Thread: Pellet Grills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pellet Grills

My Masterbilt smoker has seen better days. I’m wanting to upgrade to a pellet grill. I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg but we use the smoker usually every other weekend. I’m figuring we will use the pellet grill much more. So what do the BBC gurus have to say. I’ve looked online at RecTec and Traegar. Both are a little to a lot more than I’m willing to spend right now. Pit Boss seems more reasonable but I know nothing about them.

Please send some knowledge my way.

Thanks, Brian

2. Member
    Rec Tec is all stainless vs the other 2 brands. Insulated lid, heavy duty. Customer service is great. Called at 5 cst with a question on first night with grill, left a message and Did not expect a call back until next day. They called me back 30 min later which would have been 6:30 their time. It was awesome in my opinion.

3. Member
    I have a Pit Boss and love it. Smoke, grill, sear my steaks on it about anything I want to do. Pit Boss is an under priced
    Traegar . Pit Bosses customer service is outstanding.

4. Member
    [QUOTE=bcklash;11078418]I have a Pit Boss and love it. Smoke, grill, sear my steaks on it about anything I want to do. Pit Boss is an under priced
    Traegar . Pit Bosses customer service is outstanding.
    [/QUOTE ditto to above]PITBOSS IS GREAT

5. Member
    I have a GMG that has been good to me, if I had to do it over I would buy the Rec Tec. GMG has good customer service but it seems I have had to use it more then I should. Several friends have the Rec Tec and I like the smoke that they put on the meat better then my GMG.
    John the Garage Doorman

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen. While I would love to have a RecTec, it is out of my price range for now. I am leaning towards a Pit Boss as it is quite a bit less expensive.

7. Member
    I just bought a Pitt Boss Classic Thursday night and I just used it for the first time today and will again tomorrow. This is my first pellet grill, and I can see myself loving this thing! At under $400 I don’t think you can really beat it.

Check out Camp Chef, also. They have lots of nice features.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

9. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I posted this on FB and several of my friends recommended the Pit Boss as well. A couple of those guys compete in BBQ competition circuits across the south. So I picked one up yesterday. Man that thing is heavy and seems to be built like a tank.

Thanks again.

10. Member
    REC TEC all the way. Save your money until you can buy one. I have a RT680 that is a beast. The best money I have spent in years. My grill is 3 1/2 years old and I wouldn’t take anything for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tr21xb250 View Post
    REC TEC all the way. Save your money until you can buy one. I have a RT680 that is a beast. The best money I have spent in years. My grill is 3 1/2 years old and I wouldn’t take anything for it.
    I’ve got the big red Rec Tec and love it .

12. Member
    Rec Tec. Buy once, Cry once. You will love this grill. I came from a Green Mountain grill.

Where is Rec Tec made?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye1 View Post
    Rec Tec is all stainless vs the other 2 brands. Insulated lid, heavy duty. Customer service is great. Called at 5 cst with a question on first night with grill, left a message and Did not expect a call back until next day. They called me back 30 min later which would have been 6:30 their time. It was awesome in my opinion.
    A friend just got the RecTec 700. Thing is a beast. So most of it looks stainless however when I ran a magnet over it most of it was magnetic which indicates its not stainless. The entire cooking chamber appears not to be stainless steel. I was thinking of getting the same one but if its not stainless its not worth the $$$$

Added from original Post: I did more research. It appears that the RT 700 uses Ferritic Steel which is stainless and also magnetic. Good News because I really liked this smoker!
    Last edited by Florida Jig Co.; 05-17-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

15. Member
    On the RecTec, can you sear like the pit boss?

Quote Originally Posted by northlander View Post
    Where is Rec Tec made?
    China

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

Thank you Bobcat 55. I could not find anything on that
    Has anyone on here have a Yoder grill that they would like to comment about?

18. Member
    There are several types of stainless....304 stainless is corrosion resistant and will attract magnets after it is formed...

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

20. Member
    I thought I would revive this thread with my comments based on almost a year of using the Rectec RT-700. These grills are well built and will maintain temperature pretty tight. I have couple minor complaints one of them is these grills need to have the pellet ash cleaned out after a long burn or you get ash blown on your food. This cleaning procedure is clearly communicated in the instructions but since it's so easy to use my wife has cooked on it without cleaning it up first. My second complaint I have is the temperature probes will sometimes display the temperature of the meats inaccurately. This is not a major issue on most cooks but over cooked fowl becomes dry, especially turkey. Knowing this up front you can use another probe to check the temperature but my first time cooking last Thanksgiving, the bird was borderline over cooked. With these minor complaints out of the way, this pellet grill just works and everything that I've cooked has been delicious. The grill is so easy to use, the hopper holds plenty of pellets, and build quality is above average. These grills are made in China and that is disappointing but unfortunately American craftsman fabrication would add another $500-750 to these grills and they would not be able to be competitive in a modern global economy. My only regret is not getting the 2500 BFG because I opted for the optional smoke box and competition cart. These accessories put me with-in a few hundred bucks of the larger more robust structurally built 2500 BFG. In closing I will say these grills certainly are loaded with the latest technology allowing your to remotely start/stop your grill, monitor the grill and food temperature via the (2) temperature probes, and alarm you once your food comes to temperature. They are every bit as convenient as a gas grill with better versatility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast