From Indiana to Kentucky

Are people getting ticketed for fishing in Kentucky if they are from out of state, I heard rumors? If so does anyone know when this ban will be lifted?

2. Member
    Not really an answer to your question, but here's my recent experience. I live full time in Indiana, but own a home at Barkley. When the original In. EO was extended I decided to head to my lake house, since there were plenty of projects there that needed done. I did all of my shopping ahead of the trip and did not leave my property for the first 2 weeks(per the Ky guidelines) . I did finally hit the lake on 4/28 and 4/30, putting in at mineral mounds both days. I did not get checked, not did I see any officers of any kind checking or patrolling. I was the only out of state vehicle at the ramp both days. I passed by several other ramps while fishing and saw no sign of patrols or checkpoints at any of them. I know that Barkley and Ky Lake are not the best examples, since I've fished then for over 20 years and have never once been checked for license, lifejackets, etc; and rarely see any law enforcement on the water.

3. Member
    As I understand it, I was required to quarantine 14 days, which I did (16 actually), I followed all the rules.

4. Banned
    Well if it's true I'm heading to Kentucky... I'll beg to be ticketed so I can win a prize larger than the lottery and I won't even have to buy a ticket... These Executive Orders are unconstitutional and can only be enforced IF the general public choose to follow them... Dan

I am not going to post my opinion or say whether I agree or disagree with the decision regarding fishing in KY based on what the Governor and/or KDFW has said. I will contain all of my reply to pure fact I have seen personally in the last 6-7 weeks...

My work schedule has been effected zero buy COVID 19. For the last few years I have took 100 hours vacation in late March/early April. This year has been no different. In that time I have been to Green many trips and Cumberland four times. When the restrictions stated coming in mid March I had just started my vacation. My first 4 trips were to Cumberland. Two out of Halcombs Landing at the dam and two out of the old Alligator ramp in Wolf. The four trips I had to Cumberland I saw what looked like a normal amount of boats given the time of year and the conditions the water was in. Then around late March I started hitting Green pretty hard. When the water was high I used the Butler Creek/Mt. Caramel ramp and after it got down some I started using the Holmes Bend ramp. For those not familiar with Butler/Mt. Caramel ramp it is a small ramp that is not a corps of engineers ramp. It was poured by the Adair County road department and the picnic area was built by the Adair County road department. The area is small with limited parking. Technically its a "county" ramp not a COE ramp. On one occasion it was so full people were driving 150 yards up the road and parking at the picnic pavilion at the bottom of the hill. Of all my trips to Holmes Bend 50% of the time it was so full people were parking in the third parking lot. For those not familiar with the parking at Holmes Bend you can get about 20-25 in a row so two rows to a lot = 40-50 boats and two lots full and starting to use the third lot means there is more than likely 100 boats parked at that ramp.

I estimate I have been on the water 15-20 or so times in the last 6 weeks. Once May gets here I slow down to one day a week. In the last six weeks I have been paying attending to vehicles in the parking lot with out of state tags. I have seen plates from TN, IN and OH. I have also been paying attention to see if there is any patrolmen on the lake water or patrolmen in the parking areas. I have seen zero KDFW/Game Warden, Water Patrol, State Police, County Sheriff, Constable, Corps of Engineer or anyone that might be patrolling the area to check for social distancing or out of state visitors...again I never said I agree or disagree with anything regarding the restrictions I am simply stating what I have personally seen.
    Last edited by JR19; 05-03-2020 at 09:26 PM.

I made this reply in a separate post because I wanted to contain all of my above comments to fact I have seen with my personal eye. In this thread I will talk about what I have heard or read on the internet and maybe inject a little opinion...and that is no one has been arrested, confronted or self quarantined because they were from out of state and fish in KY. I can't even name one person who knows a person or even heard of a story where someone had repercussions because they were from out of sate and fished in KY. It's like the announcement of a restriction was made and the people who made the announcement thought the public would self oblige and police themselves...This is not happening.

I also have a contact rip (Rude196) whom I have had many conversations with over the last few weeks and he is seeing the same thing at Barren and Dale Hollow that I saw at Green and Cumberland. To me personally it does not make sense to announce restrictions and then have no enforcement or repercussion for not following the restrictions. Now I never said if I agree or disagree with the announcement of restrictions because that is a whole different topic. My point is why have a restriction if its not going to be enforced. Does anyone here know of anyone who got checked for being out of state or anyone who was told to self quarantine or leave because they were out of state. If so I would like to hear the story.

