Thread: Vent plugs

Vent plugs

Put in solid vent plugs in a Tempest Plus on a Yamaha F150 4 stroke?

Does it rev too high on planing? If so and you have the small hole plugs in it then yes, install solid plugs

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Does it rev too high on planing? If so and you have the small hole plugs in it then yes, install solid plugs
    I don’t have the prop here yet to try just trying to plan ahead before it arrives and I throw it on and head to the water. I just saw a video in another thread with a guy recommending solid plugs when running on a 4 stroke. I’ll go get some plugs!

If youre going to be testing many props get a bag of each- solid, small, med, and large. Every boat/combo is different- nobody can tell you what plugs youll need

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

5. Member
    If youre going to be testing many props get a bag of each- solid, small, med, and large. Every boat/combo is different- nobody can tell you what plugs youll need
    That’s a great idea will do thanks

And some folks just have big bags of solid plugs and a drill. Way faster than swapping out plugs while trying to get it dialed in

7. Member
    And some folks just have big bags of solid plugs and a drill. Way faster than swapping out plugs while trying to get it dialed in
    I really like that idea. Would you say start with like a 1/4 inch hole in a plug and go from there?

If you need it yes. One 1/4” then go 1/4” in the next plug if you need more venting rpms, etc

9. Member
    Personally, I like Solids ......... and a cordless DeWalt and a few drill bits.

Start with Solids ........ run it ...... if she doesn't like it, take the drill bits and put 'small' holes in the center ..... run it, repeat as needed.

I always said I would pop the drilled ones out and put the 'actual hole size in', but I never do and I just run them as is.

I've always liked this method b/c you don't have to remove the prop. You just pull up somewhere (lake shore, boat ramp, put it not he trailer, etc), bump the holes bigger, and rock on.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

^exactly