Thread: North Florida

North Florida

Just moved to Orange Park. Have spent most of my life fishing North Texas and the mountain lakes in Virginia. My brother and I have been fishing different spots every weekend, but haven't really put it together yet. Usually just a couple of dinks each trip.

So far we have fished Dr Lake, Julington Creek, Black Creek, and Crescent Lake. We are aware of most of the lakes in our surrounding area and the river, but need some direction on which are worth the time, and what to stay away from.

We've been looking within an hour and half drive of OP. We also know that Rodman is in the top of the list, but have heard that the ramps are closed.

Looking at George, Kerr, Santa Fe, Orange, Stella and any others close by. Can you guys give us some good reccommendations?

Thanks!

They are all good, but challenging. You just need to spend time on the water and there is a lot to cover.

welcome to Florida.

our club is starting the new season first Saturday of June if you’re interested. We fish all those areas.

http://www.jaxbassclub.com/
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    I grew up in Gainesville and fished all over the area.

Rodman, Orange and Lochloosa are worth learning and put out a lot of big fish.

Little Orange Lake outside of Hawthorne can be excellent at times and has some big fish

Santa Fe is a solid #'s lake at times but has a lot of non-fishing boat traffic on week ends.

Newnan's Lake outside of Gainesville is making a come back and is a sleeper.

4. Member
    Welcome. Shoot me a message and pass my your phone number. One of my pleasures is meeting new folks and helping them around the area. I cam to Jax for the Navy in 94 and am retired in Fleming Island. Coming and going from Jax I taught myself the river and surrounding areas. I would love to assist you learn it quicker.

There are many good people who fish locally and within the state, however, I learned quickly--if you want to learn the river you better just go learn it. Getting my surge brakes worked on and get boat back today. I am fishing this weekend and all next week. Love to show you around. Can take your boat also.

I like fishing artificial lures but live bait is pure magic in Florida.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

6. Member
    River always my #1 go to. Just have to put in ALOT of time.
    2019 Blazer 625 / G2 250
    1996 21XD Bullet SOLD
    2015 Phoenix 920 / 250 Pro XS SOLD
    ALX Rods. www.alxrods.com
    The Best Designed and most Sensitive Bass Fishing Rod in the USA!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperPro210Phil View Post
    I see you are from OP too. When you are talking river, do you mean from Palatka south? We fished trout creek Sunday and did ok.

We fished Trout two weeks back but hit it a day or so late according to the reports. They where hitting top water three days ahead of the new moon but slowed in the latter three. We went up nearly to the 16A bridge but the bite slowed as the sun popped. Hitting the Ocklawaha tomorrow.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperPro210Phil View Post
    It can be good from Doctors lake all the way to Astor. Just have to break it down one area at a time.
    2019 Blazer 625 / G2 250
    1996 21XD Bullet SOLD
    2015 Phoenix 920 / 250 Pro XS SOLD
    ALX Rods. www.alxrods.com
    The Best Designed and most Sensitive Bass Fishing Rod in the USA!

10. Member
    I'm a pretty good bass fisherman. Not great, but I would say above average. But, I will say when I fish the St. John's almost always around the Astor area I SUCK. It kicks my butt. Before the hurricane a couple years ago when there was actually some eelgrass on Lake George I did okay. Not great by any means but okay. I'm completely lost on Lake George and the river by Astor, Lake Dexter and Lake Woodruff now. It's frustrating, but I will continue to try and learn it.
    Brad Krone

11. Member
    Its been kicking my butt since I started fishing it. I try to fish 3 days a week. I fish the main river at least once and it kicks my behind. Then I hit the creeks or a small lake to get my self esteem back. Fished main river 3 hours this am without a bite. Got tired, and ran up a creek close by and pulled 3 decent in the first 30 mins.

I haven't gone down to Palatka to put in the main river yet, but we did put in on Dunns Creek 2 weeks ago and did alright.

Rodman ramp fine 5/29...water up...lots of veg...enjoy

SJR weak late spring due to 5 cold fronts after Easter plus drought BUT some improvement recently...
    I judge improvement by # of bags over 10# and bass 4+...in club weighs...

Was my weakest year start in many years...2 over 5# and few limits...some talk of bass seen on beds again...
    they had to be confused after Easter...20-30mph winds 3 weeks straight churned shallows...

Read cover closely and shade is your friend...tides a factor...its all a puzzle...move at least 10x each trip...
    take notes when you catch 2 on a bank or pad line...date/tide/wind direction/bait etc
    Last edited by reelman; 06-01-2020 at 12:19 PM.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

We just hit the River again this week with limited success. Launched at Trout creek and ran to Tocoi and back. All the bites came in Trout on a frog but may have done better slowing down and flipping.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    We just hit the River again this week with limited success. Launched at Trout creek and ran to Tocoi and back. All the bites came in Trout on a frog but may have done better slowing down and flipping.
    We fished docks North of Tocoi last Sunday with no luck. That's the day we ran back up to the creek and caught a few.

I know Im not in the right spots, because the DI looks smooth as glass in the spots we've fished on the main river. I did find some grass on a point north of where we put in. Had a bite or two, but I suspect mudfish or gar.

We usually catch our fish flipping the pads. Its hard to commit to the river when I know I can catch a couple in the creek. I plan to do like Reelman says next time out and move a lot. I get spotlocked and just keep going down the bank.

Update 6/16: caught 9.23 June 3 and 6.96 June 9 ...then not a bite the next 3 trips to Rodman...Florida bass are very sensitive, some may say spoiled

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

16. Member
    Went to Rodman with Jason(Orion922) yesterday. It was tough. Couple of older guys at the ramp said they didn't fair too well either.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehill79 View Post
    We fished docks North of Tocoi last Sunday with no luck. That's the day we ran back up to the creek and caught a few.

I know Im not in the right spots, because the DI looks smooth as glass in the spots we've fished on the main river. I did find some grass on a point north of where we put in. Had a bite or two, but I suspect mudfish or gar.

We usually catch our fish flipping the pads. Its hard to commit to the river when I know I can catch a couple in the creek. I plan to do like Reelman says next time out and move a lot. I get spotlocked and just keep going down the bank.
    You won't see grass in the river on your electronics - even before the storms it was limited to around 3' depth on any given tide. Use your electronics in open water off points to scan the shell, and image under docks.

In a few more seasons without any more hurricanes, you'll be fishing 99% main river like it was in the past.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    You won't see grass in the river on your electronics - even before the storms it was limited to around 3' depth on any given tide. Use your electronics in open water off points to scan the shell, and image under docks.

In a few more seasons without any more hurricanes, you'll be fishing 99% main river like it was in the past.
    This confuses me! I could follow grass lines and make several marks then follow?