7. Member
    A lot of states and businesses are having a cash flow problem now and there is a lot of tourism dollars traded between OH and KY. Any state that does not want non residents fishing should quit selling the licenses but they want the money therefore should honor that for the fisherman that bought it as long as social distancing is used. If any state goes after boaters I think it would be a crowded pontoon boat because we all know three is a crowd in a bass boat.

8. Member
    I live in indiana and work in ky everyday still. Since all this happened i have fished dale, cland, ky lake, rough river and green. I have not been stopped or ticketed at all. Just go fish and be smart about it.

9. Member
    We fished Cumberland this past weekend, we had 10 guys from Indiana that were staying next to us, they were striper fishing with guides, 5 to a boat. Coming in and going home , I was looking at plates on the highway, I saw people from all over the country as it should be, which IMO, this whole thing has been a farce, and the people have been duped when you look at the numbers compared to other outbreaks we deal with YOY.

Quote Originally Posted by Esnow76 View Post
    Puddle Humper just convinced me to go to Barren, thanks for helping make my mind up, dude
    Good luck, I’ve been fishing Nolin more this spring with the high water levels on Barren. With how crazy Moutardier ramp was last Saturday I’ll be heading back to Barren. It wouldn’t have been near as bad if all the pleasure boaters would load up everything before being backed into the water.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOKY 400SE View Post
    Good luck, I’ve been fishing Nolin more this spring with the high water levels on Barren. With how crazy Moutardier ramp was last Saturday I’ll be heading back to Barren. It wouldn’t have been near as bad if all the pleasure boaters would load up everything before being backed into the water.
    Man! I was there too. I'd never believed it if I hadn't seen it for my own eyes. So many people struggling to get on the trailer and off the trailer. LOL you know where they come from right?:)

12. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle Hopper View Post
    Come on down. You wont be the only idiot here. Stupid starts up north and flows down stream till it gets here. LMFAO! He so mad:)
    Alright boss. You can disagree and discuss all you want but the name calling ain't gonna cut it here. Just because you disagree or live in a different area doesn't make someone an idiot.

Fact is he corrected what you heard with facts. Gene also did a very good job of explaining as well that as much as it has been discouraged enforcement has not been a priority.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle Hopper View Post
    Boy you guys are sensitive. Just all in your feelings ain't ya? Lol they just mad cause I said they should stay home like what we were recommended to do. Got all butt hurt and wanted to argue. I get a kick out of it
    You might not want to poke a moderator... just some friendly advise..

14. Member
    My thoughts exactly!
    Vic
    Preparedness plus Opportunity = Luck

15. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Alrighty gentleman I cleaned it up. I did it from my phone so I may have missed some. If I did I will get it when I get on a laptop.

Eric and everyone else I apologize the thread got off base.

16. Member
    Thanks we appreciate your work.

No worries, I think I got my answer. Nobody really knows, I’ll let y’all know if I get a ticket this weekend lol

18. Member
    Eric, The courts have just ruled. So, Welcome Back to KY:
    By The Associated Press | May 4, 2020 at 9:44 PM EDT - Updated May 5 at 5:05 AM

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A federal judge has ruled that Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear’s restriction on travel amid the coronavirus pandemic is unconstitutional.

Preparedness plus Opportunity = Luck

19. Member
    As far as i know, like mentioned above, all of KY executive orders are not enforceable by law and are only voluntary. Gov Beshear mentioned a few times in his speeches that they are not going to be physically policing them(because they constitutionally cant from what i understand)

Been on the water all last week and saw plenty of out of state boats. Been from devils elbow, to eddy creek to kuttawa to KY dam and down past the moors and havent seen the first law enforcement officer. I think a bass boat is the least of their worries. They should go after the 15 people pilled into a pontoon if anything

Fishing has been good IMO. Got tough on saturday with the wind and pressure changes, but still managed to catch a limit of keeper bass about every day and a few 14" fish as well. Oh and a few 5lbers in the mix too. Good luck this weekend!

***Fishing report only applicable to KY or Barkley lake***
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

20. Member
    Good news on the fishing report I will be fishing in the little river next week and of course using social distancing. Things will be different this year no going to the lodge, Patty’s or Cadiz for dinner just fishing and hanging out in the house.