Mist coming out of telltell not a stream

So I have a 1997 Mercury 200 efi #0G550117 I first noticed it wasn’t peeing at the end of the day we had set down and started to idol over a spot to fish and the motor started acting up I looked and noticed it was misting and not a stream so lucky we wasn’t far from the weight in so I had my partner run the trolling motor to the ramp as I worked on it I removed the hoses to make sure no obstruction in them remove thermostats and it was doing the same thing after that so we put on the trailer weigh in and left the next weekend I replace the impeller and gaskets noticed the old impeller was In Great shape so there wasn’t any change in the mist so it was last August I had water spraying from the gasket at the power head so I got a the gaskets and replace the one between the power head and exhaust plate and the one between exhaust plate and the assembly so I thought that maybe i messed up but I pulled the power head again and replaced every gasket from power head to the lower unit so now I am at a loss not sure if it’s the poppet valve assembly or maybe a head gasket I put a water hose directly to intake tube with out it running and it had a good stream but not when running with impeller pushing water in any help would greatly appreciate

thanks

2. Member
    You have PM
    JSRE
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com
    832 597 2603 cst

3. Member
    Pretty sure you need a new impeller. I wouldn't drive it until its diagnosed. Threw a piston on our first bass boat motor when engine got too hot!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommend starting at the SOURCE: The Water Pump. At a minimum: All three (3) gaskets and the impeller (better yet- a complete kit). Use dawn dishsoap to lubricate the impeller.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    +1 I use IVORY , my first wife name was DAWN cant use her name and lube in same thread or any where for that matter
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I replaced impeller the next day it was still doing the same thing I think I have something on the intake side of the water pump I am going to pull the lower unit off and see if there is anything going on I put a water hose on the intake tube in the mid section and pee’ed a good stream so I feel like it’s got to be below the pump ant the pick up or pump intake

7. Member
    Popper could be stuck open or thermostats stuck shut, but would be rare if both stuck open.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    I changed poppet and it still doing it going to pull the lower unit and check the pump again make sure nothing stuck on bottom side

9. Member
    Ok checked out pump again everything looks good no blockage i am starting to think it’s a head gasket that’s all that left

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You said you replaced the IMPELLER. Did you also replace THREE GASKETS?

That is very likely the problem- missing gasket material in one of the lower (2) gaskets.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I replaced the 2 gasket and the metal piece between the gaskets along with impeller and housings but as I said in the beginning the impeller wasn’t showing any ware on it. it looked like new so and I noticed a slight skip also so I don’t some YouTube research and everything I came up with was blown head gasket so that is my next move

12. Member
    very possible check compression look at plugs for signs of moisture
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Each one of those 3 (THREE) gaskets is VERY critical- we MANY of them each year that were supposedly replaced and have a section missing (resulting in aerated water supply to the water pump).

In addition- watch the water pressure readings. In some cases- a blown head gasket may present with "pulsating" water pressure (at a rate commensurate with engine RPM's). Not in every case... but often enough to make note of it.

14. Member
    It was a blown head gasket on cylinder #2

15. Member

16. Member
    sho did

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

18. Member
    Torque specs are 30ftlb or at least that’s what I keep seeing thanks for any help

19. Member
    Does anyone know if 30ftlb is correct

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman1 View Post
    Does anyone know if 30ftlb is correct
    Three-Stage Torque:

-Snug

-30 lbs/ft

-Additional 90 degrees in the final pass (new head bolts are recommended for this reason).