Thread: Flat Top Grills

Flat Top Grills

I currently have a Weber gas grill and it is time for a new one. My son mentioned getting a flat top grill since he thought it would be more versatile. Anyone have a flat top grill? How does it do with steaks, seafood etc.? My big concern is I am in South Florida where it is humid most of the year and was worried about the cooking surface rusting. I was also concerned that it would be a pain to clean up. I was looking at some of the Blackstone grills.

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Have a Blackstone 36” and love it. If the top is seasoned properly clean up is easy and no rust. I also have a Weber gas grill. Both have their place.

If you use it, it wont have time to rust. i have a 17" in the RV and a 36" at the house. and i love them both.

4. Member
    Do you just scrape it off to clean it? Also does using Teryaki or soy sauce hurt the cooktop? I have has a cast iron griddle I have used in my grill and it didn’t last long but these may have a different type of surface?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I would say a flat top is more versatile, but having a grill AND a flat top is great.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

When I'm done i turn the heat on high , when water boils on the surface i scrape the top clean it then wipe it down and when cool i spray it with pam then cover it till next time.

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and it definitly sounds like getting it properly seasoned is key. Is there any difference in getting a tepanyaki type grill with a stainless steel surface vs a Blackstone or similar type grill?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Have a Blackstone 36” and love it. If the top is seasoned properly clean up is easy and no rust. I also have a Weber gas grill. Both have their place.
    This, but I have the 22" vice the 36".