Thread: Gelcoat Finish

Gelcoat Finish

How is the gelcoat holding up on the Falcons?

I've been wanting to get a new boat now for the last couple years and dropped my basscat off at the shop this week to have the gelcoat worked on and to get new carpet installed before I list it for sale.

Gelcoat, carpet, fit/finish, and trailer on my cat have been my biggest complaints. Want to make sure the next boat I buy holds up a little better.

Currently trying to debate between Falcon and Phoenix. Local dealers are about the same distance from me as one another.

2. Member
    I've only had my boat since September. I store it inside, wipe it down every now and then with slick mist. Gel coat is as good as new.

When I bought the boat, it was sitting for more than a year. I suspect it was sitting outside for a period. But the gel coat still looked great. I would say the gel coat quality is pretty good, better than Triton and Nitro imo. Same goes for fit/finish and carpet. My buddies 2016 Triton definitely seems cheaper. My compartment gaskets are getting loose at some corners. Annoying, but easy fix, I suspect because they left it outside. Standard trailer is a Marine Master.....soooo questionable? Definitely complaints out there. Mine's been good so far, but definitely don't but that shit in even brackish water. It tows very well though. Stable and low, and it's a single axle. Very impressive.

Now, i have not seen a bass cat so I can't compare. But how far is your dealer? these are all questions you can answer yourself by taking a look at the showrooms. TBH i'm surprised you're complaining about those things on a Cat, those are generally areas where they are praised. Besides some minor issues like the compartment gaskets, I love my boat. Seems very solidly built.

3. Member
    bcb has best gelcoat and carpet in the market, much better than almost ANYONE else??? also best trailers on the market period? if you aren't happy with them I doubt anyone will make you happy ???

phoenix has poor gelcoat and cheap carpet so I would remove them from your list first!!!
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-04-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    bcb has best gelcoat and carpet in the market much better than almost ANYONE else??? also best trailers on the market period? if you aren't happy with them I doubt anyone will make you happy ???

phoenix has poor gelcoat and cheap carpet so I would remove them from your list first!!!
    X2

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    What Mactlman said! /\/\/\/\
    If your not happy with BCB's Gelcoat, carpet or trailer, than Phoenix is not your boat. I believe they use either 14 or 17 oz carpet. BCB uses 24oz.
    As far as Falcon, I cannot speak from experience with them.

Don
    Well he owns a stratos so I'm not sure how he can answer the question I asked.

I know every brand has its issues, just trying to do my due diligence before I make another investment in another new boat.

6. Member
    I don't think the company has been existing for long enough to answer your gelcoat questions. Most Falcon boats are 3 years old or less, too short to tell about gelcoat longevity.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crwood View Post

I know every brand has its issues, just trying to do my due diligence before I make another investment in another new boat.
    My dad has always owned basscats and I have seen lots of issues with phoenix gel and carpet. go to their area and look it up maybe?? rollers and bunks really messing up the gelcoat and lots of complaints about thin, poor quality carpet
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Banned
    Usually basscat or Ranger at top of list on those specific items...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crwood View Post

Yeah but even then you'd still notice stuff in the first three years. The seats on my cat had to be replaced after only 2 years due to quality issues that basscat wouldn't cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    My dad has always owned basscats and I have seen lots of issues with phoenix gel and carpet. go to their area and look it up maybe?? rollers and bunks really messing up the gelcoat and lots of complaints about thin, poor quality carpet
    I had the entire bottom of my cat redone two years ago and I had to buy a new trailer back in 2016. The bunks started scratching the bottom of the boat earlier this year and the trailer itself is already starting to have issues and it just turned 4 years old.

10. Member
    I've not heard of any Phoenix gel coat issues and I've seen a ton of their boats.

11. Member
    Phoenix gel is as good as bass cat they just don’t wet sand the boats like bass cat does they just polish them they have quality carpet it’s just not as thick Bass cat uses 24 oz Phoenix uses 20 oz

12. Member
    Still hoping to get some more Falcon owners to chime in. So far I think I've only heard from one.

13. Banned
    the initial finish is on par with Triton, Phoenix. Definitely not wet sanded and polished after it's removed from the mold. It's not bad though.

How long it'll hold up is anyone's guess, and that's completely dependent on how it was cared for.

14. Member
    Ive had my 205 for 2 1/2 summers and the gelcoat is beautiful with zero hairline stress cracks. Fit and finish is excellent. Carpet is not quite as thick as Bass Cats but truthfully when it rained that BCB carpet took a very long time to dry, the Falcon significantly quicker. Im very impressed with my boat.

15. Member
    Last edited by crwood; 07-14-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Falcon has quality gelcoat on them. I own two BassCats. Take a look at the Falcon Hybrid with no carpet. It looks awesome. Go to the factory which is not too far away and see it for yourself. It is not a BassCat but it is still a quality boat. As for you Phoenix, there are other boats out there that are better quality. JMO

Don't be Dull, Let Your Boat Shine with Pro-Tec WWW.PROTECPRODUCTS.COM

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I know that NO boat manufactured is perfect. I also know that BCB has top quality gel coat resins. They use top quality carpet.
    I have had older BCB boats than yours and were still in pristine condition for its year.

I think Falcon makes a fine machine. But if your reason for getting another boat is to get better Gelcoat, Carpet, and seats, your wasting time.
    If your going to another brand because it interest you than thats a different reason.
    2011 Sabre

98 Jag

I take care of my rigs. They stay under a shed. Not climate controlled. They get waxed.
    I don't usually post (this subject type) on a Non BCB forum, as I think its in bad taste and disrespectful to the moderator and Falcon owners. My posts have nothing to do with the quality or build of Falcon Boats. I hope that is understood.

Don
    I do not like the layout or narrow front deck on my boat. Layout is probably one of the biggest reasons for me wanting to switch brands (besides the issues mentioned above). My fishing partner often comes to the front deck during team tournaments and having two people up front and 3 rods on either side of the deck has caused some issues.

Falcon's plant being so close to me is a big plus and I like the dealer that is close to me.

I like the layout of the new 920 Elite Phoenix and part of that is due to the co-angler rod storage since my fishing partner likes to bring 11 plus rods with him and always complains about not being able to organize his stuff on my boat. There is a phoenix dealer that is within the same distance from me as the Falcon dealer, but I do not have any prior dealings with them.

After looking at the Falcons this year at the fishing expos I was very impressed with some of the things they did. The layout and how the rods boxes open as well as the battery compartment lids make things very convenient and easy to access. The deck space is also a huge plus.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cat19 View Post
    Falcon has quality gelcoat on them. I own two BassCats. Take a look at the Falcon Hybrid with no carpet. It looks awesome. Go to the factory which is not too far away and see it for yourself. It is not a BassCat but it is still a quality boat. As for you Phoenix, there are other boats out there that are better quality. JMO
    Me and a coworker might be going down to take a tour of the factory.

If I lived closer to the coast and was doing some inshore fishing I would consider the hybrid, but I saw a post somewhere that the sea dek material won't last as long as carpet. I feel like it would be more expensive to replace the sea dek than carpet.

But it is a very sharp looking boat.

19. Member
    I think most of the boats use the same or similiar gels coat materials now. There is a difference between modern clear coats and the ones from 20 years ago. You could wet sand an old boat and it had layers of clear coat on it. Now boats have a thinner clear coat layer if that makes sense. Just a different chemical material. It is very smooth but I feel it scratches easier and any scratch that you get goes deeper if that makes sense. But they all seem the same to me looking at my boat vs others.

JUST A NOTE: the Falcon owners were and still have a company that does glass repair, most boat builders use them ( glass shop) to fix the damaged boats of all brands. in our area. best work out their and as far as the FALCON GEL, very high quality workmanship
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS