Crestliner XF189 info

Do any of y'all have opinions on the Crestliner XF189? I'm looking to buy a new tin boat late in the summer or early fall. The nearest Crestliner dealer is about 3 hours away. A friend has the VT18 and loves it. Pretty sure the XF189 replaced the VT18 in their lineup. I am also looking at Ranger RT's and Tracker 190 Tournament Edition, which are available at local dealers. Also plan to drive to check out the Vexus AVX189. The nearest dealer is about an hour and a half drive or it's about two and a half to their plant. The Vexus might not fit into my price range but sure want to look, and you can get it in Apricot(orange) that would go well with my Inferno(orange) Tundra (things like that are important to the boss lady). The XF189 at this particular dealer are a tad less expensive than the Tracker's and outfitted way better. So obviously they would be less expensive than Ranger or Vexus too. I must say though, I contacted Vexus for more info and they have been super responsive as well as the dealer they put me in contact with. Anyway, I welcome any and all opinions. Thanks y'all!

2. Member
    I have not fished from one, but I looked at one at the boat show recently. Very nice boat and a huge improvement over the model that it replaced, the VT 18. The front deck was huge and it kept it's width very far forward. The old cheap looking plastic console has been replaced with a nice looking fiberglass one. We bought a brand new boat last year and ruled out the VT 18. If I was currently shopping, the XF 189 would be on a short list of options for me if I was looking at tin. The seats were just OK, but the salesman said that the seats could be upgraded to the pro models. Another reason we ruled out the VT18 was because of the feel of the front deck. It had a lot of give as I walked across it. The salesman said that the XF models have a stronger deck and they added support braces under the storage compartment lids, which the VT models did not have.

It is also available with a 150 HP option. The salesman said that the standard model is rated for a maximum 115 HP. You have to upgrade to the max package to get the upgraded HP rating of the 150. This max package includes the upgraded HP rating and hydraulic steering. He did not say how much the upgrade was or what speeds could be obtained with the 150. He mentioned upper 40's with the 115. I'm sure the 150 would really push this boat.

If you haven't looked at one in person yet, go check one out. You will be impressed with the changes. I thought that it was nicer than the Tracker but not as nice as the Ranger. If the price of the one your dealer has comes in less than the Tracker, I think you would be crazy to not give it serious consideration. I looked at the Vexus at the show also and thought it was the nicest one of all.
    Last edited by madmurph; 05-01-2020 at 05:53 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks madmurph!

4. Member
    OH i can answer this one - boat from Crestliner comes with 90hp 4 stroke Mercury (don't care which boat). Upgrade from 90 to 115xs was $1450. Upgrade from 90 to 150 another $2850 not including the hydraulic steering ($900) or so. Dealer was in Michigan.

Anyhoo - for the plain old VT18 speeds were 40@90hp, 46@115hp (pro x), 55+? (guessing here, no spec sheet on it) for 150pro xs.

Scroll on down to 60-150hp on the page.

https://mercurymarine.widencollectiv...rformanceTests

This boat would be on my short list if I was buying tin. Hardest choice would be 115 or 150.

6. #FRB
    Just looking at the hulls I would think the Tracker would have the smoothest ride in the value boat category and they really did a good job with the new compartment layout on the 175 and 190. The Vexus is in a whole other class entirely with its pad hull and better fit and finish. If you can swing it go Vexus. If not go with which ever boat you feel is the best bang for your dollar. I would imagine the Tracker would have the softest landing in the rough stuff compared to the Crestliner. BUT, with the front deck on the Crestliner I would take a possibly rougher ride to get the better front deck. And I'm not sure the price of entry would be worth going with the 150hp on the Crestliner unless you're wanting maximum performance. Knowing me I'd just say "f it let's max this thing out" without putting more thought into it knowing I'd regret it later if I didn't max out the hp.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies y'all. I agree with you on the front deck/ride comparisons Highcentered.

8. Member
    There's a Crestliner Boat Owners facebook group. A few members there have the XF189.

9. Member
    Update: Just paid dealer deposit to build a 2021 Vexus AVX1880!

10. Member
    Congrats Mark. Excellent choice. I looked at all that you mentioned in your original post and thought this was the nicest one of all of them. Keep us posted. Did they give you an idea on the timeline of the build?

11. Member
    i looked at one of the 1880 it is rated for 135 if it had been rated for 150 i would have bought it ended up with a xpress x19 with 175 sho, rigging everything now hope to get in water later this week

Did you go with
    Apricot. The 1880 looks sweet in that color. It won me over. I also looked at the crestliner, tracker and xpress. I had a Ranger RT 178.

13. Member
    madmurph The Vexus rep told my dealer 6-8 weeks lead time when we were there looking at boats last Saturday. On the Purchase Agreement yesterday the dealer had a pick up date of August 3. So.....
    Last edited by MarkG52; 06-25-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Tagged poster

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankwv View Post
    Did you go with
    Apricot. The 1880 looks sweet in that color. It won me over. I also looked at the crestliner, tracker and xpress. I had a Ranger RT 178.
    crankwv We went with the Summit White over gray. My wife loved that color. Ironically, I have an Inferno(Orangish) colored Tundra that would have matched up great with the Apricot color from Vexus. When the boss lady gave her approval to get the Vexus I would have gone with most any color she wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkG52 View Post
    crankwv We went with the Summit White over gray. My wife loved that color. Ironically, I have an Inferno(Orangish) colored Tundra that would have matched up great with the Apricot color from Vexus. When the boss lady gave her approval to get the Vexus I would have gone with most any color she wanted!
    White is a nice color. I have a silver tundra. Tundras look nice with a vexus in tow. You are going to love the boat.