Banned

Battery Charger install

I would like to ,if possible to install my 2 bank MinnKota battery charger under the passenger seat compartment , and somehow get the wires to batteries(2- group 27) . Seems like there will be some removal of the foam to do this . Has anyone done this ?
    (Tracker 175 2001)
    Thanks in advance .

2. Member
    I just moved mine from the back battery compartment under the passenger seat. I was able to route the cables through the middle trough (don't know what is officially called, but trough is good for me :) ). Not sure about the Tracker 175, but on mine (190TX) there is an access cover under the middle seat that gives access to the center trough. I mounted my charger to the access cover as well.

3. Member
    I put mine under the middle seat and ran wires thru the "trap door". Clean and easy. I did give up some good storage space so may change location at some point
    20200503_155422[1].jpg
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS Optimax
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console
    Texas Highschool Bass Association (THSBA)
    "Always go with your gut, it will never fail you..."

4. Banned
    Thanks for the good info . Will have to look around a little more ,....before I start cutting boat apart ,maybe "make' a trap door.

5. Member
    I replaced the two bank charger that came on my 2017 PT190 with a 3 bank charger. The original 2 bank was under the center seat. Before removing the original charger I tied a cord to the charger wire(s) in the battery compartment so when it was removed I had a messenger cord to tie to the new 3 bank charger wiring. Without this messenger it would have been very difficult to route the new wiring back to the battery compartment. Using the messenger cord made the job much easier. I left the cord in place in the event I need to run any more wiring through this path. Things are very tight back there and it is a bit of a PITA but it just takes a little time.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassin View Post
    I put mine under the middle seat and ran wires thru the "trap door". Clean and easy. I did give up some good storage space so may change location at some point
    20200503_155422[1].jpg
    Well, I decided that this week was the week to get that space back! I relocated the charger to above the gas tank. Here's what the trap door looks like and the space underneath it. The black tape was just to cover up the screw holes and cut out where the wires went through.
    trap door.jpg Trap door removed.jpgInside Trap Door - Facing Engine.jpgCloser view.jpgEven closer view.jpg
    You can see how easy it would be to run the cables under the live well.
    20200508_112827[1].jpg
    New location
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS Optimax
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console
    Texas Highschool Bass Association (THSBA)
    "Always go with your gut, it will never fail you..."

7. Member
    How did you secure it?

8. Banned
    My MinnKota 2 Bank charger is too big to put it back there . Not enough room height wise,need a thinner or one lower in height to be able to close the compartment hatch .
    Thinking or looking at a NOCO Genius 2 bank.

9. Banned
    Correction : My charger WILL fit .Might try to mount it on something so it will not wear the top of gas tank,then try some of that 3M auto body panel/trim tape to keep it in place.

I had a 2008 model and it had the factory charger mounted on the transom in the battery compartment behind the batteries. I later put a dual pro sportsman charger there. Was it a bitch to install there. Yes it was. But its out of the way and much easier to plug in vs under the seat. I never understood why they started putting them there. Gotta crawl in the boat to plug it in.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    I installed a Dual Pro 15 Amp Professional Series 3 Bank Charger in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat and ran the wires through the drain hole in the compartment. Easy to get to and plug in when charging.
    2007 Bass Tracker 190 TX
    20006 Mercury 90 Optimax
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    6" CMC Manual Jack Plate
    21" Trophy Plus Prop
    Minn Kota 80 lb Maxxum
    Humminbird 898c SI and 998c SI at Console
    Humminbird 998c SI and 1199ci HD SI at bow
    Humminbird 360 at bow
    Ethernet Linked with 5 Port Hub

Installed Ionic 4 bank lithium charger under center seat and it was so easy even a caveman could do it. Also installed 3 lithium batteries from Amped Outdoors, also caveman easy job...lol.

13. Banned
    Going to put it in rear compartment . Do not have drain holes in storage boxes in my boat .

14. #FRB
    Next time I get new batteries I'll probably relocate my charger to under the passenger seat. Hard to keep tabs on the charger status when you have to stick your head in the bilge just to see the lights on the charger.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

15. Banned
    I found some super strong Velcro ,for outdoor use. I placed 2 strips on top of tank ,2 strips to charger bottom .Holding up , Not going anywhere !

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Next time I get new batteries I'll probably relocate my charger to under the passenger seat. Hard to keep tabs on the charger status when you have to stick your head in the bilge just to see the lights on the charger.
    We used a mechanics mirror. Could see the indicator bars perfectly.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    We used a mechanics mirror. Could see the indicator bars perfectly.
    Good idea. Think I still have one somewhere around here...Hope I don't have to replace the onboard charger for a LONG time because my body can't contort that well. Might see about completely removing the lid to the bilge next time. The lid to the tired old BassCat I used to have came off easy for that kind of stuff and it was really nice where you just had to lay on the back deck and do your thing then when done put the lid back on...same concept as a 4-wheeler trailer where you slide the back gate to one side a little and it comes off.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. Banned
    Took out the Minn Kota charger. Bought a Guest 2 bank charger . Thinner and lighter in weight. Mounted it to flip up cover at the batteries.Had to make a bracket to mount it . Just did not feel comfortable with charger sitting on top of tank.

19. Member
    I have a 2000 185, I put my 3 bank Minn Kota have tucked under the drivers seat and half in the passenger storage, there's a cableway behind the drivers seat o mine that's leads to the bilge.

20. Banned
    Were the charger leads long enough to reach the batteries/ Or did you add extra to charger cables ? . I am a metal fabricator , so it was relative easy for me to make something to mount new charger .