Question 17 Triton TRX21 Set up

What would be the best set up for maximum performance on a 17 Triton TRX-21? I’ve got a Mercury Pro XS 250, 10” manual jackplate, and a 24 pitch prop. I also have dual Power Poles. It will run around 72 mph and will start to chime walk around 66-67. It doesn’t have as much lift as I think it should. I don’t know RPM’s, or what the prop shaft is below the pad.

I want to know what size jackplate would be best, prop, PVS plugs and prop shaft below the pad.

Thanks!

2. Member
    I got a 2016 TRX 21 with twin 10' talons and hand the same issues. I switched to a Atlas hydraulic jackplate 12", added transom wedges, went from a 25 fury 3 blade to a Bravo 1 XS 4 blade 26p worked by Mark with 2 solid PVC plugs, 2 large plugs and 4 open and what a difference it made. Hole shot is much better with 2 anglers (250 lb. guys) and full live wells. Top speed with 2 guys full tournament load is 70 mph and the boat handles way better. From time to time I'll run my 3 blade for speed where I can get in the low 70's but put a load in the boat with full live wells and you need a good run to get on step. For the most part I just stick with my 4 blade. PTP with the Bravo 1 is 2 1/8 inches below pad and run my Fury deeper at 2 3/4 below pad. I've tried the Fury 4 24P and I didn't feel it got the lift like I get out of the Bravo 1 XS. Top speed was about the same.

I also put the boat on a diet and got rid of my 4 group 31 batteries in the back of the boat and went to 3 lithium pro batteries and have never been happier. I know they are a little expensive however the performance gains were worth it for me. Now if I was a 160 pound guy and my co-angler was the same then I may have done things differently! The biggest challenge with these boats is bow lift. Make sure you balance your weight and don't have your front storage boxes crammed full as they can hold a ton of weight which hurts performance. Put your plastics, jigs and weights behind the seats. Chime walk is pretty much gone unless I over-trim the boat but then it is on me not the boat. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info!

bowtech, is your TRX 21 the elite hull or the HP? New to triton and someone with a lot of Triton experience said they made two different hulls for the 21 TRX.

5. Member
    If the boat is CHINE walking check your prop to pad height your probably too low. What prop do you have now a tempest or a Fury 3? All the hulls are the same just a different trim package.