Thread: Kerr lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Kerr lake

Looks like they pulled 2' of water out of Kerr in one day according to the US lake website. I honestly didn't think they could get much water thru it in that short of time. Every bed that I seen Sat is dry now.

2. Member
    They are more worried about the damn stripers than they are the bass.

They do that a lot every year. I think they should hold it 310 from April to May
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

4. Banned
    Maybe they were preparing for the heavy rains forecasted for tonight, or are just being stupid?

5. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Looks like they pulled 2' of water out of Kerr in one day according to the US lake website. I honestly didn't think they could get much water thru it in that short of time. Every bed that I seen Sat is dry now.
    Site / Info is incorrect @ 2000 this evening its at 302.15 Two weeks ago it was at 303 and some change. I also fished this weekend and it was 302.22 @ appox. 0800.

They are and have been making power but think about it if your site was correct Gaston docks would be under water or close to it.

6. Member
    Gambler Pro2 I believe you're correct. If you look at the graph you'll see that the lake level dropped 2 feet in 0 time, it has done this earlier this year and it took a fairly long time to get corrected.

Normal pool is 300, at that level the lake surface area is 50K acres +/-, recent levels were 302, at that level surface acres could have been in the 60-65K range +/-, that's a huge volume of water to pass through the damm in 0 time.

I think something has knocked the gauge out of whack.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=rnk

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GamblerPro2 View Post
    Site / Info is incorrect @ 2000 this evening its at 302.15 Two weeks ago it was at 303 and some change. I also fished this weekend and it was 302.22 @ appox. 0800.

They are and have been making power but think about it if your site was correct Gaston docks would be under water or close to it.
    Thats what I was wondering. I have never seen them pull 2' out in 24 hours for a lake the size of Kerr. I have seen the same thing in High Rock with the data not being correct.

8. Banned
    Big drop on corp site shows it dropped 2 feet from 9am on the 28th to 5pm on the 28th and at 6pm it went back to the 9am level. Evident now that the DCP gauge data that was sent to the satelites got jumbled somehow and it never really actually dropped. Maybe some hackers???? They try and hold levels at or around 302 for the strippers untill mid or late May according to their website goals.

9. Member
    U talking about lockjaw, drop just 6 inches and you about can forget it.

10. Member
    FYI, I am on the water 3 to 4 days a week for the Corps. I am the one of the ones you will see in the Sea Ark with the Army Corps of Eng in red on the side. One of our many duties on the lake are checking bouys for correct placement and condition and if lighted that they are working also we check and maintain the docks and ramps belonging to the Corps. We are always aware of the current water level and clarity which I find helps with my weekend plans. This web site will help https://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/dsskerr.txt, its posted hourly also shows inflow and outflow.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GamblerPro2 View Post
    FYI, I am on the water 3 to 4 days a week for the Corps. I am the one of the ones you will see in the Sea Ark with the Army Corps of Eng in red on the side. One of our many duties on the lake are checking bouys for correct placement and condition and if lighted that they are working also we check and maintain the docks and ramps belonging to the Corps. We are always aware of the current water level and clarity which I find helps with my weekend plans. This web site will help https://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/dsskerr.txt, its posted hourly also shows inflow and outflow.
    Good deal. Thanks for your help on the lake and the website.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    Big drop on corp site shows it dropped 2 feet from 9am on the 28th to 5pm on the 28th and at 6pm it went back to the 9am level. Evident now that the DCP gauge data that was sent to the satelites got jumbled somehow and it never really actually dropped. Maybe some hackers???? They try and hold levels at or around 302 for the strippers untill mid or late May according to their website goals.
    I haven't been to Kerr in a while, I don't remember the strippers at all. It's great that they are being courteous to them, I may need to make trip up there.

13. Member
    in general.... does Kerr fish better when it's high or low? And which is better rising water or falling water?
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

14. Member
    I like it better at 302-303, but low water can be some good fishing too. Rising is def. better than falling, a 6" drop will pull them off the bank in a minute.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    I like it better at 302-303, but low water can be some good fishing too. Rising is def. better than falling, a 6" drop will pull them off the bank in a minute.
    I like the same levels as you but I prefer falling water. For my style of fishing I have always done better on a falling water on just about every lake and even tidal water. Either way Kerr is a great place to fish (my favorite) for me as long as the water is above 301. Below that then I usually don't catch them very good unless I make real long runs to the other end of the lake.

16. Member
    Seems like very time I get on them the water falls out a little and can’t catch crap lol

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Seems like very time I get on them the water falls out a little and can’t catch crap lol
    Yep!! Every Spring..

18. Member
    I was at Kerr day before yesterday and water level was at 302. something. Launched at Hibernia and fished Little Nutbush and some Big Nutbush. Stayed till winds got up a bit. All appeared good to me. Heading back in a few days probably to County Line ramp.

Water is falling purdy hard but it’s been fishin good !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

20. Member
    Ramp @ North Bend is now open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast