Questions, New to Lowrance, HDS 9gen3/SS3D

I just purchased a boat with a HDS9 Gen3 installed, it also has Structure scan 3D. I have done some initial looking to see what all is installed, but need some direction in troubleshooting.

The head unit itself seems to be operating as it should (as far as I can tell). GPS/Mapping seem ok, I get 2d sonar seemingly fine. But I get no images on Side or Downscan or 3D. It appears I have a small skimmer transducer on the transom(I assume for the 2D) and I also have the large SS3D transducer mounted next to it. I've done some searching on here and will list what I've done so far. I have not tried to update any software yet.. which may be the issue but wanted advice first as I've read about different problems with different versions.

I've done a Hard reset on the headunit, (I had nothing stored in it and figured it was best to start from scratch with some things not working).

I read about the x-ducer cables not being connected properly in other SS3D threads, I checked and did have to swap cable 1 & 2.

I tested it all yesterday and still no SI,DI or 3d images. But now an added item, when I select the 3D unit as the "source" it will start then go to "sonar stopped" on its own. Lights on 3D box are on and green, but x-ducer lights are blinking indicating they cannot find bottom.

Any other physical things to check?
    Should I go ahead and update both units with the latest Software or another version? Where could I get a non current version?
    the unit I believe has 16.0 ? I cant remember whats in SS3D, I'll add that when I can check it this evening.
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

2. Member
    S3D-53.1.94 is what is displayed a source and on SI screen. I assume this can be interpreted as the software version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andy Lavin
    Director:

3. Member
    What exactly is wrong with it? It appears to be working fine in the driveway. You won’t see an image if not on the water.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    Yes, it would be best to go to Lowrance and get the latest updates for your Unit and Transducer. I have to ask, I know you said you have a Gen3 Unit , 3D transducer, but you do have the 3D module as well right? You have to have that too, the regular strutcure scan module will not give you 3d. Also, you might have to actually go into setting and turn on 3D sonar again since you said you did a hard reset to factory. Now the placement of skimmer and transducer could be problematic as you stated they were next to each other. You also need to make sure it's not to close to the motor so you don't get a lot of prop wash from there....
    This may help you as well https://www.google.com/search?client...SitQX8zr_YBQ32
    also look on youtube for paulsgettysfishing, he has plenty of Lowrance tutorial videos....
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    What exactly is wrong with it? It appears to be working fine in the driveway. You won’t see an image if not on the water.

NoCAL
    I noticed that when I got home and started it to get the number from the 3D unit. When I had it out on the water on Wednesday, the 2D worked and no imaging under "this unit". When I switched source to "S3D...." on the water, and on the imaging screen i posted, it would start to draw for a couple seconds and then it would stop sonar itself and have "stopped" displayed on the screen, 2d was still functioning as normal. When I looked a the 3D modulelights were on and green, transducer lights were blinking and green indicating it could not detect bottom.

I'll update software on both units to the latest and test again.
    Can I download both updates to the same SD card or should I use a separate card for each?
    Andy Lavin
    Director:

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos976 View Post
    I noticed that when I got home and started it to get the number from the 3D unit. When I had it out on the water on Wednesday, the 2D worked and no imaging under "this unit". When I switched source to "S3D...." on the water, and on the imaging screen i posted, it would start to draw for a couple seconds and then it would stop sonar itself and have "stopped" displayed on the screen, 2d was still functioning as normal. When I looked a the 3D modulelights were on and green, transducer lights were blinking and green indicating it could not detect bottom.

I'll update software on both units to the latest and test again.
    Can I download both updates to the same SD card or should I use a separate card for each?
    I have never used the same card, it boots to the root of the card, so it may give you the option to choose which one you want to update each time.... IDK....
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

7. Member
    You can use one card. The extensions are different. The units end in .upd and update automatically. The module has a different extension and you'll have to manually update.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    Cant tell for sure from the photo, is that a 53.1.94 or a 58.1.94? 58.1.94 was a 3.0 load. If the naming convention holds true, 53.1.94 would be even an earlier version. I would definitely upgrade to a more current version and see if that doesn't resolve your issue.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mak747 View Post
    Cant tell for sure from the photo, is that a 53.1.94 or a 58.1.94? 58.1.94 was a 3.0 load. If the naming convention holds true, 53.1.94 would be even an earlier version. I would definitely upgrade to a more current version and see if that doesn't resolve your issue.
    yes its 53.1.94, I plan on updating this evening or tomorrow.
    Andy Lavin
    Director:

10. BBC SPONSOR
    I am having a very similar issue with the green lights for the transducer blinking and my 3-D pauses and doesn't ping smoothly. I also do not have down imaging at all unless I go back to an older software update 7.0 for my graph and select sonichub2 for whatever reason under source very strange

11. BBC SPONSOR
    All of my issues were because i had my 12 gen 2 touch networked via ethernet cable. Removed the gen 2 from the gen 3 and it worked flawless. What a epic fail on lowrance. There is no reason that those 2 units should not be a be able to share mapping/waypoints.

12. Member
    I downloaded and installed updates to the latest software for both the HDS 9 Gen3 and my SS3D module. This so far has fixed any of the issues I was having with either. Structure scan is working well as well as the 3d function.

Just wanted to update and complete the thread if it comes up in a search. Its bothersome to me when searching for an issue and find a thread that is open ended!
    Andy Lavin
    Director:

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos976 View Post
    I downloaded and installed updates to the latest software for both the HDS 9 Gen3 and my SS3D module. This so far has fixed any of the issues I was having with either. Structure scan is working well as well as the 3d function.

Just wanted to update and complete the thread if it comes up in a search. Its bothersome to me when searching for an issue and find a thread that is open ended!
    Thanks for doing that. One of the biggest reasons for problems between networked units is they are not running the same software.
    ciao,
    Marc