavior wasn't worth it. JP have their place on heavy tournament boats and XPRESS tin. I ended up with a Spitfire 19" and raised it to the 3rd hole. Ranger runs and turns like a dream.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

16. Member
    2mph and squirrely? That must have been on an alum. Ranger? What boat does the OP have in case I missed it? I assure you it is a big improvement on a better designed hull.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps

17. Member
    I think I’m gonna settle on getting the th marine z lock jackplate. Really just want it to mount my power poles to eventually. I’m thinking of getting the 6” setback. Do you think that would be fine for my Lund renegade? Also what hardware and sizing should I buy to mount the jackplate to the boat and motor to jackplate? I hear stainless bolts/washers and brass bolts in fine thread but what’s readily available at Lowe’s or Home Depot that I can buy off the shelf that you recommend?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocoupe View Post
    2mph and squirrely? That must have been on an alum. Ranger? What boat does the OP have in case I missed it? I assure you it is a big improvement on a better designed hull.
    It was a 2014 Lowe Stinger 18HP, with a pad hull out of the old Triton design. As far as my RT, I would never consider putting a JP on a mod-vee hull because it has no lifting surface.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

19. Member
    I think I’m going to settle on a manual jackplate. Is there a big difference if I get a 4” or 6”? I’m mainly just getting it to mount my power poles to so I don’t void my warranty and maybe possibly improve top end speed a little?

20. Member
    Still having trouble trouble deciding. I’m leaning towards the hydraulic now. What are you guys running? A 4” or 6” hydraulic?