Pulled my boat 200 miles with the tarp on , never again

The tarp scuffed up the boat pretty good, I have waxed it and there are still a few areas where you can see the scuff marks, I guess I need to use buffing compound ? It is mainly on the top cap, what you recommend i do ? Thanks

2. Member
    Never ever ever ever tow with a cover any kind , it's not worth it , wet sand and buff a few times you can go through the gel and shine the flake. I feel your pain last boat twice it got scuffed.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    Never ever ever ever tow with a cover any kind , it's not worth it , wet sand and buff a few times you can go through the gel and shine the flake. I feel your pain last boat twice it got scuffed.
    I will most likely have a pro do it, it is not terrible but it drives me nuts seeing it on a beautiful boat.

4. Moderator
    The cover will sure put scratches in your boat when towing.

5. Member
    Good idea , nothing worse than thinking about damage at night laying in bed I am never happy till damage is fixed.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

6. Member
    It's a terrible feeling...I can't rest until something is fixed!

7. Member
    Especially a new boat!
    Wakinvol
    I used to be cool

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingBanana View Post
    It's a terrible feeling...I can't rest until something is fixed!
    This^^^

Man I hate to hear this. Get it repaired and will be as good as new!!
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

That’s a beautiful boat! Have someone that really knows what they’re doing to fix it. And never never again tow with a cover. Some guys do, I never will.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    The tarp scuffed up the boat pretty good, I have waxed it and there are still a few areas where you can see the scuff marks, I guess I need to use buffing compound ? It is mainly on the top cap, what you recommend i do ? Thanks
    Send me pics to this number 919-631-2019 and gimme a buzz...I’ll help you with it.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Member
    Wrap the boat with siran(spelling) wrap where the cover hits the boat and problem solved.

12. Banned
    Next time use plastic wrap... Every time I tow I put 2 layers of plastic wrap on the boat where the cover contacts the boat. Then every 6 inches use some clear packing tape to keep the wind from getting underneath it and tearing it... Works like a dream, no scuff marks... If I'm gonna travel more that an hour from the house and they're calling for rain the Aurora cover goes on... Nothing worse than a grimy boat... Dan

13. Member
    Contact Phil Ransonet (Phil's Custom Covers) he is on Facebook. He makes the best cover for Bullet and he hand sews felt everywhere the cover contacts the boat. 20200203_171701.jpg

Custom cover with felt liner is the best optiion in my opinion. I use mine only if raining...hate road grime on boat and carpet. If cover gets wet (with road grime included) I wash and dry the cover before removing. If washing is not possible get someone to help so you can fold the cover with out the outside touching the inside. Boat and cover are 20 yrs old and never a problem.

15. Member
    Never had an issue with any of my covers. I have extra felt installed on all of them.

16. Member
    It's the straps that do the damage not the felt part , hence the guys saying wrap the straps with plastic wrap. You could tow with a cover for a 100 years and have no issue or you can tow once and scuff up the gel and that's enough to make you never tow with a cover again. I have seen plenty of boats get scuffed up by covers and the guys will never do it again it's sour .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO