garmin livescope walleye trolling

I've been researching Garmin live scope the current model with perspective. I am not sure how this technology would work for someone who primarily trolls for walleye in the great lakes?

2. Member
    Do more research. You also want to look at PS30 and PS31 for trolling. Check Youtube for videos.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Let me word it differently. How can the current up to date livescope model lvs32 help me while trolling?

4. Member
    I don't troll so I don't know. I posted what I did because I've seen several posts from people who do and used the two I named. There was even one where the guy mounted the PS30 to point front to back instead of side to side. Maybe someone who does troll will se-e this and post.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanemc View Post
    Let me word it differently. How can the current up to date livescope model lvs32 help me while trolling?

How deep will you be trolling?
    You can just aim the LVS at your lure. A rotating mount off the transom should do it.

6. Member
    Maybe 40ft or so depth.

7. Member
    I do a lot of trolling and have the LVS32 on my rig. Mounted at the helm on a rotating pole. I use it several ways while trolling in combination with 3n1 transducer and an LSS2 with sonar hub. If im trolling deep water Ill leave it in forward view, and can cover every angle on the boat watching forward, and side scan along with down scan. If im trolling shorelines pulling boards up shallow ill aim it towards shore to get an understanding of where the concentrations of fish are.

I will say that I could pry do most of this (besides forward view) using the 3n1 or even the LSS2. I have never been able to watch my lures while trolling. Some guys have and posted videos of it, Ive never been able to clearly see that than again water here is the clarity of crappy coffee with lots of debris.

it really shines vertical presentations and is at its best when ice fishing when its completely stationary.

Waiting out this whole perspective view issue before I give that one a go, but I could see that being useful trolling when pointed behind the boat especially If i could tune it to see multiple lures running but im not holding my breath

8. Member
    PS 30 is the way to go for speeds above 2.5 -3.0 mph. I LOVE my LiveScope and it shines when I'm on the trolling motor fishing structure, flats - horizontal or vertical. I can see individual stones, boulders, bushes, limbs and even fish. But, when trying to idle with my big engine the distortion leaves a little to be desired. Still better than anything else I've tried but in order to maximize the best possible application for this situation - the PS30 mounted in either direction provides a more detailed and clear view.
    BCB Lynx
    Mercury 250 ProXs 4-Stroke

9. Member
    There was a recent video on youtube with someone using it in open water. Perspective mode works good!

10. Member
    I troll a lot, I have only had Garmin LiveScope LVS32 for two months. all winter I was trying to find out if it would work for the way I fish. I fish in water that is 10 to 200 feed deep. use downriggers a lot, don't fish for walleye a lot but will use downriggers to catch them.
    I had a hard time finding what I wanted, most of what you find is people jigging in shallow water.
    but I went and bought the (Garmin $4000). ECHOMAP Ultra 126sv just the live scope).. have a lot to learn but I found out this works good for trolling, I think it works better for trolling than jigging.
    I love this Livescope and catch a lot of fish with it. so just bot the PS 30 transducer. another $1000. going to mound it today. on a pole on the back of the boat so I can turn it both ways.

11. Member
    I have used the LVS32 for trolling Kokanee a lot, I have it on a pole near my tiller, point it backwards and watch downrigger ball, lures behind the ball and fish come to it. That is in 40-50 fow. I fish walleye a lot but have not done so much since having Livescope. I am curious to see how perspective mode might work for tracking behind boat, I think it well take a bracket that will allow you to adjust angle to more than the Garmin bracket!

12. Member
    I was trolling yesterday at the lake pulling Umbrella Rigs about 80 feet behind the boat. Trolling for Stripers and Hybrids at 2.5-2.8 mph. The LVS32 was mounted on a Fishing Specialties pole. Forward view, pointed to the rear of the boat. I could see the Umbrella Rig. I turned the grid on to help determine the trolling depth. I think the advantage will be the Livescope will enable you to adjust trolling depths because you see the fish before they get to the baits. In the summer, we troll for schooling fish. You see them on the depth finder, they hit your baits, you reel them in, set everything back out, turn around and the fish are gone. I am hoping Livescope will enable me to figure out where they went. I played around with Perspective with a 3D printed Facebook mount running 2.33. Rolled the software back. My Perspective Mount from Garmin is due to arrive tomorrow so I will try looking to the front of the boat with Perspective. Will keep everyone posted.

13. Member
    PS31 might do better for that. In a test I ran I could spot a single 16 in walleye 70 ft deep 160 ft away. A school would show up real well. 160 was the limit. Couldn't see it at 165 or 170.

14. Member
    Thanks everyone for responding. I now see it can be a useful tool. I just have to get out on the water and see it first hand.

15. Member
    It all depends on presentation. Are you using leadcore and planar boards? Dipsys? Flatlining deep divers? Worm harness? Common sense would tell you the further away from and smaller your presentation gets the harder it will be to see. I have had good luck seeing lures behind my boat in very dirty water about 50 feet back. Really clearing up the screen is the key because a small lure is like one or two pixels big. If you are trolling it and it is staying suspended in one spot it can be tough to distinguish between the lure and other clutter. When you jig it up and down even though it looks like the other clutter you can tell its a lure that you are moving but a more static presentation like trolling can get lost in the clutter. Even though the livescope is picking your lure up it just gets lost. I turn TVG and noise reduction all the way up which really clears up the screen. I also turn my color gain all the way up. Then I adjust my gain. I am still pretty new to it but if I get the pole turned the right direction I can see quite a bit. Also keep in mind the transducer creates quite a bit of drag when trolling so your mount has to be stout. My trolling speed for striper is faster than what you would use for walleye and I also fight tides. Sometimes there is a heck of alot of pressure on that mount.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    PS31 might do better for that. In a test I ran I could spot a single 16 in walleye 70 ft deep 160 ft away. A school would show up real well. 160 was the limit. Couldn't see it at 165 or 170.
    This
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry